Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 05:49 AM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Problem with this pair is at 98 lbs each I wouldn't consider them as very portable.
The Onan 6500 LP model is $5700 & would/should run everything onboard.
Like they say, to each their own. They have wheels and a handle to move them around. For me setting them onto the tailgate is not an issue, they weigh less than most 5th wheel hitches. They fit nicely in the corners of the bed ahead of the 5th wheel hitch. If I really don’t feel like lifting them, I just have my wife grab the handle and help, all I have to do is get the wheels on the tailgate and she pushes it up in. They also fit in the front storage compartment where an on-board gen would go. I’ve just seen too many 5 year old units with generators get traded in that have less than 100 hours on them. IMO $7-8k is a big expense for less than 20 hours per year use.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:02 AM   #22
ChuckS

For the OP buying Montana with built in gen... yes the genset will run IF you override the In Command Lock Out circuit .... that circuit will activate the minute you hook up your tow vehicle and the In Comanche won’t let the gen set run...

You need to remove the source 12 volts DC signal that WILL be sent from your tow vehicle 7 way connector to the BCM on the In Command.

However ... the pitfall of doing this is yes now the genset will run and so will commands to open the slide outs should someone use the cellphone in command app while you are towing and inadvertently select extend slides

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
For the OP buying Montana with built in gen... yes the genset will run IF you override the In Command Lock Out circuit .... that circuit will activate the minute you hook up your tow vehicle and the In Comanche won’t let the gen set run...

You need to remove the source 12 volts DC signal that WILL be sent from your tow vehicle 7 way connector to the BCM on the In Command.

However ... the pitfall of doing this is yes now the genset will run and so will commands to open the slide outs should someone use the cellphone in command app while you are towing and inadvertently select extend slides
Oh yeah... thanks for reminding me In Command was another reason I went with the Avalanche... It ain't in command..
Old 10-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #24
bsmith0404

[QUOTE=ChuckS;416389]For the OP buying Montana with built in gen... yes the genset will run IF you override the In Command Lock Out circuit .... that circuit will activate the minute you hook up your tow vehicle and the In Comanche won’t let the gen set run...

However ... the pitfall of doing this is yes now the genset will run and so will commands to open the slide outs should someone use the cellphone in command app while you are towing and inadvertently select extend slides[/

If you don’t want to deal with this issue, don’t get the legacy package. Montana doesn’t have in-command unless you get legacy.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #25
nellie1289

Quote:

uh, where is this "source 12 volts DC signal?
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #26
nellie1289

Does anyone have any real life experience for how long the propane would last running the onan generator and assume that nothing else is running off gas. having a hard time finding anyting on the size of the propane bottles on the Montana 3854BR.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 10-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #27
bsmith0404

The bottles are 30 lb. as for how long it’ll run, I had one customer tell me he went through a bottle in two days, but also had the furnace running. I have no idea how many hours he got out of the tank

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #28
LewisB

Quote:

That may be true for your rig, but not so for our 2018 Raptor 353TS. The In.Command Lock Out does NOT prevent us starting our Onan 5500 and running the AC while going down the road - we've done it numerous times.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Does anyone have any real life experience for how long the propane would last running the onan generator and assume that nothing else is running off gas. having a hard time finding anyting on the size of the propane bottles on the Montana 3854BR.
LP Consumption Full Load: 1.1gal/hr

LP Consumption Half Load: .8 gal/hr
Old 10-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #30
BeagleMan

Quote:

Well,the Montana we looked at did not have the In Command on board. Guess you just switch it off. Has the 1000 Watt Inverter and the GenSet Prep but does not come with the Gen itself. A case of getting that "down the road" later on. I'm not sure I'd even want the In Command option.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #31
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
LP Consumption Full Load: 1.1gal/hr

LP Consumption Half Load: .8 gal/hr
Based on that, about 7 hours run time.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #32
BeagleMan

Only a Onan can fit in the front compartment? What are some good alternatives? Yammys? Champion? HF Predator? I have read you can build a noise dampner for your Gen. Is that possible to use?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #33
LewisB

I suspect you can put other generators in that compartment - but you might want to consider fuel and maintenance issues in thinking that through. The nice part of having it built in from the factory is that the fuel tank should be included and you will be able to service the unit in place.

