Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
ubetcha

Tire pressure monitor

Decided to purchase a RV tire pressure monitor,but noticed that there are several makes on the market. What make and model do most of you guys use of does it really matter as long as there is a monitoring system used.
ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Canonman

Check out the TST brand. We bought the TST 507 with the flow through sensors four years ago. Been very happy. The set up works well and no need for a signal repeater with our 5th wheel. Very accurate temp and pressure readings, TST had a nice write up in last months Trailer Life. We wouldn't travel without it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (10 of 11).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	28189  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I use TST as well. Depending on the size of your trailer you may or may not need a repeater. Our previous bumper pull was 37' or so and we didn't need one. Moved it to the new 5th wheel and although just a foot longer the RR sensor kept dropping out. Installed the repeater but haven't gone anywhere to test it yet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Bill-2020

I use the cheaper one that tire minder makes. It does what I need for 4 wheels but the display is hard to see in bright daylight. One day I’ll belly up for a TST, it’s the most popular one here I think.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
ubetcha

Thanks all for the help. I was just watching a Youtube video on the TST system and they showed two different tire sensors. The flow thru sensors looks quite large. Does that much weight hanging off a standard rubber valve stem or a high pressure metal stem cause any undo stress to the stem when drive down the road? I would not like to have a stem failure when driving.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
Thanks all for the help. I was just watching a Youtube video on the TST system and they showed two different tire sensors. The flow thru sensors looks quite large. Does that much weight hanging off a standard rubber valve stem or a high pressure metal stem cause any undo stress to the stem when drive down the road? I would not like to have a stem failure when driving.
You’ll need metal valve stems. The centrifugal force can cause a failure of a rubber stem. Everyone here will tell you that.

That being said, Discount tire was not able to put metal stems on my wheels because of the depth and diameter of the shoulder of the wheel. In order to use the tire sensors, I had to attach small, hard rubber, braces between the rubber stem and the aluminum wheel edge with VHB double sided tape to prevent stem movement while towing. (They keep the stem from bending over.) This is not an ideal option, but it’s working for me until I change the wheels.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
tech740

I liked my tireminder tm55 when I had tires that were 80psi and below. Now I have a tireminder i10 and it works great also.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:06 AM   #8
ubetcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
You’ll need metal valve stems. The centrifugal force can cause a failure of a rubber stem. Everyone here will tell you that.

That being said, Discount tire was not able to put metal stems on my wheels because of the depth and diameter of the shoulder of the wheel. In order to use the tire sensors, I had to attach small, hard rubber, braces between the rubber stem and the aluminum wheel edge with VHB double sided tape to prevent stem movement while towing. (They keep the stem from bending over.) This is not an ideal option, but it’s working for me until I change the wheels.
After I made my last post, I watched some more YouTube videos and it was stated that the flow through sensory needed metal stems. One video stated that the flow through sensors were to be used with metal stem,but the other style could be used for both rubber of metal. I plan on changing my tires to Carlisle trailer tires and go to metal stems. At least that's the plan for now.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #9
Canonman

You'll be happy you went with metal stems. When we upgraded to the Carlisle tires we had metal stems installed. Partly to accommodate the TST sensors but mostly because the new tires had a max pressure rating of 80 psi. Did the same when the truck tires were replaced with LRE 10 ply tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (7 of 11).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	28204  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
travelin texans

Just FYI! If you get the flo thru sensors on the inside of dual wheels they are a huge PITA to inflate or remove, almost necessary to remove the wheel. The non flo thru are also a bit difficult, but doable. Metal valve stems are a must regardless of the brand of valve stem sensors.
I had the TST507 on all 10 wheels, dually truck & 40' 5th wheel, with no booster needed. I used it for 6+ years with only 3 sensors needing batteries then sold it to a friend that had the replace 2 others this past year.
The TST systems have user changeable batteries that can be found at Batteries + & TST has great customer service if needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
fjr vfr

This is what you need for aluminum wheels. They fit perfectly.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...-valve-han1600

I also have the tstruck, but I don't think there's much difference between the popular brands. I also have the cap sensors. I didn't like how far out the flow through sensors stick out.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
Cougar Jim

Pressure Pro sensors

Used Pressure Pro sensors when we had mohos and Jeep. I just use four of them now for the four on the trailer.
Cougar Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #13
ubetcha

no dually's on my TT. I have a Keystone Hideout 26RLS with steel wheels. By the way, I understand that the max inflation readings for the rims are located on the rim somewhere. Are they stamped on the backside of the rim or on the inside of the rim covered with tire? in other words, do I have to remove the tire from the rim or just take the rim/tire assembly off and look at the back side?
Old 06-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
no dually's on my TT. I have a Keystone Hideout 26RLS with steel wheels. By the way, I understand that the max inflation readings for the rims are located on the rim somewhere. Are they stamped on the backside of the rim or on the inside of the rim covered with tire? in other words, do I have to remove the tire from the rim or just take the rim/tire assembly off and look at the back side?

Back side of the wheel. You can remove them, or if lucky, slip under the trailer and read it on the back. If the spare wheel is the same it might be easier. Some come with lb. rating, some with pressure rating, some with both from what I've seen.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #15
MarkEHansen

Here is a review I used to help me decide on a TPMS. I ended up going with the EEZTire TPMS system: https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tire-p...tems-reviewed/
Old 06-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #16
CUTiger80

I have also purchased a new fiver and want to add a TPMS.
I am interested in the TireMinder Smart TPMS since it interfaces with a smart phone instead of having a separate display.
Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

2019 Montana 3561RL
2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax High Country
Romans 8:28
CUTiger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
CaptnJohn

Been using the TST 507 non-flow thru for years. Removed the 'lock' feature. Would never tow without TST 507.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #18
goodellj

I have the TST 510 system and have been using it for 8 years. They don't sell it any more since they have upgraded the technology, but we have been very happy with it. A couple of things I would do differently:

1. You only need sensors for the trailer tires. I got 4 extra sensors so that I could monitor the truck tires also, but I have never really needed them because I have never had a problem with the truck tires.
2. I eventually got a repeater, which I wish I had gotten sooner.
3. Flow through sensors make a lot of sense and seem like they could be a lot more convenient, and yes you will need steel valve stems for them.

I think everyone should have a TPMS.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #19
Hoopy Frood

I have the TST system with the flow-through sensors. If I had to do it over again, I would skip the flow-through as they are a pain to add more than a couple PSI. They limit the flow rate so that it takes forever to add as little as 5 PSI.

I like mine with one caveat: if the monitor loses the sensor signal, it can take up to an hour to notify you of the fact. The tire will continue to show the last pressure reading it got. I don't know why they've never addressed this issue, but have said it isn't a problem. I beg to disagree as I consider an hour to alert you to a lost signal is waaaay too long. And if the sensor reconnects, you'll never know you've been without a sensor reading.

They do come with a repeater now as a band aid, so that will definitely lessen the problems with sensor reading losses.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #20
LewisB

We like the TST507 with flow through sensors.

Strongly recommend you get a system that does NOT require the wheels to be in motion to activate the sensors. While this might save the battery life on the sensors, it means you have to be on the road to "check your tires" - or you have to manually check them with a gauge after being parked.

The TST system allows you to check your tires at any time without the wheels being in motion. This one feature has saved us before - while camped, a trailer tire went flat after picking up a nail while parking. With the hydraulic "level up" system, we didn't see the flat. But the day before departure, I turned on the TST system to check everything and it immediately alerted me to a flat. That gave me a day to get it fixed at my own timing. With other systems, I would not have known until we were in motion or unless I had manually checked each tire.

So this is an important feature to consider in selecting a system.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote