Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Kebees42

Short bed Ram 2500

I would like to hear some of your knowledge of towing a fifth wheel with a ram short bed. I am purchasing my first fifth wheel so not sure what to expect for turning radius during forward travel. Are 90 degree turns at intersections create any problems with can clearance? I getting a B&W Patriot manual slider for a hitch.
Kebees42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
CedarCreekWoody

The slider is a good choice. You may need the clearance backing into a camping site. You should not have trouble with normal driving. It is rare to turn that short.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
travelin texans

May want to check the payload of your 2500, the yellow/white sticker on drivers door jamb that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs", against the gross pin weight, 20-25% of the RV GVWR, of the 5th wheel of your choice. Depending on how it's equipped some 2500s are a bit shy of payload for 5th wheel pin weights. Just FYI, the truck manufacturer max tow weight means absolutely nothing without the payload to carry it & the rv dry weights also mean nothing to you.
The newer 5th wheels with the notched lower front corners are much better at turning with short bed trucks, caution is still required when in near 90 degree turns.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The slider is a good choice. You may need the clearance backing into a camping site. You should not have trouble with normal driving. It is rare to turn that short.
Thanks for your input. I've been a little nervous about it. I've pulled TT for years but decided to go to a fifth wheel due to everyone saying they tow better. We pick it up next Thursday and have a few sharp corners on the way home. I told my wife we at some point we need to find a big parking lot to see turning ability.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
bobbecky

After initially having a manual slider and having to stop in the middle of the road to manually slide it before maneuvering and then having to slide it back again, we upgraded to a Pullrite Superglide automatic slider. Never have to even think about not having clearance now. https://www.pullrite.com/products/superglide
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
May want to check the payload of your 2500, the yellow/white sticker on drivers door jamb that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs", against the gross pin weight, 20-25% of the RV GVWR, of the 5th wheel of your choice. Depending on how it's equipped some 2500s are a bit shy of payload for 5th wheel pin weights. Just FYI, the truck manufacturer max tow weight means absolutely nothing without the payload to carry it & the rv dry weights also mean nothing to you.
The newer 5th wheels with the notched lower front corners are much better at turning with short bed trucks, caution is still required when in near 90 degree turns.
My pay load is 3070 lbs so I should be good there. Loaded pin weight should be 2040 lbs. With hith and me and wife I should be 2560 lbs if my calculations are correct.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Canonman

We use the Anderson Ultimate hitch and have had nor problems with clearance between our Cougar and the Ram cab. No slider needed. The front caps on the new 5rs have cut outs to minimize any clearance issues.
We've had several "opportunities" to make U turns on city streets as well as negotiate several tight spots in campgrounds with no issues.
The other nice thing about the Anderson is it's light weight and is easily removed when not needed for towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7785.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	28982  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
ChuckS

If the front of the fifth wheel has contoured radius corners the slider hitch most likely will never be used...

I tow with a short bed truck... GMC... in 7 years of use on road and off road I’ve never once thought about using the soldier function of my hitch...

I also do not back and will not back at 90 degrees... it’s too hard on the tires and suspension on the fifth wheel....great way to break or stress the welds on the spring hangers.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I tow our 2014 Cougar with a F250 short bed using a CURT A16 hitch. It is not a sliding hitch and I've never found the need in almost 7 years of towing the trailer to have ever wished for a sliding hitch. We regularly camp in state forest campgrounds, most are located away from populated areas, usually the access is on gravel roads, often with some significant "switchback turns and holes/washed out areas in the road"... Again, never felt a need for a sliding hitch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
behrmr

