Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
CUFFS054

Question Changing Tub to Shower Stall

My 2010 Springdale 291 RKSSL came with a tub/shower combo. Not only is it small but it requires a high step getting in or out. Both of us are getting up in age and the step is getting worrisome. I use a small stool to get in, but getting out is not good.
Anybody got idea on how to yank tub out and put pre-fab shower in?
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Justvisiting2day

SHower tub

First very carefully, check the edges of the tub, it was MAYBE the last to go in. Or you may have to remove the whole pile and start over. If the tub is kinda separate you may get round the edges with a strong putty knife or use a sharp plastic as not to cut any thing you want to keep .

If it were mine, being as dangerous as I am I would find all the screws as possible, remove them and take it all out. Then start with a new shower that fits you.

You are too far away to bring it over, but
Good luck inn your venture.
Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
CUFFS054

Chuck, ILL have to pull out the surround to get tub out. getting it out doesnt worry as much as what to put in!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Without removing the tub first you would be just guessing at the rough opening available for the shower. You might want to start by contacting Keystone customer service and ask if there was an optional shower for that model. Everything should come out by just removing the screws. Most likely the vinyl floor and wall panels will only be cut where pipes come through. When you find a shower pan try to get one that lines up with the existing drain. Good luck and take before and after photos , Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Justvisiting2day

Changing the shower

Cuff, just finished removing all the glass, and leaving the plastic lining. Wife very good at this , found a shower curtain and we ordered a plastic rail from our dealer with the sliding hooks, We heated and cut the rail to go round the shower area.
Then screwed it into place with short #10 x1/2 Stainless screws.
Then to make the curtain work we found some real strong magnets w/holes at Home Depot , Stainless screws in 4 places on each side. That locks it in place when the shower is needed.

If any one wants pic's or more info let me know.
Chuck
Old 10-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
CUFFS054

JustVisiting,
Please post your pics.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Justvisiting2day

Lightbulb Changing out my shower.

If you have a tub this may be all wrong? But the way I started was figuring out what we wanted and we discussed all the possibilities. Not many available from Factory /dealer. We purchased a 6' lenght of curtain rail w/ the sliders to fit after the removal of all glass enclosure stuff. Not much of a problem there.

Next was the rail, I went inside with some wrapping paper taped together and taped it to the ceiling...with the help of lovely bride.. Then drew a curved line to approxamately the area we wanted the rail to fit.

After that , brought the paper in the house on the kitchen counter and taped it down. Now the fun part, was to be able to "bend" this railing to match the curve. I tried hot water. no, then the wifes hair dryer.... not much but better.
Then I got out my garage sissors and tin snips. With the heat and nips we were able to make it bend to VERY close to the curve.

I had purchased about 20 #8 x1/2 sheet metal screws of Stainless.
It was a drawn out process of fitting the rail with the sliders IN. Because I was installing ONLY once. Starting at one end we held in place and screwed it into place at the same time.. OH yes I pre-drilled the flat part of the rail prior to installing.
The wife had it figured out on th ecurtain and we had worked with magnets before on our other trailer fastening a screen door in place.
The magnets we purchased from Home Depot, The rail from our dealer here in Portland Curtis Trailers, and the SS screws I had purchased along with about 100 other sizes .
Now for the hard part, iinstalling photos, couldn't load all of them BUT get the idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1After removal of aluminum frames and door.JPG
Views:	2592
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	4426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2Corner of shower water stop with magnet.JPG
Views:	654
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	4427   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5Rail in place.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	4428   Click image for larger version

Name:	3Part of the rail showing screws..JPG
Views:	457
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	4429   Click image for larger version

Name:	5Curtain closed part way.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4431  

Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
So Cal CPA

Where did you get that little splash guard at the end of the shower side? I need one.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal CPA View Post
Where did you get that little splash guard at the end of the shower side? I need one.
Here you go. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...d&_sacat=26677

I'm not sure I understand this thread, you installed a corner shower? Or just removed the glass doors on one?
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
CUFFS054

Fulltimer, at this point I've done neither! My TT came with a "full" bath tub/shower unit. The tub sits on top of a raised platform that hids the plumbing. With the height of the platform and the height of the tub top we actually need a small stool to get in and out. What I want to do is rip the whole mess out and put in a shower pan and surround. I'll still have the platform to deal with but it will be much easier to get in/out. Haven't been to site in a couple of months but will try to get some pics on next visit.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFFS054 View Post
Fulltimer, at this point I've done neither! My TT came with a "full" bath tub/shower unit. The tub sits on top of a raised platform that hids the plumbing. With the height of the platform and the height of the tub top we actually need a small stool to get in and out. What I want to do is rip the whole mess out and put in a shower pan and surround. I'll still have the platform to deal with but it will be much easier to get in/out. Haven't been to site in a couple of months but will try to get some pics on next visit.
I am pretty sure this is the tub you have but the model it is listed for is a 291 RKSSR
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFFS054 View Post
No problem lol. I know sometimes life gets in the way. I did some more exploring on mine, 2002 Sprinter. I found the vanity drain hidden way up hi under the top lip of the tub traveling forward along it. In essence, I would have to rework that as well for a shower pan. So my plan is on hold.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
CUFFS054

Hank, that's the one "Bless it's heart" (correct southern speak for F*** it). But my tub actually sits on a raised dais that just makes it worse!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Justvisiting2day

shower and removal

Hey, Cuff, you keep messing around and you might as well come down to Texas and we'll work on it here. Or maybe make a trip to Va.in May. I'm going to be there for the summer.
Chuck
Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #15
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post
Hey, Cuff, you keep messing around and you might as well come down to Texas and we'll work on it here. Or maybe make a trip to Va.in May. I'm going to be there for the summer.
Chuck
VA is close to NC, depending on where at in VA, we can all get in this mod.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote