Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Riley

RV 30 amp power

Hello, I'm trying to connect my Keystone cougar to an RV plug that I wired. This is the situation, the plug is an oven outlet, I've converted to a 30 amp GFCI circuit using a 30 amp GFCI breaker. I did this cause I'm a homebrewer and I brew electrically so this was recommended. I used this circuit and installed a 50 amp RV service box just on the other side of the wall to my garage. when wiring the RV plug I only grabbed one of the hot wires from the 220volt service and also the neutral and ground. I rarely use the outlet that is used for my brew system so this is why I thought this setup would work perfectly for charging the batteries in my cougar and also running the AC when necessary or needed. Well I got it all wired up, plugged in an extension cord with a 50 amp male connector on one end and a 30 amp female connector on another, then I used a "cheater" cable to go from the 30 amp female to the 50 amp connector on the cougar. as soon as I plug in the rig the breaker blows on my service panel. I've used a VOM to ensure all wires are wired correctly and nothing is crossed, so I'm kind of perplexed on what is happening. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Riley Ritterbusch
Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I read the post and can only say get a electrician before you destroy your equipment or kill yourself. I rewired my house, upgraded from 125 amp service to 200. I installed a new breaker box and mask. I will not give any advice about what your doing except stop.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Riley

RV 30 amp outlet

Thanks for the reply, while not an electrician, I've done plenty of electrical work and was also trained in electronics working on equipment for the Boeing co. Thanks for input on this, but I'll keep plugging away to see if I can get to a solution.

have a great day,

Riley
Old 08-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m sorry but I have to take Kens/Claudias side on this one. While you may be quite proficient in electrical stuff, sometimes it’s better to let a professional do the work. Something is not right and IMO it’s not worth risking your life or your property.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Riley

RV 30 amp outlet

I get the message on this subject, but I will continue to troubleshoot this issue, I don't feel my life or property is at risk. again thanks to all of you for your input.

No other reply's are necessary at this time.

Thanks again,

Riley Ritterbusch
Old 08-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Let us know what you find.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
Riley

RV 30 amp outlet

Perhaps you all will find this article interesting:

https://www.rvtravel.com/30-and-50-a...n-campgrounds/

I'm thinking that I may have found out why the 30 amp GFCI circuit breaker I'm using to feed the rig keeps tripping.

Enjoy,

Riley Ritterbusch
2014 keystone cougar Xlite, pulled with a 2018 SRW Dodge 3500 mega cab
Old 08-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Since none of us know what you are doing, how you are doing it nor your expertise it's probably better that you "plug along" until you correct the situation that you apparently caused or call a pro. Good luck and be careful.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
Riley

RV 30 amp outlet

I tried to explain what I was doing, but I'm not sure people have read the full post, I think they get to "electricity" and red flags go up and tell you to just "stop"!

I sent a link to an article that may explain the issue I am having, AND MAY AFFECT EVERYONE THAT USES SHORE POWER AT CAMPGROUNDS IN THE FUTURE. This is due to NEC changes that could be coming in the future.

Anyway I believe I found a solution to the issue and can use the system I have to power my brew system and an RV. NOT AT THE SAME TIME OF COURSE.

if you are interested in reading an article on RV power from a GFCI controlled circuit, HERE IS THE LINK:

I think we can put this subject to rest, I feel like for this issue no one wanted to help, is this what I can expect in the future with future issues?

Have a good evening, and don't forget to wear your mask, stay 6' apart, and we're all in this together...

Riley Ritterbusch
Old 08-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
I tried to explain what I was doing, but I'm not sure people have read the full post, I think they get to "electricity" and red flags go up and tell you to just "stop"!

I sent a link to an article that may explain the issue I am having, AND MAY AFFECT EVERYONE THAT USES SHORE POWER AT CAMPGROUNDS IN THE FUTURE. This is due to NEC changes that could be coming in the future.

Anyway I believe I found a solution to the issue and can use the system I have to power my brew system and an RV. NOT AT THE SAME TIME OF COURSE.

if you are interested in reading an article on RV power from a GFCI controlled circuit, HERE IS THE LINK:

I think we can put this subject to rest, I feel like for this issue no one wanted to help, is this what I can expect in the future with future issues?

Have a good evening, and don't forget to wear your mask, stay 6' apart, and we're all in this together...

Riley Ritterbusch

Riley, you mistake a couple of things. The first highlighted comment about we "get to electricity, the red flags go up and we just say stop" is just inaccurate and way off base. Many of us know electricity and it doesn't "scare" us nor do we just say "stop".

As far as this being an issue that "no one wanted to help and can you expect that in the future with future issues"; well, if you're trying to wire a space shuttle off your outside outlet doing things not a soul here knows about, can see etc.; you might be on your own. Same goes for a homebrewing system where you are trying to follow directions from somewhere and encounter problems .

I know my way around electricity and there are others here that know far more. What I won't do is try to advise you in some scenario that I have no idea about that could get you killed or damage your RV. This is an RV forum that deals with RV issues; not one off, custom installations that would try to get a member "guessing" not having the slightest idea of your expertise.

And yes, of all the forums I belong to, and have belonged to, this is the most active and helpful forum I've been on. Might want to stick to RV issues??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #11
tech740

Just spitballing here, but since you have GFCI outlets on a circuit in the RV plugged into a GFCI breaker fed circuit from the house, would that cause it to trip? Isn't that why the GFCI leg of a 50 to 45 amp adapter doesnt work if the GFCI leg of the camper falls on the same leg as being fed by the 20 amp GFCI outlet? I understand what you are trying to do but it is not the preferred way of doing it.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:33 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

Quote:

Riley Ritterbusch
I am glad you got it figured out (at least in theory). I think what you perceive as peoples’ indifference is actually concern.

No one knows how adept or inept a poster is with electricity from one forum post. If you called an actual licensed electrician and asked him to walk you through it over the phone, he/she would have refused. When the uniqueness and complexity of a situation rises to the level of life and property safety, of course people are going to refer you to a professional. I have been a CFEI (Certified Fire & Explosion Investigator) for 20+ years and I have seen too many electrical fires that resulted from DIY electrical work, a few even at the homes of Master Electricians. A hodge-podge patchwork of electrical wiring that likely violates any number of NEC codes is something that no one wants to be a part of.

This forum is an excellent resource for RV questions, and everyone sincerely and genuinely just wants to help, but you can’t get bent out of shape when someone offers you reasonable and sound advice that you don’t happen to agree with.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hello, I'm trying to connect my Keystone cougar to an RV plug that I wired. This is the situation, the plug is an oven outlet, I've converted to a 30 amp GFCI circuit using a 30 amp GFCI breaker. I did this cause I'm a homebrewer and I brew electrically so this was recommended. I used this circuit and installed a 50 amp RV service box just on the other side of the wall to my garage. when wiring the RV plug I only grabbed one of the hot wires from the 220volt service and also the neutral and ground. I rarely use the outlet that is used for my brew system so this is why I thought this setup would work perfectly for charging the batteries in my cougar and also running the AC when necessary or needed. Well I got it all wired up, plugged in an extension cord with a 50 amp male connector on one end and a 30 amp female connector on another, then I used a "cheater" cable to go from the 30 amp female to the 50 amp connector on the cougar. as soon as I plug in the rig the breaker blows on my service panel. I've used a VOM to ensure all wires are wired correctly and nothing is crossed, so I'm kind of perplexed on what is happening. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Riley Ritterbusch
Riley,
Let’s Walk this back from the end.
“Any input welcome” well looks like not so much.
An “extension cord” with 50 amp plug and 30 amp (no wire size reference or distance) then a “cheater” going from 30 to 50 ????? All righty then.
You state you “ converted” a 50 amp “outlet.” With a 30 amp gfci. Did you remove the 50 amp outlet? I’m guessing not. That 50 outlet is a branch circuit nor a sub panel. Having both on a 50 amp breaker is against code.

These are the statements that would have me say call an electrician as well. I think you are barely treading water at this point and are about to go under.

As. A final note, I read the first article you linked and it has nothing to do with what you apparently are attempting. Again, get an electrician for I don’t think you have a full understanding of the subject. The piece talks about people removing the ground from a 30 amp rv plug. I’ve never seen anyone do that. I don’t know where (or if) the author goes camping but every cg I know has branch circuit to a pedestal with either 50 and 30 amp breakers and outlets and one 20 amp gfci. No 50 or 30 amp gfci.

The intention of the gfci is to protect the user from cutting a cord, standing in water or otherwise ground themselves while using a defective device. Since you cannot plug your toaster or blow drier into a 50 or 30 amp outlet there is no need for them to be gfci.

If you pursue this further “on your own” than my only advice is to make sure your medical directives and will are up to date. Just a real and honest opinion from a 66 yr old electrical/mechanical engineer that taught several electrical courses in college as adjunct faculty.

Take the well founded advice you’ve been given or not, that’s your choice as is staying or leaving the forum.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I've stayed out of this because the first post "hinted" of making modifications to a questionable circuit, which would make it even more "questionable or even dangerous"...

This has all the characteristics of a "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" kind of outcome.....

I applaud the membership for "keeping their hands in their pockets" on this one... It's got all the potential of "going south in a hurry".....

About the only semblance of being "RV related" is some place to plug the shore power cord.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:18 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

I decided to not throw my 2 cents in when the OP got a little... well hot, when folks gave him the proper advice he didn't like. Seems a lot of new folks come on and ask advice and when people who know a little give this advice, they want to get mad. This generally happens with "is my truck big enough to tow (fill in the blank)" queries.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #16
Beemer Phil

I’m with the majority of the group. You should seek a qualified electrician.
Beemer Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #17
rjniles

An earlier poster nailed it. You can not use half of a 240 volt 2 pole GFCI circuit to power a 120 volt circuit. It will trip every time.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #18
JJaxon

One thing I learned many years ago is that all things electric have smoke in them. My job was to keep the smoke in them. When the smoke comes out, if your fortunate, smoke is all you'll see. It can go bad or worse before you can react and loss is inevitable. Dont be that guy. I've read your entire post and you are creating a situation that is not ideal. I don't understand why you'd want to do that, rather, build it to code, with a proven method and no one sees the smoke. Running cords, adaptors, are short cuts, not the way I'd want anything, especially permanent install shared with another device (brewing).

I hope you see that everyone here has posted what they see as in your best interest. If you are simply experimenting with electricity and want to share your conclusions, I'll watch for your reply. Be safe!
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #19
cliff

First, all of you go buy Mike Sokol's book RV electricity from Amazon. It costs $15. It won't make you an expert but will keep you from getting killed or burned. BTW the stove outlet is 240 volt and the 30 amp RV plug is 120 volt. Don't do it.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #20
apachewolf

Cool

Quote:
I get the message on this subject, but I will continue to troubleshoot this issue, I don't feel my life or property is at risk. again thanks to all of you for your input.

No other reply's are necessary at this time.

Thanks again,

Riley Ritterbusch
When in doubt get a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN!!! Don't mess with something you obviously have no idea of. If you did you would not have to try this and than try that and than something else. It would all be clear to you.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power