Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Jay D

awning help

Hello all,

I have 2010 Sprinter 299bhs. We went out this weekend and when we where packing up today dw went to close the electric awning and it only clicked. So I tried it in/out and the motor just clicks, no movement either way. I found 2 screws on the end cap towards the front of the tt so I took them out and was able to close it for the ride home. Not sure if that's what the screws are for but it worked. What is the best way to see if it's the motor? If it is the motor is it just the motor or do I need to change the whole awning? Thanks Jay
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
jdoug

We have a 2010 318FLS and the 3rd time of extending our awning, it would not retract. We had nothing, not even your clicking. We were fortunate that it happened at home so we did not have to retract as long as the wind was calm.

Called Dometic and found out that the awning was still under full warranty and just had to contact our local service center which is fortunately only a couple of miles away from home. Because we do not tow our rig (live in it full time), they came out and checked it out on site. Determined that the motor was bad just by checking electrical was getting to the motor. Took about a week for new motor to arrive and then two guys came out and changed it. One to hold the tube while the other did all the other work. The tube was knocked out of the holder by removing the screws you mentioned and the rivets drilled out. Then the motor just slid out of the tube, new one pushed in and the rivets replaced and screws put in. It worked!

Be prepared if you are not under warranty, Dometic quoted me $300 for the motor! Warranty on motor was two years parts and labor, 3 years parts only so check your purchase date. We got lucky as ours was purchased in July of 2010.

If I was not in a wheelchair, and I had the help of another person, I believe I could replace the motor myself now that I've seen it done, not a big job.

Doug

Good luck.
jdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Jay D

Thanks jdoug for the reply,

mine is past the date I am going to take it apart this weekend and see what I can do. I found a motor on-line, I just need to open the awning and get the #'s which I believe is on the tube.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Halibutman214

It might be worthwhile to do a search for awning motors. I had the Yamaha Outboard tilt/trim motor go out on my boat and while I don't recall the price for a new one from Yamaha (it was a lot) I found an after market motor for $60. As it turned out it was the exact same motor made in the same plant as the factory motors but I guess the cost for painting "Yamaha" on it tripled the price. You may save a few bucks.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Jay D

That's what I have been looking for, I'm always in for saving a buck or 2. I just need to roll out the awning and get the part # off it.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Roberson4

Did anyone ever find a 'cheap' place to buy awning motors?

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote