Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
Wavecruzer79

Adding a third AC

Hello all,

We have an Outback 2020 340BH. We have two AC’s with 50amps. The bunk house has one vent and it’s always hot!! I’ve seen other Rvs with an optional third AC and still be 50amp service. Is this possible to add a third in the ceiling of the bunkhouse? I know it won’t have vents, but could use the quick cool vents in the unit, assuming I’ll also need to mount a thermostat.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79943F15-3B68-4398-8B9B-BAB481818B43.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	29132  
Wavecruzer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
notanlines

Just buy the unit that has the fan speed, controls, etc mounted on the face of the unit, or remote control. Don't overthink this thin. Run a circuit from your box and you're 'home' free. Cutting into the roof will simply have to be a learn on the job experience.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
jay6654

Did you get your bunkhouse cooled. I have the same trailer with the same problem.
jay6654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:47 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Are you pushing the air from both front ACs through the duct or are you allowing them to dump directly into the room they’re located in? What are the outside temps? I just don’t see why you would have trouble cooling a 34’ travel trailer. 34’ 5th wheels cool fine with 2 ACs and they have much higher ceilings and therefor more space to cool.

To run 3 ACs on 50 amp, you would most likely need to change the other two as well. The units with 3 AC systems use a lower amp AC and a power management system that will shut one down when there is a power demand greater than available such as running a microwave.

Your best best is most likely going to be to add a ceiling vent fan such as a max fan to the bunk room which can help draw cool air into the back from the front and also push the hot air out.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

The original poster hasn't been around for 2 years. I think that was first and last post you read. If you put a 3rd A/C and the camper's A/C system wasn't designed for a third A/C and you are willing to cut a vent hole in your bunkhouse wall, buy a portable (I use a 14K BTU portable in conjunction with my 15K BTU Dometic on the roof) I vent out the window after making a custom vent frame the window shuts down on. I run a separate power cord out the window to the pedestal 15/20A outlet.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:21 AM   #6
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The original poster hasn't been around for 2 years. I think that was first and last post you read. If you put a 3rd A/C and the camper's A/C system wasn't designed for a third A/C and you are willing to cut a vent hole in your bunkhouse wall, buy a portable (I use a 14K BTU portable in conjunction with my 15K BTU Dometic on the roof) I vent out the window after making a custom vent frame the window shuts down on. I run a separate power cord out the window to the pedestal 15/20A outlet.

Nice idea I just installed rec pro units on our rig I ised a 9500 in the bedroom and the 15000 heat pump ducted system in the living area they both run off the generator along with the microwave and a big drum fan she uses outside under the awning

I really like these units made in Australia by Houghton sold in the states as rec pro these things are so quiet the non ducted unit in the bedroom is slightly louder than the ducted one but I can hear her clearly now ( my hearing is shot from working in a steel mill )with both units on Saturday it was in the high 90s she had the air set @ 60° and they were cycling off and on not running compressors full time

It was damn cold in there after working outside
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:37 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawghauler View Post
Nice idea I just installed rec pro units on our rig I ised a 9500 in the bedroom and the 15000 heat pump ducted system in the living area they both run off the generator along with the microwave and a big drum fan she uses outside under the awning

I really like these units made in Australia by Houghton sold in the states as rec pro these things are so quiet the non ducted unit in the bedroom is slightly louder than the ducted one but I can hear her clearly now ( my hearing is shot from working in a steel mill )with both units on Saturday it was in the high 90s she had the air set @ 60° and they were cycling off and on not running compressors full time

It was damn cold in there after working outside
I wouldn't recommend setting the t'stat that low. The compressor "cycling " may have been the coils freezing over and the thermal switch on the coils shutting it down.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:01 AM   #8
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I wouldn't recommend setting the t'stat that low. The compressor "cycling " may have been the coils freezing over and the thermal switch on the coils shutting it down.
I had my eyes on the evaporator coils as my intent was to determine if they would ice up or if they would function properly had they iced up I do not believe I'd be saying they are good units

The fact is I know a bit about airconditioning systems how they function and fail I also know the little lady doesn't understand half of what I tell her so it goes in the left and out the right 10 minutes later she's jackin the knobs kuz she's hot therefore I must make the rig Marine proof

As I said previously these are well functioning units as they're new I can't speak of longevity but currently I'm very pleased with performance much quieter than the Coleman units ive had in the past
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote