Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Sailun Tires

As I've posted I had Sailun S637 G rated tires put on this trailer before it left the lot. I did not trust the Ranier brand, wanted no more blowouts and the Sailun brand just keeps getting great reviews...but I'm sort of inquisitive.

The following has no earth shattering revelations, just some interesting info (to me) I've picked up in the last couple of days.

After a couple of posts on the forum (I believe it was this one) about a Sailun load inflation chart I thought I would ask "Sailun" for one (gosailun.com). Well that website is actually TBC Distributors which distributes Sailun and other "value tiered" tires. Their response was that the tire pressure required in the tire was on the placard on the trailer determined by the RV manufacturer but gave me a little chart for the 235x80r16 as sort of a good will gesture. If I needed any further info on the tire I was to contact the RV manufacturer? I had to question that.

I told them that the RV company doesn't make the tires nor make load charts for them; that would come from the tire manufacturer. If, as I did, you go up a load range supporting the same load that was placed on the OEM tires, then yes, a load chart is beneficial to the owner of one of "their" tires. Since that has to come from the tire manufacturer please guide me to their website to get those answers if they didn't have them as I've never found a direct contact with any Chinese tire manufacturer. Today I got another response;

"My questions should be directed to Dynamic Tire Company in Ontario". ???
I inquired if I was to assume that Dynamic was the actual importer and TBC was the importer from the importer? They replied that Dynamic was their supplier. Dynamic also states they are importers of "value tiered" tires. So, what does that tell me? I have no idea. I decided to accept the little chart they sent as the latest greatest and let it go at that.

I do know that I've had no success whatever in finding a direct link to "Sailun" tires except TBC, and now Dynamic. I've always thought TBC was THE importer but now understand they are the importer from the importer I also realize that I am getting ready to head back to TX in a few days, the Sailun tires feel very robust compared to competitors, they have a great reputation and I'm digging in an empty rabbit hole. Just some trivia I thought I would share before I forget it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
LewisB

The hazard in continuing to "dig in an empty rabbit hole" is that with the next shovel full, you may break through into the snake pit just below it!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Thanks for starting yet another tire thread... the usual experts should be along momentarily. You did know that Sailun tires are made in the Far Far Far East? Here is their web page: https://www.sailuntyre.com/ - there is probably a contact page but I had a hard time reading the Chinese.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
LewisB

George, (you probably already know that) if you open this page in Google Chrome, right click, and select "translate" you can get the English version (sort of). Here's the phone number listed...good luck with this...

contact us
Service Hotline: 400-660-8329
Headquarters address: No. 43 Rubber Valley,
Zhengzhou Road,
Shibei District,
Qingdao City,
Shandong Province, China

Gotta love the street address...

Old 07-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
George, (you probably already know that) if you open this page in Google Chrome, right click, and select "translate" you can get the English version (sort of). Here's the phone number listed...good luck with this...

contact us
Zhengzhou Road,
Shibei District,
Qingdao City,
Shandong Province, China

I wonder if that "service hotline" is a toll charged number (similar to the Nigerian scam where they charge your credit card $50000 if you dial the number) ?????

In other words, "never trust Google Chrome's translation capacity" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I wonder if that "service hotline" is a toll charged number (similar to the Nigerian scam where they charge your credit card $50000 if you dial the number) ?????

In other words, "never trust Google Chrome's translation capacity" .....
^^^^Absolutely Right ^^^^
I sure as heck wouldn't try it!

