Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
rjsurfer

How do I finish a new cabinet door?

I got the bright idea to remove the mouse hole and pull out all the coiled 30amp power cord beneath the oven and just flush mount a waterproof 30amp connector to the outside, no more stuffing a stiff 25' cord back into that compartment.

No problem there, then I got the bright idea to turn that area into a shoe closet and purchased a red oak cabinet door to replace the thin panel that closed up the front of the compartment. I just received the new door and realized I have to put a finish on it to match the rest of the red oak cabinets.

Its been 50 years since I took wood shop so I don't know what I need to do.

I'm guessing a coat of oak stain then varnish?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Steve S

What's on your cabinets now? Is it a high gloss, low luster? Do you have any pics?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If your present cabinets are "red oak", I'd get a few small pieces of scrap oak and try 2 or 3 different "red oak" stains on each one until you find one that is a decent match. When you find one that is, then go ahead and stain the door. Often, samples of pre-stained wood with a variety of stains are located in the same store section as the stains and finishes.

Instead of varnish, I'd recommend a polyurethane-type finish. They come in 3 or 4 different types of "shine" -- flat, satin, low and high gloss. Varnish is more difficult to apply and takes a lot longer to dry. There are many good "varnish" type finishes out there that work as good as or better than varnish. These newer finishes are easy to apply and after 2-3 coats with a light sanding in between, the finished product will look quite good.

Applying a finish over stained wood will usually darken it slightly.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
EricLynnAllison

I built a whole set of cabinets in my garage and finished them with laquer. I would suggest you take one of your finished doors along with your new door to someplace like woodworks. They can show which stain and finish to use. They are experts in helping people work with wood. Don't go to a big box store.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
rjsurfer

Good idea about bringing an old cabinet door with me...I'm not sure if it's a gloss or satin finish.

Ron
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
theeyres

If you are going to have somebody else finish the door, taking a sample door is a good idea. My experience in adding doors over the years to other RVs is that most RV's are done with white oak, not red. You should still be able to get close enough that nobody will notice. If you diy I would agree with the poly, not true varnish. Will go on easier and will be more durable than the thin coat of lacquer that is sprayed on the existing cabinets.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
WaltBennett

I did a fair amount of modification to our old TT about five years ago. Used leftover unfinished red oak with tung oil as a finish and it matched perfectly. No stain or sealer at all was needed.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
LM3929

I gave the nice service manager at CW the vin of our trailer with the size of the door we wanted and a picture, about 10 days later we received a door that matched our cabinets

Lorne M.
LM3929 is offline   Reply With Quote