Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #21
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Most likely if the rear axel is bent it is from turning sharp corners. I’m not criticizing anyone’s driving, it’s these cheap axels can’t take twisting that happens during tight turns. Some people have had success with having an alignment shop resetting them. Last resort would be to replace with a heavier model.

You can take a straight edge or even a string across the face of tires and see pretty quickly if there are any gaps. If the gaps are front to rear then it’s bent from turning. If they are not level up and down and it could be a weight issue bending them.
Most axles I have seen have an intentional upward bow in the middle.
This is to allow for "camber" and "toe-in" to be achieved.
The upward arch should be slightly behind verticle.
The spring pads are welded at this strategic geometrey to get the desired camber/toe-in.
This geometrey is needed to keep the trailer tracking "true", without "wandering" back and forth.
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #22
bigbluejmc

Dexter axel are not what they used to be

We have changed two rear axle on our 2012 327RES cougar. After several worn tires and one blowout (blamed the China bombs) we found a REAR axle with a spindle that was not pressed straight. Dexter said that it could have happened for many reason and mostly my bad driving. Axel shop said it was manufacturing bad quality they are seen more and more. Put new axle on and 20 months later driving through Louisiana (really bad roads) hit a road to bridge junction and tire sensor indicated a front axle tire rapid air loss. By the time we stopped the tire was very low and I replaced it. In the way home on a routine tire check I noticed that the rear axle tire on the same side was showing heavy inside wear. By the time we got home it was bold. Took rv to axle guy and he showed me where axle spindle was bent. No off road or heavy load or driving nose high, just normal road hazard for a trailer with bad quality axle.

2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.7L
2012 Cougar 327RES
bigbluejmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #23
FlyingAroundRV

I think rather than a Dexter fault, this is a Keystone fault.
Dexter make axles to take a certain load. Keystone put them on trailers that are usually greater than that load, relying on the TV carrying some of that weight.
In my case, my trailer is rated for #7600 gross. But the trailer has two 3,500# axles.
That works until you put a weight distribution hitch on and start loading the truck. The hitch redistributes weight from the trailer to the front wheels of the truck, but it is not unidirectional. So it redistributes weight from the truck back to the trailer as well. So how's that looking for the axles now?
IMO that's why we're bending axles.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #24
CedarCreekWoody

We are discussing a bent axle on a 5th wheel trailer. There is no weight distribution hitch involved. That being said I, too share your concern on axles with minimal capability.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #25
bigbluejmc

Dexter axel are not what they used to be

My concern is that the original axel had a manufacturer problem and the second new axel could not take a dip on the road. My axel guy said that the loading was ok for the axel and we both wondered why the front axel took the hit ok but not the rear. Since the front takes the hit first and elevates the rv, why did the rear suffered the damage.....I know it has independent suspension so they will both take the hit, but he rear should have much less weight on it at the time of impact.

2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.7L
2012 Cougar 327RES
bigbluejmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #26
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
We are discussing a bent axle on a 5th wheel trailer. There is no weight distribution hitch involved. That being said I, too share your concern on axles with minimal capability.
Woody:
Yes, fifth wheelers have the same issues because the RV manufacturers rely on a certain amount being supported by the TV. I agree that the loading of the TV doesn't have the same affect on the 5ers as with the bumper pulls. But the manufacturers still skimp on the axle ratings.
Having a trailer with axles that are only rated to the limit of the load rating of the trailer (or less) is not so much an issue with utility trailers etc that are usually loaded well below their maximum, but I think it's unacceptable with trailers that run most of their lives at or near their gross load limits.
IMO, like with the tires issue, the RV manufacturers need to provide some safety margins in the axles. Yes, I know it will make the trailers more expensive, but when so many are faced with expensive repairs for bent axles, the small increase in purchase price is premium I'm willing to pay. After all, the cost of the repairs is not where the costs to me as an owner end. There's down time and the hassle of finding a reputable repair shop, and loss of amenity with my rig and the extra cost of worn tires.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 06-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #27
CedarCreekWoody

I agreed with you, just pointing out the weight distribution hitch is not the issue.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #28
CWtheMan

What consumers often overlook is the maximum figures provided with a trailer’s certification label.

GVWR is a maximum limiter for vehicle total weight.

GAWR is the maximum limiter for the axle (s) on that vehicle.

With trailer axles they are not required to provide any “wiggle room”. Multi-axle RV trailers are notorious for having an overloaded axle or an overloaded wheel position. It is the consumer’s responsibility to operate their trailers inside of the maximum parameters provided with the vehicle certification label.

All RV trailer manufacturers’ have the authority to SET GAWR limits lower than the axle manufacturers maximum load limit. Therefore, for all practical purposes, a 7000# axle set for a vehicle certified 6750 # GAWR, has 250# of load capacity reserves
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #29
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I agreed with you, just pointing out the weight distribution hitch is not the issue.
Yep, I understood that. I hope you didn't think I was criticising. Just adding a bit more of my opinion on the matter.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 06-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

The "critical factor" is weight reduction to achieve all of the "advertised" ultralight and half ton towable features. You can't (or Keystone can't) build a 35' travel trailer that weighs 4800 pounds without reducing weight in EVERY component. Starting with appliances (17" range, smaller refrigerator, etc) and going to the frame (NORCO stamped vs Lippert welded) and even the size of the propane tanks (20 pound vs 30 pound), plastic toilet vs ceramic, plastic faucets vs cast, and yes, even replacing those "heavy 5000 pound axles" with lighter versions...

Every pound adds up and designing a lighter trailer results in decreased durability in order to achieve increased "small vehicle towability"...