Old 07-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

contact us
Zhengzhou Road,
Shibei District,
Qingdao City,
Shandong Province, China

I had seen that but I couldn't find a word about trailer tires. When you look at the "brands" and they list the brands of vehicles they provide tires for seems like there must be a couple hundred but no ST tires. Many, many of the brands I've never heard of including "No." and "know beans"??? I figure they're like all those emails I get with questionable English telling me all sorts of things to get me to "click here". Or, they may be legit but I'm "not going there" to find out. In my estimation if an importer is going to choose a product to import from another country then sell it to you, particularly one as questionable as China, it's the importers duty to provide you the information on those tires. Just figured I would share what little info I gleaned piddling around with this....waiting for the rain to stop. JMO
Old 07-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:

contact us
Zhengzhou Road,
Shibei District,
Qingdao City,
Shandong Province, China

Lewis, I dumped Chrome when they started using a "PRIDE" splash on their home page (in honor or LQBPGRT (whatever) pride month) and am using Firefox which doesn't have a translation function unless you install a translation ADD-ON. Those add-ons tend to cause issues so I will just have to live without knowing what the mysterious orient has to say.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
bobbecky

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...82&fr=jnazafzv

http://www.gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Those are the pages I pulled up. The gosailun website is TBC and gives the max inflation/load. The other site has the tire and rim association inflation chart from 2016. After looking at the TBC website and the fogginess of trying to get to the real Sailun company I figured I would just prod around to see if they actually had a "Sailun" document.

Thanks for providing the links.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just figured I would share what little info I gleaned piddling around with this....waiting for the rain to stop. JMO
That was interesting. I’m lucky, or maybe not, they don’t make a tire in my size, you know the 14” Dunkin Donuts. :LOL:. I checked the other night as an option to GY and Carlisle. (Carlisle it is, BTW)

Anyway, the approaching tropical system is going to chase you out of the panhandle. Stay dry.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
As I've posted I had Sailun S637 G rated tires put on this trailer before it left the lot. I did not trust the Ranier brand, wanted no more blowouts and the Sailun brand just keeps getting great reviews...but I'm sort of inquisitive.

The following has no earth shattering revelations, just some interesting info (to me) I've picked up in the last couple of days.

After a couple of posts on the forum (I believe it was this one) about a Sailun load inflation chart I thought I would ask "Sailun" for one (gosailun.com). Well that website is actually TBC Distributors which distributes Sailun and other "value tiered" tires. Their response was that the tire pressure required in the tire was on the placard on the trailer determined by the RV manufacturer but gave me a little chart for the 235x80r16 as sort of a good will gesture. If I needed any further info on the tire I was to contact the RV manufacturer? I had to question that.

I told them that the RV company doesn't make the tires nor make load charts for them; that would come from the tire manufacturer. If, as I did, you go up a load range supporting the same load that was placed on the OEM tires, then yes, a load chart is beneficial to the owner of one of "their" tires. Since that has to come from the tire manufacturer please guide me to their website to get those answers if they didn't have them as I've never found a direct contact with any Chinese tire manufacturer. Today I got another response;

"My questions should be directed to Dynamic Tire Company in Ontario". ???
I inquired if I was to assume that Dynamic was the actual importer and TBC was the importer from the importer? They replied that Dynamic was their supplier. Dynamic also states they are importers of "value tiered" tires. So, what does that tell me? I have no idea. I decided to accept the little chart they sent as the latest greatest and let it go at that.

I do know that I've had no success whatever in finding a direct link to "Sailun" tires except TBC, and now Dynamic. I've always thought TBC was THE importer but now understand they are the importer from the importer I also realize that I am getting ready to head back to TX in a few days, the Sailun tires feel very robust compared to competitors, they have a great reputation and I'm digging in an empty rabbit hole. Just some trivia I thought I would share before I forget it.
There is no reason to have a load inflation chart from an individual tire manufacturer. All load inflation charts are standardized and approved by the tire and rim association (TRA).

Tire manufacturers do not set tire inflation pressures.

Replacement tires that do not conform to the Original Equipment tire designated size found on the individual vehicle certification label, have their recommended cold inflation pressures set by the tire installer. That inflation pressure must be set at a value that will allow the replacement tires to provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided.

When deviations in inflation pressures are used/required, they start at the recommended cold inflation pressure for the OE tires and end at the tire maximum load listed on the tire sidewall. The USTMA uses these words when using deviation inflation pressures; "Never use inflation pressures below what was recommended for the OE tires".

Here is a standard load inflation chart. Notice that it was approved by TRA.

https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/C...T-Modified.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I know the TRA has the load charts. The person at TBC said the "manufacturer" would have a specific load chart for their tire. The ones I've found have been from the TRA (I did see one once with a Sailun header but don't remember where). Which brings up a question...

If in fact the TRA is the "keeper" and establishes the load inflation ability for all size tires do we then just assume that whatever tire we get from whatever company is built and tested to meet those measures? If that's the case are some tires then just "built better" and only meet those minimum requirements and others built to a higher, stronger internal standard but only say they meet the TRA standards?

I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that you can hold, weigh or stand on a TK tire and an identical sized Sailun etc. and feel the sizeable weight and construction difference in them. If they both say they have the exact same load carrying ability by TRA, which we know is not correct, how do we know which one is better? Word of mouth, experience, forums?

Not trying to argue but if I made a better mousetrap I would point out its advantages instead of sending out a generic chart that said my trap was identical to everyone else's trap??? Just keeping my bored, rain tired brain active...
Old 07-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Snoking

Quote:
I know the TRA has the load charts. The person at TBC said the "manufacturer" would have a specific load chart for their tire. The ones I've found have been from the TRA (I did see one once with a Sailun header but don't remember where). Which brings up a question...

If in fact the TRA is the "keeper" and establishes the load inflation ability for all size tires do we then just assume that whatever tire we get from whatever company is built and tested to meet those measures? If that's the case are some tires then just "built better" and only meet those minimum requirements and others built to a higher, stronger internal standard but only say they meet the TRA standards?

I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that you can hold, weigh or stand on a TK tire and an identical sized Sailun etc. and feel the sizeable weight and construction difference in them. If they both say they have the exact same load carrying ability by TRA, which we know is not correct, how do we know which one is better? Word of mouth, experience, forums?

Not trying to argue but if I made a better mousetrap I would point out its advantages instead of sending out a generic chart that said my trap was identical to everyone else's trap??? Just keeping my bored, rain tired brain active...
Any tire with a steel ply sidewall is going to weigh more and be more robust vs a poly ply sidewall tire. However as you point out the carrying capacity for a given size is the same. I have had three different all steel ply tires: Michelin XPS Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250 and the Sailun S637 ST235/85R16G on our 2017 Bighorn 3575el. An all steel ply tire with a rib style tread will have a lower rolling resistance, providing slightly better fuel mileage. Based on the weight of the Bighorn 16K I ran them at 105 psi verse the 110 on the placard, for two reasons: 1. Actual weight was way below capacity that 110 psi provided, and having a source of air to inflate to 110 psi is difficult at best.

Just for the record, the week we purchase the Laredo 225MK with GoodRide ST225R15D tires(I had never heard of them), they were replaced with GY Endurance ST225/75R15E's. The GoodRides sold on CL the first day for 200 bucks.

My advice would be to weigh your trailer ready for travel and inflate your tires to the require inflation for actual weight adding 5 psi to the number.

A little history would be our 2005 Cardinal came with LT235/85R16E Kenda Klever tires. Within the first year Kenda gave us 110 dollars each to remove and destroy all five. The replacement Michelin XPS Ribs were inflated to the 65 psi on the placard and after a year or so I noticed slightly more wear on the outer ribs, and up the inflation to 71 psi and had even wear after that.

Chris
Old 07-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Lewis, I dumped Chrome when they started using a "PRIDE" splash on their home page (in honor or LQBPGRT (whatever) pride month) and am using Firefox which doesn't have a translation function unless you install a translation ADD-ON. Those add-ons tend to cause issues so I will just have to live without knowing what the mysterious orient has to say.
Don't blame you... but you can always just browse to translate.google.com, then type the URL of the page you want translated in the left-hand box. It will continue to translate any pages you reach by clicking on links in the translated pages it provides.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Don't blame you... but you can always just browse to translate.google.com, then type the URL of the page you want translated in the left-hand box. It will continue to translate any pages you reach by clicking on links in the translated pages it provides.