So, if you put something else in there (e.g. one of those nice Honda inverters), how will you add fuel to the tank? Can you lift it in/out for oil changes? etc. In some cases, you might find it a lot more convenient (and safer?) to just put it in the bed of your truck. How about security? There is a premium for having it as OE equipment - but safety, convenience, & security might just be worth the cost.

If you are going to do an "add on" later, figure out how much fuel you will need for a week of boondocking, how will you haul the fuel, how will you load/unload the units, how many AC units do you want to run, etc. I'd also think through how/when you want to use the generator. We have a tendency to only think about ideal conditions. Will you regularly want to use this on the road (at rest stops, truck stops, etc.)? How about boondocking? How many hours/day will you run the generator? If you are in a campground, is the generator quiet enough to avoid having the neighbors throwing rocks?

If you don't need/want AC, maybe you would be better off with more batteries, a solar system, and just a small generator to top off the batteries.

I would strongly suggest you NOT buy a cheap "contractor's grade" generator - the noise will drive you crazy and you will be persona-non-grata any time you start your generator - anywhere! Buy a good quality inverter/generator or a quality RV generator (like the OE Onan/Cummins) if you buy anything!

Not saying you shouldn't do this - Just think it all the way through. You don't want to spend hundreds (thousands?) of dollars and end up being disappointed (or having DW grumbling)!

Old 10-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #34
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I suspect you can put other generators in that compartment - but you might want to consider fuel and maintenance issues in thinking that through. The nice part of having it built in from the factory is that the fuel tank should be included and you will be able to service the unit in place.

So, if you put something else in there (e.g. one of those nice Honda inverters), how will you add fuel to the tank? Can you lift it in/out for oil changes? etc. In some cases, you might find it a lot more convenient (and safer?) to just put it in the bed of your truck. How about security? There is a premium for having it as OE equipment - but safety, convenience, & security might just be worth the cost.

If you are going to do an "add on" later, figure out how much fuel you will need for a week of boondocking, how will you haul the fuel, how will you load/unload the units, how many AC units do you want to run, etc. I'd also think through how/when you want to use the generator. We have a tendency to only think about ideal conditions. Will you regularly want to use this on the road (at rest stops, truck stops, etc.)? How about boondocking? How many hours/day will you run the generator? If you are in a campground, is the generator quiet enough to avoid having the neighbors throwing rocks?

If you don't need/want AC, maybe you would be better off with more batteries, a solar system, and just a small generator to top off the batteries.

I would strongly suggest you NOT buy a cheap "contractor's grade" generator - the noise will drive you crazy and you will be persona-non-grata any time you start your generator - anywhere! Buy a good quality inverter/generator or a quality RV generator (like the OE Onan/Cummins) if you buy anything!

Not saying you shouldn't do this - Just think it all the way through. You don't want to spend hundreds (thousands?) of dollars and end up being disappointed (or having DW grumbling)!
WHOA! What a great post! Thank you! Certainly lots to think about. Which, I will do. I'll most likely end up getting a factory edition for the good fit and ease of use. I copied this post to a Word doc for future references. Thanks again!
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #35
LewisB

Thanks. We love our toy hauler with the Onan/Cummins 5500 generator. It has a 30 gallon fuel tank which will typically last us about a month unless we run it over night for AC. As suggested by Javi, 1 gallon/hour is a nice general guideline. If you are only running it an hour/day to top off the batteries, it lasts a long time.

For all the bad-mouthing of iN.Command, I actually like it for starting, stopping, and monitoring our generator. With the smart phone app, this can be done from just about anywhere (including by Wifi with the newest systems).

If you like to camp in the forest (boondock) and decide to get a trailer with a built-in generator, make sure it includes "auto-start". Our Onan unit monitors the battery voltage; when the voltage gets low, the generator starts on its own, runs and hour, shuts down, retests, repeat, etc. This is really nice if you are camped in cold weather and need to leave the heater on during the night. You will not wake up to dead batteries with this system. We normally leave the auto-start off, but sometimes it is really nice!

The 5500 will easily run 2 AC units, and it will actually run all 3 but I typically don't like pushing it that hard, especially at high altitude. So, if you don't mind paying the premium, there are some REALLY nice advantages to a built-in OE generator. It's there - it's secure - it's convenient - it's safe - it's easy to operate, fuel, and maintain.

