Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
chain_dogg

Fuzion 40 foot air conditoning

Has anyone added a 3rd a/c unit ? I was in 101 degree weather a few weeks ago, and 2 a/c units did not keep it cool enough. I'm going to add a 3rd unit over the kitchen area before next summer. A small 11btu high efficiency unit that only draws 9-10 amp, and leave a short cord hanging out of the unit on the roof. That way the few times a year I need it' I. An run a cord to the pedistal, or just add another circuit from the panel. The trailer on Got down to about 87 degrees with the 2 units running.
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Jeffrey11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_dogg View Post
Has anyone added a 3rd a/c unit ? I was in 101 degree weather a few weeks ago, and 2 a/c units did not keep it cool enough. I'm going to add a 3rd unit over the kitchen area before next summer. A small 11btu high efficiency unit that only draws 9-10 amp, and leave a short cord hanging out of the unit on the roof. That way the few times a year I need it' I. An run a cord to the pedistal, or just add another circuit from the panel. The trailer on Got down to about 87 degrees with the 2 units running.
You may not need a 3rd unit. I am on my third 40+ foot trailer the first two only had one unit and we never had a problem 115 degrees and mid 70's inside.

The trick is how the units are set up make sure you air return and cold air do not mix. Keystone does not do a good job of this at the factory. Seal the air boxes up tight and see what happens.
Jeffrey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
chain_dogg

Jeff'
thanks for the input. I have all the vents on the a,c units closed to push the air thru the vents, and not in the rooms. The front a,c is vented thru the bathroom, living area' and thru the garage. The rear unit does the same all the way thru to the bedroom so they cross vent. I never had this problem with 36 footer. Also I was at a campground with 30 amp hook ups' so during the peak of day, I ran the generator for both a,c units to work. I'm wondering if maybe the generator power is just not clean enough to make the units run at full capacity. Thanks again
Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
BMcCutcheon

Wink

Jeff is absolutely right. I have both had this problem and have known many folks that have. I learned from my dealer during a roof replacement, that many Keystone trailers come out of the factory with the AC not properly taped off and a lot of the cold air bleeds into the ceiling. If you take off the inside cover (Facing the Interior) of the AC unit, Look to see if the installer sealed all of the edges (Except the duct) with Metal Tape. If not, theres your problem. I double protected mine by going to home depot and purchasing a sheet of stainless steel and cutting it to size around the opening and then sealing it with the metal tape. Now my unit is a cold as the refrigerator in a 100 degree day out in the open.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCutcheon View Post
Jeff is absolutely right. I have both had this problem and have known many folks that have. I learned from my dealer during a roof replacement, that many Keystone trailers come out of the factory with the AC not properly taped off and a lot of the cold air bleeds into the ceiling. If you take off the inside cover (Facing the Interior) of the AC unit, Look to see if the installer sealed all of the edges (Except the duct) with Metal Tape. If not, theres your problem. I double protected mine by going to home depot and purchasing a sheet of stainless steel and cutting it to size around the opening and then sealing it with the metal tape. Now my unit is a cold as the refrigerator in a 100 degree day out in the open.
thanks for the tip....I will check in to this next time I bring back from storage.
great forum
Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Chain-dog

If you find that you do have air leaking into your ceiling, head to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a roll of aluminum ducting tape with the paper backing that covers the adhesive. Conventional cloth duck tape or even fabric duct tape will not hold in the cold, sometimes wet (from condensation) environment of the air conditioning ducts. When the duck tape fails, the adhesive left behind is a mess and you'll never get a good quality tape to stick to the ductwork after that.

Use the right equipment the first time and you'll be fine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Chain-dog

If you find that you do have air leaking into your ceiling, head to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a roll of aluminum ducting tape with the paper backing that covers the adhesive. Conventional cloth duck tape or even fabric duct tape will not hold in the cold, sometimes wet (from condensation) environment of the air conditioning ducts. When the duck tape fails, the adhesive left behind is a mess and you'll never get a good quality tape to stick to the ductwork after that.