Thanks for the tip... generally any foreign website I would be interested in doing business with will have various language versions selectable.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Any tire with a steel ply sidewall is going to weigh more and be more robust vs a poly ply sidewall tire. However as you point out the carrying capacity for a given size is the same. I have had three different all steel ply tires: Michelin XPS Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250 and the Sailun S637 ST235/85R16G on our 2017 Bighorn 3575el. An all steel ply tire with a rib style tread will have a lower rolling resistance, providing slightly better fuel mileage. Based on the weight of the Bighorn 16K I ran them at 105 psi verse the 110 on the placard, for two reasons: 1. Actual weight was way below capacity that 110 psi provided, and having a source of air to inflate to 110 psi is difficult at best.

Just for the record, the week we purchase the Laredo 225MK with GoodRide ST225R15D tires(I had never heard of them), they were replaced with GY Endurance ST225/75R15E's. The GoodRides sold on CL the first day for 200 bucks.

My advice would be to weigh your trailer ready for travel and inflate your tires to the require inflation for actual weight adding 5 psi to the number.

A little history would be our 2005 Cardinal came with LT235/85R16E Kenda Klever tires. Within the first year Kenda gave us 110 dollars each to remove and destroy all five. The replacement Michelin XPS Ribs were inflated to the 65 psi on the placard and after a year or so I noticed slightly more wear on the outer ribs, and up the inflation to 71 psi and had even wear after that.

Chris

Thank you. I agree that the steel tires weigh more than others, are more robust (stronger). My curiosity is that the TRA establishes a uniform load inflation chart for a specific size regardless of how that tire is constructed. Then all tires, regardless of construction, are all the same in that chart. I'm thinking it's very strange that the company that comes out with the better, more robust tire would then accept a chart that says they are no better or worse than any other competitor?? Just curious.

As far as load limits vs air pressure I have always erred to the max pressure on the tire for an RV; my vehicles, not so. In this case this trailer came with LRF tires, after the RVIA increase. I opted to go up to LRG's simply due to the tire issues I've had in the past and my reluctance to take "unknown" OEM tires. That said, the max load the LRG tires can carry are far more than even the gvw of the trailer. With that in mind I wanted to find out the actual carrying capacity of the Sailuns at various pressures because I thought, THOUGHT, I might pressure them down a bit against my better judgement. Figured Sailun would have something specific for their tires as TBC advised; apparently they don't. I do appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #18
Snoking

A final thought, tires like the XPS Rib and R250 are noted as commercial tires, in that they stand up to abuse in the commercial arena which exceeds what the average recreational user ask from a tire. Given the history in years by gone of RV trailer use, many have chosen to go the commercial route for the extra margin of safety built into a more robust offering. History of use for most on the internet prove this to be a cost effective choice over the long run for those that plan to keep a rig for many years. The original Sailun S637 was labeled as a LT tire(and falls into the commercial use category) and was changed to ST for import advantages of ST tires.

There is one poly ply tire that I am aware of in the LRE rating in the Bridgestone Duravis R500 commercial tire which has a two ply poly and rib tread, where most have a single ply sidewall. They have a rubber compound that equals many miles of use.

Trailer on, don't look back!

Chris
Old 07-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:

What I'm getting at is the fact that you can hold, weigh or stand on a TK tire and an identical sized Sailun etc. and feel the sizeable weight and construction difference in them. If they both say they have the exact same load carrying ability by TRA, which we know is not correct, how do we know which one is better? Word of mouth, experience, forums?
When you made the weight comparison were both tires steel cased?

http://trailerkingtires.com/tires/La...3-product-line

Tires are built to pass DOT testing standards for a given designated size and load capacity. The best answer you'll get from a tire manufacturer is that they exceed the DOT standards. Example; Carlisle normally makes a statement like that in their advertising.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #20
CWtheMan

Quote:
I know the TRA has the load charts. The person at TBC said the "manufacturer" would have a specific load chart for their tire. The ones I've found have been from the TRA (I did see one once with a Sailun header but don't remember where).
I posted a Sailun load inflation chart reference in post #13.

Tags
tires