One other tip for someone looking at new rigs - do you want/need access to the bathroom, bedroom, and/or refrigerator while on the road. Do the slide outs allow use of these facilities while closed/in? If that's important, always shop for rigs with the rooms IN to verify you can get to things that are important. When the DW wants the bathroom and you need a cold drink, how will you make that happen in a rest stop on I-70?

Old 10-16-2020, 09:00 PM   #36
nellie1289

One thing to point out about the onan in the Montana is it runs on propane not gas like a toy hauler.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 10-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #37
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Thanks. We love our toy hauler with the Onan/Cummins 5500 generator. It has a 30 gallon fuel tank which will typically last us about a month unless we run it over night for AC. As suggested by Javi, 1 gallon/hour is a nice general guideline. If you are only running it an hour/day to top off the batteries, it lasts a long time.

For all the bad-mouthing of iN.Command, I actually like it for starting, stopping, and monitoring our generator. With the smart phone app, this can be done from just about anywhere (including by Wifi with the newest systems).

If you like to camp in the forest (boondock) and decide to get a trailer with a built-in generator, make sure it includes "auto-start". Our Onan unit monitors the battery voltage; when the voltage gets low, the generator starts on its own, runs and hour, shuts down, retests, repeat, etc. This is really nice if you are camped in cold weather and need to leave the heater on during the night. You will not wake up to dead batteries with this system. We normally leave the auto-start off, but sometimes it is really nice!

The 5500 will easily run 2 AC units, and it will actually run all 3 but I typically don't like pushing it that hard, especially at high altitude. So, if you don't mind paying the premium, there are some REALLY nice advantages to a built-in OE generator. It's there - it's secure - it's convenient - it's safe - it's easy to operate, fuel, and maintain.

One other tip for someone looking at new rigs - do you want/need access to the bathroom, bedroom, and/or refrigerator while on the road. Do the slide outs allow use of these facilities while closed/in? If that's important, always shop for rigs with the rooms IN to verify you can get to things that are important. When the DW wants the bathroom and you need a cold drink, how will you make that happen in a rest stop on I-70?
Dude, you are about to be my new best friend. Great info again. How much of a "option" would that be to be installed on a new purchase?

And about this gas vs propane. How long would the propane last?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #38
bsmith0404

The Onan 5500 is about a $7500 option. In a Montana, it has to be the propane version because there is no fuel tank. Based on information previously provided, you should get about 7 hours of run time on one LP tank. You can switch to 40 lb tanks if you want and add an extra hour or two.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #39
LewisB

Just trying to help you think through your purchase.

Someone pointed out that a Montana is not a toy hauler - absolutely correct. The previous post indicates that gasoline may not even be an option in a Montana. The 5500 would drain one of your propane tanks in roughly about 7 hours - that wouldn't be a very good option in my mind.

Which takes you back to your whole purchase decision - how much do you really need & want a generator. If you like the fancy Montana, maybe a couple of big batteries, a solar system, and a small portable inverter/generator is your cup of tea after all.

We really like our Raptor Toy hauler - especially when we aren't hauling toys. The garage is our sewing room, guest bedroom, dining room, 2nd bath area, kids (grandkids) play area - whatever we want it to be on any given day. We love the patio/party deck, the big open feeling, big windows, 3 season doors, etc. We also love the extra large fresh water and waste water tanks that make for extended boon docking capabilities.

I point out all of this just because you might want to re-think your entire purchase. Do you want fancy? Do you want flexibility? Do you want living room space - entertainment space - or more flexible areas? Think about how you will be using your rig - look at lots of floorplans - talk about the kids, grandkids, and family - about your plans & how you want to use the RV. How often will you move the rig? Where would you like to stay (town, forest, etc.)? Have fun and dream! Just don't get surprised by things you didn't consider if you make a hasty decision. The joy should not just be the destination; it should also be in getting there. Enjoy the process!

Old 10-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #40
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The Onan 5500 is about a $7500 option. In a Montana, it has to be the propane version because there is no fuel tank. Based on information previously provided, you should get about 7 hours of run time on one LP tank. You can switch to 40 lb tanks if you want and add an extra hour or two.
Thank you!! Well, that will be pushing the amount I want to spend, but that will certainly be something we could do in the future and have done.

Great job, you guys! Between the Onan 5500 and the suggestion to go with a W/D option, you have managed to add on $10K to my future 5er.

Both of which will get done at some point tho.
Roll Tide Roll

Tags
keystone