I switched to a 5er from a TT on my short bed RAM 2500 this year. No problems with turning radius if you have the Andersen Hitch --- you can turn the hitch frame so that the ball is further away from cab. I do notice towing is "different" with this hitch vs. a TT plus the 5er is heavier. Seems like you feel it more in the seat vs the whole truck if that makes sense. I added airbag helper springs to help with that. The one big issue we did have is that I have vinyl bed cover and the rail of the cover reduces the space between the trailer and the bed. The dealer did not account for that and on our first trip the apron contacted the bed cover rail and scratched it up pretty badly. I moved the ball on the Andersen up one notch and that took care of it. Also make sure that the dealer installs the "lock out" on your pinbox if you need it with the Andersen. Mine mentioned it that "you can add a bracket if you want". Um, no, you need it. Good luck!
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #11
Frank G

If you get a slider, check the clearance with the tail gate in the rear position. I can't use our slider without contact with the tail gate. Every set-up is a little different.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:18 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebees42 View Post
My pay load is 3070 lbs so I should be good there. Loaded pin weight should be 2040 lbs. With hith and me and wife I should be 2560 lbs if my calculations are correct.
Based on the payload, I take it your RAM is a gas engine? If so, is it the 5.7 or 6.4? and what ratio differentials do you have? I think you'll find the engine and gearing will make a significant difference in what you're able to comfortably tow with that truck...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-02-2020, 05:35 AM   #13
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Based on the payload, I take it your RAM is a gas engine? If so, is it the 5.7 or 6.4? and what ratio differentials do you have? I think you'll find the engine and gearing will make a significant difference in what you're able to comfortably tow with that truck...
It's a 6.4 with 3.73 gears
Old 08-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebees42 View Post
It's a 6.4 with 3.73 gears
We've got a member who was "recently towing a travel trailer with a similar RAM". I believe he is currently "on the road" back home, but will likely "weigh in" on this discussion when he sees the thread. He just bought a new truck and a fifth wheel, so he should have some "valid, I've been there, doing that" comments to add to the discussion......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #15
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We've got a member who was "recently towing a travel trailer with a similar RAM". I believe he is currently "on the road" back home, but will likely "weigh in" on this discussion when he sees the thread. He just bought a new truck and a fifth wheel, so he should have some "valid, I've been there, doing that" comments to add to the discussion......
That would be great
Old 08-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
purebred

Another Andersen hitch guy and shortbed ram person

We have the 2019 Ram 2500 and short bed. I have gone to the Andersen hitch and have my hitch offset to the rear and my pinbox Andersen set with ball to the rear. It gives me maximum turning ability. I can also raise the ball in the hitch mount to be perfect above the bed rails. The Andersen is a great hitch. I was reluctant to go with it but worked out great. I also installed Timbren suspension helpers on the rear, 6800 lb overload helpers, works great and no more blinding people with my lights Anyway my turning radius is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200811_134107.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	29172  
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #17
Tooth Ferry

hitch

I have seen a Montana 5er pop the rear truck window when there was not a slider. It was the 2nd time in 6 months for the owner who was told he did not need a slider. He went the next day and got an auto slider. I don't trust myself to always remember to move a non-auto slider
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #18
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
I have seen a Montana 5er pop the rear truck window when there was not a slider. It was the 2nd time in 6 months for the owner who was told he did not need a slider. He went the next day and got an auto slider. I don't trust myself to always remember to move a non-auto slider
I am getting a manual slider but more curious about turns while driving forward. Like 90 degree intersections or similar turns.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #19
notanlines

It sounds like your mind is made up and you are just curious what damage you can look forward to in city traffic. If you know you are going to be driving in the city, just pull over, activate your slide to the rear and head on in through town. If you don't, just don't turn inside lane to inside lane unless you're up close and personal with a good body man.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #20
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
It sounds like your mind is made up and you are just curious what damage you can look forward to in city traffic. If you know you are going to be driving in the city, just pull over, activate your slide to the rear and head on in through town. If you don't, just don't turn inside lane to inside lane unless you're up close and personal with a good body man.
I've already committed to what I am buying. Maybe I should investigated a little more before. I have seen lots of people say we don't need and I purchased the manual slider just in case. I need to find a big open parking lot to see what it really does when I get it.

Tags
bed