Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #21
Northofu1

I agree with John and the fleet option. I see alot of GMC 2500 trucks for major construction companies don't come with tow mirrors, I am pretty sure with the amount of trucks they order, savings are all part of their bottom line. Probably no tow options/Equipment in them either.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #22
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brant,

First, thanks for asking for pictures... Somehow I missed my annual "corrosion control" on the hitch... Now you know what I'll be doing this afternoon....

Here's a few photos of the OEM hitch on my 2015 F250 diesel truck. It's my understanding that all SuperDuty models (gas or diesel) are equipped with the same receiver, but that likely isn't true with "fleet orders". Your equipment list confirms your hitch is not "the standard OEM consumer part"...

As you can see in these photos, my hitch has "3 layers". The outer is the same "reinforcement ring" as yours, the next in is the 2.5" tube and the inner is the 2" sleeve adapter.

Ratings on my receiver with the 2" sleeve in place and a 2" shank are:
Weight carrying: 6000/600
Weight distributing: 12500/1250

With the sleeve removed and a 2.5" shank, ratings are:
Weight carrying: 8500/850
Weight distributing: 19000/1900

Your receiver is "way lighter" than the OEM for SuperDuty trucks built for consumer sale, and with your trailer GVW, it looks like you're "right there at maximum capacity" which might explain why you are seeing the steel deformity. It's at the maximum limits.
John,

Thanks for the photos. I wonder if The models with gas get the class III? I saw another in a parking lot today, same year, same trim, same hitch. Also gas. It took all I had in me from not sliding my wdh in real quick to see if it has the same slop. Since the gas is limited to 12.5k they used a hitch to prevent people like RuffRider from overloading.

The Ford info sticker shows the hitch rated at 12.5k with a wdh so I’m not worried about overloading. I don’t like the slop though. Direct from the Reece site a class IV is $380. I’m sure I could find it cheaper if I shop around. Might be cheap piece of mind as the shank bouncing around in the receiver will cause a failure sooner than later.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Brantly, reckon the receiver is just not "tight" or the shank is not right? I know I had a 2" receiver once that I thought was defective but in fact the shank I was putting in it had somehow not been made with good tolerances leaving a lot of play. New one and it was tight as a jug.....?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #24
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brantly, reckon the receiver is just not "tight" or the shank is not right? I know I had a 2" receiver once that I thought was defective but in fact the shank I was putting in it had somehow not been made with good tolerances leaving a lot of play. New one and it was tight as a jug.....?
Possible. When we get home I’ll get out the calipers and see where it’s off
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Trying to remember but seems the dimension(s) in one of the widths was just a tiny bit off but all the corners were rounded which let it just flop around inside the receiver. The new one I put in had sharp cut corners and stopped all that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #26
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
A lot of this could be solved with a tape measure.
So can a lot of arguments.......

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch