Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
breadman224

Angry Outback 340BHS Need some Feedback Please?

The Outback 5th wheel we ordered new in February of 2012 was our third Keystone trailer and at this point our biggest disapointment! we were told mfg. would be 6-8 weeks and we recieved it in 4 and it shows, Our wood dinning table arrived with a dent in the top, the plumbing leaks, outside kitchen door was installed wrong and tilted, latches were detatching from the walls, The large blinds and vallance at dinning room window fell out of the wall onto the table. But my biggest issue is that i ordered this coach new! Our main floor wich is vinyle started to roll back from the wall edges dureing non-use, While visiting another dealer i asked them to look at this and after opening a few cabinets found that the tile lines under the cabinets didnt line up with the floor outside the cabinets, It was determined at that time that the floor was damaged at near completion and rather than gut the cabinetry they cut and dropped in a new floor prior to shipping it to us. Keystone would have gotten away with this but areas that they couldnt put trim moldings around cabinets is where the floor was rolling up, and wood floor exposed around the doors where the carpet knife man got sloppy! And the replacement floor goes at an angle because it was not installed square! I got the trailer back 2 our dealer and asked if they agreed with me that this floor was damaged ad replaced and they did agree! The floors are layed all the way across the unit before cabinetry is installed on top. We have documented and photographed all these issues and took the coach back to dealer, At this time Nov.10th 2012 we have been told by the dealer that Keystone has told them to staple down and trim mold the floor! THIS IS WARE I WOULD LIKE UR THOUGHTS ON THIS! We paid $31,000 for a brand new ordered trailer and this is what they {Keystone) delivered! Keystone says they have not made a determination on this and the dealer says they were told to repair it! My wife and I feel that we ddnt get what we paid for! We didnt get scratch and dent priceing, but got scratch and dent quallity!!! I would appreciate some feed back on how you would deal with this, We feel that keystone should take this coach back and give us what we paid for. If you took the time to read all this THANK YOU ! Frustrated.
breadman224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Frustrated

First and foremost, my best wishes for a satisfactory outcome with the factory. Second, maintain sanity. It's only a "thing" manufactured by man.
Third, try VERY HARD, not to be upset and scream at the person to whom you are speaking. It will not help and your blood pressure will rise.

Now reality: make a list of every flaw you see at this point. Make sure when you communicate with the dealer or the factory that you document the date; time; to whom you communicated; the issue discussed and next step course of action. If follow up is committed, make notes and place it on your calendar to ensure it happens. Whenever practical, ask any person you communicate with to e mail you a confirmation of the commitment. These could be potentially critical should you need a lawyer down the road.

NEVER ASSUME anything! PERIOD. The factory will do the minimum it can to make you satisfied.

At this point, you did not get what you paid for and you want that corrected (or replaced) do not assume that a different unit will be any better, UNLESS you buy one in stock from a dealer lot and do a thorough PDI and take it nearby and camp in it for 2-3 nights.

Most of us who purchased Keystone products are "overall" satisfied and would buy another one. That does not excuse poor craftsmanship. BUT, most things can be fixed or replaced.

If you strongly feel the unit needs to be replaced, state your case in a letter and send it, certified, return receipt requested, to BOTH the dealer and factory. Give them a time frame in which you expect to hear from them; ie, 7 to 10 business days from receipt of your letter.

Be professional and courteous. This is a start. You can always be more stern just before you seek legal assistance. IF you hire a lawyer, they likely will take a similar approach at the beginning of the process. They will CHARGE YOU for every phone call to anyone, every letter written, every follow up, etc. You may be stuck paying these fees out of pocket. The result may not be any different than you could achieve on your own.

LAST: be patient. Have a cup of coffee. It will get better.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
mhs4771

I agree with everything suggested by Outbackmel, but the biggest problem I see is that you've had the unit since Feb and just now discovering the problem. While getting a new unit would be ideal, you do have to be realistic and assume it won't happen, so is there an upgrade of something Keystone and/or Dealer could do to help take the sting off the problem? Are you a GoodSam member, if so maybe a letter to their Help Line might spark a response from Keystone. Above all, keep a cool head (may be pretty hard at times) and just stick to the Facts. Good luck
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
breadman224

Thanks for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
First and foremost, my best wishes for a satisfactory outcome with the factory. Second, maintain sanity. It's only a "thing" manufactured by man.
Third, try VERY HARD, not to be upset and scream at the person to whom you are speaking. It will not help and your blood pressure will rise.

Now reality: make a list of every flaw you see at this point. Make sure when you communicate with the dealer or the factory that you document the date; time; to whom you communicated; the issue discussed and next step course of action. If follow up is committed, make notes and place it on your calendar to ensure it happens. Whenever practical, ask any person you communicate with to e mail you a confirmation of the commitment. These could be potentially critical should you need a lawyer down the road.

NEVER ASSUME anything! PERIOD. The factory will do the minimum it can to make you satisfied.

At this point, you did not get what you paid for and you want that corrected (or replaced) do not assume that a different unit will be any better, UNLESS you buy one in stock from a dealer lot and do a thorough PDI and take it nearby and camp in it for 2-3 nights.

Most of us who purchased Keystone products are "overall" satisfied and would buy another one. That does not excuse poor craftsmanship. BUT, most things can be fixed or replaced.

If you strongly feel the unit needs to be replaced, state your case in a letter and send it, certified, return receipt requested, to BOTH the dealer and factory. Give them a time frame in which you expect to hear from them; ie, 7 to 10 business days from receipt of your letter.

Be professional and courteous. This is a start. You can always be more stern just before you seek legal assistance. IF you hire a lawyer, they likely will take a similar approach at the beginning of the process. They will CHARGE YOU for every phone call to anyone, every letter written, every follow up, etc. You may be stuck paying these fees out of pocket. The result may not be any different than you could achieve on your own.

LAST: be patient. Have a cup of coffee. It will get better.
Thanks for your input, My wife and i have been direct but pollite, I expect as with any trailer small issues that can be fixed, the floor was discovered damaged when the linolium started curling away from the walls when heat built up in the trailer. We will see what options they will give us. again thanks. Mike
breadman224 is offline   Reply With Quote