Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Travelnguy

Washer/dryer install

I had camping world install our new washer/dryer combo. We have a 2009 Everest 5th wheel. It was pre plumbed for the washer/ dryer.....we thought. Power was there with breaker switch. Plumbing was there..we thought. Hooked up the plumbing and the hoses went 6 feet and stopped under a set of drawers. The plumbing was never finished!!!! Is this normal or did they screw up at the factory???
Our RV had an optional washer/dryer in the place we put it. Had all the hookups, but now it look like it could be a lot of work to finish the install.

Thanks, Robert
Travelnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Kansas Gary

It sounds like someone during the building process forgot to finish the job. On our Alpine the plumbing was complete along with the electric for both the washer & dryer. The only thing that wasn’t was the vent for the dryer to the outside. It was marked on the wall as to where to put it though......
Kansas Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If the washer is in a closet in the front of a fifth wheel, it’s common for the drain to run along the inside wall and then take a 90 degree turn down. Are you sure it “ends” at the drawers, or do you see an elbow.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:08 AM   #4
Travelnguy

Thanks for the reply, but yes the elbow is not there. That's exactly what I thought it should be. No, the hoses end. There is a hole going into the storage compartment below where the elbow should be. It just looks like they forgot to finish the job.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:46 AM   #5
Dave W

Someone screwed up!

If you are a DIYer, it should not be too difficult to pull that set of drawers out of the way and open the 'box' along the wall to finish the piping run to the gray tank. It will take a couple lengths of ABS piping (special glue) and a few fittings

We have a W-D hookup but luckily not using it as the drain isn't fully glued together but at least it's there.

Let us know how it works out
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:22 AM   #6
Travelnguy

Has anyone heard of this happening??? What is Keystone's position on it?? I think they should finish the job!!! Its not a warranty issue!!
Old 04-15-2018, 04:42 AM   #7
Tinner12002

This late in the game I'm guessing your on your own. As Dave W said, if you are a DIYer then plan on getting dirty or you could take the RV to a shop and let them fix it.
If CW has it now, see what they would charge to complete the plumbing.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s what I’m thinking. I wouldn’t count on any help from Keystone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Just thinking out loud here....

Is this a "we bought it new" trailer or a "new to you" trailer???

Is it possible that if it's "new to you" that the previous owner modified the plumbing? We have a member who doesn't ever plan to install a washer/dryer, didn't want to have to deal with winterizing that part of the plumbing, so he "un-installed" the connections from the main plumbing run to the washer/dryer connections. That way, when he winterizes, that part no longer needs any work.

So, is it possible that a previous owner might have "helped you out" a bit more than first expected ???

If you're the first owner, then yup, maybe Keystone didn't finish the job or maybe the dealership ordered it that way ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #10
Travelnguy

Thanks guys!!! It is new to us. I don't think the original owners would have taken out the plumbing. It would never have had any water in it, so winterizeation would not have been necessary.

I am pretty sure it came from the factory like this, but Keystones responce will be interesting.

Camping world said it will be a major job to finish installation. Like $$$$. Doesn't look that hard to me...
Old 04-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

You will need to find the gray tank, drop it and at fittings. Might be easier to finish off the plumbing in the basement, add a blade valve and termination fitting to drain straight to GC system.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
Jim2366

We have had our Cougar 361rlw in a Keystone dealer and paid for a Splendide stackable washer and dryer. There is a closet designated for a stackable washer dryer. The dealer called Keystone because the dryer would not fit because of the side vent. He verified that he ordered the correct model for our RV but they said that the door would have to remain off and the dryer would stick out into the room. The dealer has been great they are going to refund the money for the washer and dryer. The big selling feature of our model that the washer dryer was off the kitchen instead of the bedroom. Mrs is not too happy that was a big reason we selected this RV.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #13
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
We have had our Cougar 361rlw in a Keystone dealer and paid for a Splendide stackable washer and dryer. There is a closet designated for a stackable washer dryer. The dealer called Keystone because the dryer would not fit because of the side vent. He verified that he ordered the correct model for our RV but they said that the door would have to remain off and the dryer would stick out into the room. The dealer has been great they are going to refund the money for the washer and dryer. The big selling feature of our model that the washer dryer was off the kitchen instead of the bedroom. Mrs is not too happy that was a big reason we selected this RV.

Can you go with just the Splendide all-in-one I install the 2100XC in my Jayco I could have install the stackable but I choice to install the 2100XC.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #14
travelin texans

My Splendide stackable dryer in our last 5th wheel & the Splendide combo in the prior 5th wheel both vented out the back through the exterior wall with no issues.
I installed the combo unit myself including drilling the 4" hole through the wall, not sure who was more nervous, me or the DW, but it went relatively easy.
Sounds to me someone ordered the wrong dryer!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

During our searching prior to buying this trailer, and the revelation that DW wanted a washer and dryer all of a sudden, we looked at lots of trailers. We did not look at the 361, our preference was the 315rls (until we found they moved the location of the island much too close to the stove on the 20s). At that time we were told that we wouldn't be happy with a combo (I know some are - the saleman had and used one) AND that the Cougar line would not accept a stackable washer and dryer (Splendide). That is the primary reason we went to a full profile and got the HC. The Cougar is a mid profile.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:58 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

This isn't the first time there's been an issue with installing a washer/dryer in a Keystone fifth wheel. It's been a problem with some models for years. Back as far as 2016, installing a "stackable W/D" has brought clearance issues to the table. Here's one of several threads on this forum concerning the issue: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=washer+dryer

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #17
purebred

Plus their a pain in the butt installing them.

Our Splendide all in one washer dryer fits pretty good in our alpine. Main problem though was installing it. Those suckers are heavy. Took me and another good size person to just get it up the stairs. Plus had to disassemble stuff just to get it to the bedroom. Works great but what a pain.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
Jim2366

We picked up our 2019 Keystone Cougar 361rlw from the Keystone Dealer. They gave us a refund for the washer and dryer and did not charge us for labor. They could not have provided better service. The owner of the dealer had ordered the washer and dryer model that Keystone said was the correct model.

The space is too small. The depth is only 23 1/2 inches and with the dryer vented to a side wall and the door knob its impossible.

So what next. I guess I will keep using laundry mats, which we were almost robbed once at. Look at a non vented combo washer and dryer which might be the best solution. Lastly look at other brands and see about a different door that mounts on the outside wall and putting the hinges on a trim board that is 3/4 inch thick.

Thanks for your input, I sure thought a 39'4" RV had enough space. We do really like our RV, next time it will be a Montana.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Jim sorry for all the troubles but glad the dealer was so good about it all. My initial choice for a 5th wheel was a Cougar (2020) but when DW decided on a stackable washer and dryer the dealer in FL where we were at the time said right up front a stackable would not work in a Cougar (mid profile) and would have to be in a Montana. I double checked that with the dealer in TX and they said the same thing so don't know what happened on your deal.

As far as unvented, that was a thumbs down from us right off the bat due to the moisture it will introduce into the camper. We have to run a dehumidifier much of the time anyway and moisture/humidity is a killer for an RV. They did tell us that a combo (vented) would work and in fact the salesman in FL had a Cougar as I recall and had one in it? Would one not work in your Cougar? If memory serves, the problem with the stackable was height and the curve of the lower Cougar front roof which pushed it forward. Maybe the combo would work - better than the coin laundry; DW is head over heels in love with it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #20
KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jim sorry for all the troubles but glad the dealer was so good about it all. My initial choice for a 5th wheel was a Cougar (2020) but when DW decided on a stackable washer and dryer the dealer in FL where we were at the time said right up front a stackable would not work in a Cougar (mid profile) and would have to be in a Montana. I double checked that with the dealer in TX and they said the same thing so don't know what happened on your deal.

As far as unvented, that was a thumbs down from us right off the bat due to the moisture it will introduce into the camper. We have to run a dehumidifier much of the time anyway and moisture/humidity is a killer for an RV. They did tell us that a combo (vented) would work and in fact the salesman in FL had a Cougar as I recall and had one in it? Would one not work in your Cougar? If memory serves, the problem with the stackable was height and the curve of the lower Cougar front roof which pushed it forward. Maybe the combo would work - better than the coin laundry; DW is head over heels in love with it.
Unvented does not introduce moisture into the rv.

This is a way too often spread myth.

Tags
washer