Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
Walnuts

Gas at diesel pumps at Love's, Pilot etc.

Hi all, not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but here goes... I've seen many videos on youtube and advice on here about filling your tow vehicle with diesel (if diesel powered) at a Love's/Pilot type gas station and to then pull forward to allow those behind to start their filling process.
Advice given is that if towing a trailer/fifth wheel etc. to not use the traditional pumps typically at the front of the gas station. So having a gas powered tow vehicle, is gas sold at the semi vehicle pumps?

Thanks in advance for the advice/help.
Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
K_N_L

I have never seen gas, only diesel and DEF at the truck islands at any Loves or Pilot/FJ. The RV's inlands typically out front have both gas/diesel but not bulk def. The Pilot/FJ app for smart phones will note if the store has RV lanes.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
tylerj1966
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_L View Post
I have never seen gas, only diesel and DEF at the truck islands at at any Loves or Pilot/FJ. The RV's inlands typically out front have both gas/diesel but not bulk def. The Pilot/FJ app for smart phones will note if the store has RV lanes.
Good advice^^^ I've been trucking for 32 years and occasionally see gas pumps on truck islands at small, independent stations, but never at the big-name truckstops. Your only hope is the RV islands.
tylerj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
travelin texans

This one of the cons of towing a big long RV with a gasser! You'll have to deal with the idiots at the gas islands that have no clue what they're doing let alone what you need to do to get in/out.
Even towing with a diesel & could easily use the truck islands I found it was easier & usually much cheaper to wait til unhooked to fuel up in town at a smaller station so not dealing with the RV, but we are retired & typically only traveled about 300 miles (3/4 of a tank) per day.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
notanlines

The very, very last thing that professional truck drivers need in their lanes is every fool under the sun who finds it easier to use the truck pumps for gas. Yes, I understand there are a number of gassers hauling fifth wheels, and would act like they've got good sense. Maybe you'd like to have me tell you how many times I've had some rum-dumb leave his farm-beaten dually in my diesel lane at Flying J while he's in buying and eating his breakfast taco? Please, no gas in the diesel lanes!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

What PO's me is going into a station that doesn't have diesel only islands. I avoid them like a covid infected punk coughing up a lung while panhandling.

When the diesel pump is beside the gas pump invariably some knuckle head in a small car will block the diesel pump, go in to hand the cashier 5 bucks, come out and pump his 2 gallons, then let it set there while he goes back in to go grocery shopping and eat a meal. I feel like just pushing it out of the way sometimes.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What PO's me is going into a station that doesn't have diesel only islands. I avoid them like a covid infected punk coughing up a lung while panhandling.

When the diesel pump is beside the gas pump invariably some knuckle head in a small car will block the diesel pump, go in to hand the cashier 5 bucks, come out and pump his 2 gallons, then let it set there while he goes back in to go grocery shopping and eat a meal. I feel like just pushing it out of the way sometimes.
Yep, all the gas only pumps will be open and some twit in a Fiat gets gas at the diesel island.
Kinda like that at Buc-ees. Gas up and leave the car there to go inside and get lunch and shop. Too lazy to move 30 feet to park it.
They live in a "me me me" world. Back in the good old days somebody would threaten to whip your butt for such stupid poo poo.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
The very, very last thing that professional truck drivers need in their lanes is every fool under the sun who finds it easier to use the truck pumps for gas. Yes, I understand there are a number of gassers hauling fifth wheels, and would act like they've got good sense. Maybe you'd like to have me tell you how many times I've had some rum-dumb leave his farm-beaten dually in my diesel lane at Flying J while he's in buying and eating his breakfast taco? Please, no gas in the diesel lanes!
I've had about as many truckers do the very same when I'm behind them with my RV.
Unfortunately EVERYONE nowadays seem to have that "me-me-me" attitude.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
K_N_L

With the TSD card, Loves has been my preferred stop for the best prices. I’ve not run into issues at the truck lanes since I don’t need to hit the fuel desk first and given that I only need prolly 30 or so gallons, I’m out of there quicker than a big semi. Generally can pull forward and use the facilities without holding anyone up. If it’s busy, I’ll park out of the way before going inside. I’ve gotten hung up too often “out front” of the stations to even consider it unless it the only option.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
xrated

One other side to the fueling issue; I have a diesel truck for towing my Toy Hauler. The T.H. isn't exactly a tiny thing (almost 45') and it has two 30 gallon gasoline tanks aboard. I'm about 61' from the front bumper of my truck to the rear of the T.H. Sure, I can use the truck lanes and fuel the truck just fine....but where in the world do I maneuver that rig to fill up the onboard fuel tanks on the T.H.? I guess it might be worthwhile to put a Pilot/Flying J app and a Loves app on my phone so that I can see if a fuel stop has RV lanes or not.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #11
anthonbloom

Slightly off topic but beware green pump handles in BP gas stations in Virginia. I filled my diesel tank with premium gas before realizing that the other island had the diesel pumps, also with green pump handles. Two hours later I had donated a tankful of gas and $100 to a local with a slow evacuation pump and tank and still I had an empty tank.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonbloom View Post
Slightly off topic but beware green pump handles in BP gas stations in Virginia. I filled my diesel tank with premium gas before realizing that the other island had the diesel pumps, also with green pump handles. Two hours later I had donated a tankful of gas and $100 to a local with a slow evacuation pump and tank and still I had an empty tank.
Some Royal Farms around me are new or have been newly renovated. They have pumps with 5 gasoline choices. Add to 2 more diesel choices (bio or straight dino) and it can get pretty confusing. I no longer go by color of the pump handle. If there isn't a diesel only island or separate diesel only pump on a combined island then I will choose the diesel option, remove the handle and confirm the display on the pump has the correct price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel_pump.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	28614  
Old 07-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
Gunny Mike

I stopped filling up front after I almost clipped the pump with my trailer as I tried to swing out to get out of there. Was thinking about a gasser as an extra tow vehicle but I would only use it on in state trips only since they are short and flat terrain.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yep, all the gas only pumps will be open and some twit in a Fiat gets gas at the diesel island.
Kinda like that at Buc-ees. Gas up and leave the car there to go inside and get lunch and shop. Too lazy to move 30 feet to park it.
They live in a "me me me" world. Back in the good old days somebody would threaten to whip your butt for such stupid poo poo.
I'll defend most of those twits. It's genetic, they were born dumb and follow the example set by dumb parents. Not their fault as you cannot fix stupid.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #15
CaptnJohn

Had a truck pull in behind me. He came up and said he always follows 5ers as they are in and out quickly. He avoids MOHOs as they take 5 times the time needed for fuel and DEF. He smiled when I put 37 gallons in the main tank, laughed at 50 in the AUX and a bit of DEF. Said still faster than any he follows. With almost 100 gallons on board I don't need to stop for fuel often.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #16
DeniseJ

Some have gas but you need to check before getting in line (for your convenience). Also if you're a member of the Good Sam Club you get a discount on both diesel and gas at Pilot and Flying J stations which really adds up on some trips.
DeniseJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #17
notanlines

Denise, your "Some have gas but you need to check before getting in line" statement begs for a couple examples. DW and I have probably towed as many diesel miles as anyone on this site, OTR drivers excluded, and the next gas pump we see in the diesel truck lines will be the first. I'm not saying there might be an exception, but in the well more that a hundred I've been in I have yet to see it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Denise, your "Some have gas but you need to check before getting in line" statement begs for a couple examples. DW and I have probably towed as many diesel miles as anyone on this site, OTR drivers excluded, and the next gas pump we see in the diesel truck lines will be the first. I'm not saying there might be an exception, but in the well more that a hundred I've been in I have yet to see it.
Jim, I'd have to agree with you!
If there were & the jerk with their little mini Cooper is parked there in the way to go inside might find that mini under a truck when they come back out.
There's a reason there's not gas in the truck lanes!!!
It's bad enough when the people in the rv parked in the rv island go inside to shop & pee while still parked in the lane, NO consideration!
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #19
Harried Harry

Although not nearly as common now as in the past some truck stops still have gas pumps in the truck area. When I was young (a century ago) I worked at a truck stop which had gas, diesel, and white gas. Now it's almost impossible to find the white gas but No.1 and No. 2 diesel are common.

Good topic and a reminder for all of us to be courteous and move away from the pumps after you fuel up if you need to go inside. BTW: I would never make it if I couldn't stop after four hours of driving, my bladder would burst.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

White gas, that brings back memories. I remember going to the Amoco station to get that for the Coleman stove. Still have that stove out in my garage.

Tags
gas