Use the right equipment the first time and you'll be fine.
will do ! Thanks for all the tips you guys rock
Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
hankaye

chain dog, Howdy;

If you still think you need another A/C
read this e-how aticle to see if you have
enough BTU's, to many, or just enough...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4883462_calc...ize-house.html

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
chain dog, Howdy;

If you still think you need another A/C
read this e-how aticle to see if you have
enough BTU's, to many, or just enough...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4883462_calc...ize-house.html

hankaye
Thank you.....I will check that out
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
hoser43

Post from last year

Took everyone's advice. Took all duct vents apart and retaped them. Some where worse than others. Installed dense foam, type used to wrap pipes, into duct work at end of runs to block airflow from running to the ends of smashed and taped up duct work from factory. Took cover off the A/C inside unit and used liberal amounts of duct tape to seal everything up in there. This is where most of the problem was. Man what a difference !!! I can turn on the A/C in 90 deg. heat and in 5 mins. camper is down to 70 degs. !!! Going to replace air vents next with a directional flow type that can be throttled to push air where I want it to go. Thanks again to all before me that has figured out these problems.
2010 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4X4
2005 Ultra Classic
hoser43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser43 View Post
Took everyone's advice. Took all duct vents apart and retaped them. Some where worse than others. Installed dense foam, type used to wrap pipes, into duct work at end of runs to block airflow from running to the ends of smashed and taped up duct work from factory. Took cover off the A/C inside unit and used liberal amounts of duct tape to seal everything up in there. This is where most of the problem was. Man what a difference !!! I can turn on the A/C in 90 deg. heat and in 5 mins. camper is down to 70 degs. !!! Going to replace air vents next with a directional flow type that can be throttled to push air where I want it to go. Thanks again to all before me that has figured out these problems.
I've been so busy at work, I have not had time. But thanks for the results, I think I have 8 supply ducks to inspect and seal, and the units them selfs
Old 12-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Chain Dogg--
Sorry, I can't resist ...........What's with the ducks? How do you seal a duck?

Gotta go and get quackin'.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
LZScout

Believe it or not, the "grey duck" type of tape is not to be used on duct work. It won't last plus it's not fire rated. Instead use the metallic tape that's made for duct work. It can be found at any home improvement store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Chain Dogg--

Your Kiilin me Festus !!! ducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZScout View Post
Believe it or not, the "grey duck" type of tape is not to be used on duct work. It won't last plus it's not fire rated. Instead use the metallic tape that's made for duct work. It can be found at any home improvement store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up the Aluminum tape today, i should have this project complete by Febuary.....Hahah

Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
mecfd67

. Kind of looks like he has a whole new dance move. The duck tape dance
mecfd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
chain_dogg

OK......Im a little slow. But i got to it today. What you all said was a problem. I got the A/C Wrap, and did every duct, Some of them i could stick my finger in at the location where the duct is meeting the vent. Lots of gaps. Thank's to all for the great advice !!

I also took the heat return grill off, and found the duct that feeds the bedroom was half way off the furnace, and took care of that, along with Pinchng off the vent that feeds the storage compartment outside. Picture of the heater vent below. Thanks again. And for you fuzion owners looking for fuses you cant find, there is one behind the Breaker panel that i can see thru the return vent..........im asuming you have to remove the hole breaker panel (slide it out) to get to it. Bad location, and i have no idea what it feeds.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Bob Landry

Quote:
Chain Dogg--

And when you finish,you can treat yourself to a snack of quackers and milk.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
And when you finish,you can treat yourself to a snack of quackers and milk.
I Wuv Krackers !

Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Chain Dogg--

chain dogg -
Soooooo.... that's how you seal a duck . Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

HURRY UP SPRING

methinks somebody is getting a little bit of cabin fever !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote