Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
grtoutdoors

2010 361LEV Proper Battery Connection(s) or ??

Hi Everyone,

Need some help from everyone. I have a 2010 361LEV that we just got back from the dealer getting some repairs (took 3 months). BUT - I think the dealer has wired my batteries the wrong way or my inverter is toast or all the above

When we picked up the coach, we thought the batteries were dead as the landing gear would not come up and nothing on the coach would fire up (no lights or anything). So we hooked up shore power and life was good - landing gear came up and everything worked. But I did not hear the inverter kick in to charge the batteries when the shore power was plugged in - which usually happens. So, when we got the coach home, I again had to plug in shore power to bring the landing gear down and left it plugged in to charge the batteries - but again, no fan from the inverter which usually happens to charge the batteries - when shore is plugged in. What was also wierd is that the genset would not fire up as well - it was like there was no juice getting to it to turn the starter.

So, I decided to pull the batteries to put them on the trickle charger. When I was doing that, I thought it was wierd how the batteries were wired up. Here is what it had:

From the genset(compartment) it had both the + (red tape) and - (black tape) connected to the + of the front battery. Then on the front battery it had a white wire that was grounded to the coach. Both the + && - of the front batteries were then 'jumpered' to the same on the back battery. On the back battery it had a BLACK wire connected to + and a small white wire connected to -.

Now from what I understand, in coaches ... black is actually positive and not negative - is this correct? And does it make any sense whatsoever that the gensets + && - are connected to the positive terminal on the battery?

Sooooo - does anyone have a picture of their batteries wired up?

Side note, the batteries were actually not that dead when I stuck them on the charger ... so something is definately a miss. Although should the inverter not kick in and fully top up the batteries when shore power is connected?

Does it also make sense that without the batteries in place and shore power hooked up ... that the coach will run as normal? I guess it should as it will by pass the batteries all together.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the wealth of knowledge on the forum.

Curt
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

First ..... do you have 2 6v or 12 v batteries.

Second .... the genset is wired wrong should be black to - red to +
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
grtoutdoors

They are 12V RV && marine heavy duty batteries.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Curt, If I am following your description correctly , the batteries are wired right. Correct the genset wires and try again. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
grtoutdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Curt, If I am following your description correctly , the batteries are wired right. Correct the genset wires and try again. Good luck, Hank
Hank,

This is exactly what I did this morning and everything seems to be A-OK .

It bothers me to no end that when you take your coach in for repairs it usually takes them months to fix (we are not talking any big repairs here - we are talking a few warranty issues) and when you get your coach back, they have decided to let your batteries drain completely dead (they could have just pulled the battery disconnect swith). Not only that, but when you go to pick it up ... they don't even plug the trailer in to allow the batteries to recharge - grrrr.

In any case, I fully charged them, wired up the genset properly and zippy zoo - the coach is back in running condition .

C