Then along comes the new owner who packs it full of things like solar systems, dual or triple battery systems, replaces the propane tanks with 30 pound tanks, adds a rack on the back to carry a 3500 watt generator (to run the A/C while boondocking down a rutted gravel road) and … well hopefully you get the idea....

Nothing is more confusing than believing you've got an "ultralight RV" and thinking it's "built like a tank".... Ain't gonna happen....

Even with "luxury, heavy RV's" you'll find weight reduction/weight savings a major consideration in design. In order to include those wood floors, ceramic tile bath floors and solid surface countertops, pounds must be "shaved somewhere else" and it's typically a reduction from 8000 pound axles to 7000 pound ones or even 6000 pound ones and "cutting the margin of overkill" in every possible component. Heck, just adding 14 ply tires increases the trailer weight significantly over those 10 ply "may-pops"...

I'm not defending the industry, just pointing out that you can't "beef up every component in an "ultra-light trailer" and still sell it as an ultra-light....

It's possible that the industry should consider heavier axles, but to keep the trailer weight below the requirement, keep the payload at/above the requirement, what would you cut from the list of "features that make it better than Jayco" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #31
ChuckS

Yes.. the Dexter axles come pre bent to provide proper camber when installed and weight applied to the frame...

This link will tell you just about anything you’d want to know regarding Dexter axles specs, etc

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=aedb1548_4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7FA285D-DE2B-4809-997F-D8D6E3532772.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	28081  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #32
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Yes.. the Dexter axles come pre bent to provide proper camber when installed and weight applied to the frame...

This link will tell you just about anything you’d want to know regarding Dexter axles specs, etc

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=aedb1548_4
Toein is also addressed in the above link.
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #33
hitchikerman

Yup just had mine changed on my 2012 318 SAB. With a new tire total cost was $1300.00. I don't remember exactly when it happen but when I left New port richey FL and got to Adairsville GA the left side rear axle tire was worn down to no tread what so ever. I had filled my water tank with water thinking that had something to do with but I'm not sure. I sold the trailer
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #34
Mwoods321

Do you have any after market suggestions for a more heavy duty axles(s) to replace the stock ones?
Mwoods321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #35
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoods321 View Post
Do you have any after market suggestions for a more heavy duty axles(s) to replace the stock ones?
Unfortunately, that's almost impossible to answer. RV manufacturers grab parts off the shelf and those parts can change from day-to-day and supplier-to-supplier. So you can't just order replacement parts for a certain year, make, and model trailer and be certain you will get the right parts - replacing an unknown with a stronger unknown just is not likely to work.

So, yes, you can (example) replace 4000 lb axles with 6000 lb axles, but what are the correct dimensions, width, spring perches, springs, spindles, drop, etc. Your best bet is to get complete measurements on what you have, then get with Dexter and start talking with them. They are very helpful on the phone. This is not all that hard, but it will take some work on your part. The attached docs are old, but these will give you an idea about what is involved:
Dexter Application Manual.pdf
Dexter Wheels & Tires.pdf
Dexter Axle Catalog (1 of 4).pdf
Dexter Axle Catalog (2 of 4).pdf
Dexter Axle Catalog (3 of 4).pdf
Dexter Axle Catalog (4 of 4).pdf

Hope that helps!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #36
KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Good luck with warranty. Dexter is replacing my rear axle as a customer concession, not a warranty. They have an entire host of reasons that they will use to not warranty an axle. Really what they are avoiding is paying labor costs.

Below is what I got as a reply:
Good morning,

We have assigned case number: CAS-66745 for the tracking of your reported bent axle issue causing inside tire wear.

Possible causes of Inside tire wear are static or dynamic overloading/overstressed condition, loss of camber, not towing the unit level, worn or loose suspension parts, out of balance tires and wheels, defective tires, or toe-out or alignment issues.

Our warranty policy does not arbitrarily cover alignment, bent axle/spindle, camber, toe, abnormal tire wear complaints or regular or inadequate maintenance issues. We have no control over how the unit is towed, loaded, serviced or what other conditions the axles or parts may encounter during usage so our warranty policy normally does not arbitrarily cover these conditions, unfortunately we must respectfully decline warranty consideration for this claim request.

What we can offer to help assist the customer with this reported issue would be a customer concession for a replacement rear axle shipped to you at No Charge. We would not be able to cover labor or any other expenses for this reported issue that is not covered under our warranty policy.

When Dexter Axle agrees or offers to supply a replacement rear axle to a customer as a “customer concession” this is being done strictly as a goodwill gesture. Customer concessions are not intended to convey or construe this action as warranty.

Where would you like us to ship the replacement rear axle to?

Thank you,

David Switalski

Dexter Axle Warranty Department
I got that exact same email from that same guy back in February when I found I had a bent axle.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:01 AM   #37
twhalen54

2019 Montana HC 373rd

Just had my rear axle replaced while on trip. Relatively new, had blowout with low quality original tire (driver side) replace all 4 with 14 ply on first long trip 2019. Rear driver side tire wearing on inside (belt starting to show). Replaced axle in Arizona along with new tires on rear axle.

Keystone says sorry, but too hard to tell what causes axle problems. Have a nice day.

Who have you contacted to get any kind of financial reimbursement?
twhalen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:09 AM   #38
KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhalen54 View Post
Just had my rear axle replaced while on trip. Relatively new, had blowout with low quality original tire (driver side) replace all 4 with 14 ply on first long trip 2019. Rear driver side tire wearing on inside (belt starting to show). Replaced axle in Arizona along with new tires on rear axle.

Keystone says sorry, but too hard to tell what causes axle problems. Have a nice day.

Who have you contacted to get any kind of financial reimbursement?
Read the post above yours.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #39
hitchikerman

Dexter...hands down
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle