Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Charli

Tonneau Cover

I am looking to get a tonneau cover for our truck. Had a Retraxx roll back with previous truck which we used to pull a bumper pull trailer. Have now switched to 3/4 T and 5th wheel and am considering one of the foldback style covers. We keep our tote in the truck box between the back of the cab and the front of the 5th wheel hitch. My concern with the roll back type is that the canister will interfere with the storage of the tote and reduce box storage in general.
I would appreciate any suggestions, specifically how well the fold back style would work in the folded back positon while driving at hwy speeds. Keeping items secure and under cover from weather when not towing 5er is main reason for wanting to get the cover. Any preferences as to makes,etc.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
richf28

I have this one on my truck. (Bakflip). Easy install with no drilling, Easy off when needed. Very durable and easy. I have had mine a year now and it still looks ans works like new. Never had a drop of water in my bed. I had inquiries at campgrounds and other places I've been so I printed some flyers of their website to give people. NO I don't work for them.

http://www.bakliner.com/bakflip/fold...eaucovers.html

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
Mopar madman

I have had a trifecta for 5 years and still love mine. I would buy another one if I had to.

Jeff & Theresa Barsotti

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab Laramie SLT
2011 Keystone Laredo 265 RL
Mopar madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I wasn't real sure how much I'd use a tonneau cover while towing, but wanted one that I could leave on the truck so it was available when we unhitched. We didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I looked at and finally bought a "TONNO-PRO" cover. Lifetime guarantee, free shipping, and about half the price of the "name brand" covers. Installation is easy, 2 clamps in front and then 2 levers in back secure it. We've had no leakage and it fits pretty well. It does the main job we wanted, folds for towing and secures the bed (out of sight) when not towing. After 3 years it still looks new and no problems at all.

Ours was $229 3 years ago but they are up to $269 now.

I'm not sure which bed length you have, so I looked up the 8' bed. Here's the link to one of the retailers, I don't remember who we bought from, but with free shipping and all of them the same price, not sure if it really matters.

http://www.realtruck.com/tonnopro-tr...008Y790MA.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Harley76

^ +100 on the trifecta. This is a great cover. I have an F250 with a 6.75' bed and can haul the 5er with it still attached, just fold and go. It won't stop a thief but it will keep prying eyes out of your truck bed at the campgrounds.

http://extang.com/docs/trifecta.html
Harley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
reubenray

Extang Solid Fold

I have the extang solid fold and kept it on when we did our maiden trip. It worked fine with the fifth wheel and had no issues with it while turning. But I will not keep it on for any future trips. I could not see the hitch when connecting and unconnecting. This made me have to keep getting out several times while hooking up. My wife is too short to see over the sides of the truck to line me up and I did not want her between my tailgate and the fiver.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
fishin technician

I've had bakflips on my last 2 vehicles. I don't pull a fiver though. As mentioned above, stays dry, looks good, functions perfectly. The only downside to me, when folded up, is it completely blocks your view through the rear-view mirror. It's pretty easy to remove the entire cover if neccessary.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The Tonno-pro is a tri-fold cover that folds to sit on the front section of the bed. It is, as rubenray said, hard to see the fifth wheel hitch with the cover folded in place, but it actually sits no higher than a cross bed tool box when stowed. I've seen some that are folded vertically and completely block the rear view when the bed is open, some that roll up and are invisible, but actually are stowed in a box that takes up a portion of the bed space, still others that slide under the front section and don't interfere with seeing the hitch. Pretty much a personal choice, well and a financial one as well. Some tonneau covers are upwards of $1500. Just depends on how deep your pockets are and what you're looking to do by covering your bed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
seahunter

Truxedo

I have a TruXedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover. Easy installation, no drilling. Good fit, easy to use. Lifetime warranty. My first cover so nothing to compare it to, but I sure like it.

2013 Montana 3750FL

Level-Up, Dual Pane Windows, King Bed, 12' Refrigerator, 2nd A/C, Onan Generator, Central Vacuum, Electric Fireplace, Progressive EMS-HW50C, and Goodyear G614s.

2012 F-350

Crew Cab, DRW, 4X4, Autumn Red, Lariat Interior Package, Diesel, Camper Pkg, HD Alternator, Rapid-Heat Cab Heater, Engine Block Heater, Tough Bed bedliner, Reese Elite 25K, Skid Plate Package, TruXedo Lo Pro QT, RVND 7710 GPS, and TST TPMS.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote