Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
Jmckaycr

Needing tonneau cover?? Fifth wheel & toolbox

I’m in search of a hard tonneau cover that folds. Wanting to put a below the rail tool box in the bed against the cab. Also one that can fold up to use fifth wheel hitch without having to remove completely. So accessibility to the tool box and leaving attached are required. I have came across a bakflip mx4 but I’m not sure I’ll be able to open tool box lid. Any suggestions are welcomed. I am currently waiting for a gmc cc sb 3500. Thank you in advance.
Jmckaycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
Texas Steve

I put a Gator EFX Hard cover on my truck and love it. It opens all the way to the rear window or each section locks into place so you can open what you want.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
Jmckaycr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
I put a Gator EFX Hard cover on my truck and love it. It opens all the way to the rear window or each section locks into place so you can open what you want.
You can fold up two spots or so and hook up to fifth wheel? Thanks
Old 01-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I think you're going to have an issue finding a hard, folding tonneau cover that folds up (to hitch a fifth wheel) AND lifts up (to open a below the rail tool box)

I have a Tonno-Pro folding hard cover. It folds up to easily hitch the fifth wheel. We always leave it in place when towing and it isn't so thick that the folded cover interfers with towing. BUT: the cover attaches with "screw clamps" under the bed rail. No way to fold it up to open a tool box under the cover.

There are some covers that when unfolded and covering the entire bed, the front section folds "back toward the rear" giving access to the tool box. AND, when folded fully open, fold up toward the rear truck window, to give access to the tool box.. BUT: even when that type cover is used AND a trailer is connected, the front cap of the fifth wheel would prevent being able to lift the cover to vertical....

I don't know of any folding tonneau cover that could stay in place with a fifth wheel hitched to the truck AND still fold forward or back to access the tool box without unhitching. With some, you can "lift the cover a little to sneak into the tool box" but I haven't seen any with "full access when a fifth wheel is hitched".....

If you find one, please post the brand. I'd be interested in checking it out, not for a tool box, but so I could access the generators and the blue tank in front of the hitch without removing the tonneau cover.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #5
Texas Steve

Sorry, missed the part about the 5th wheel hitch. I have a bumper pull but still think the cover would work for your application.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

We had a Retrax cover on our last truck and found it attractive and versatile. We have a TonneauPro tri-fold cover on our current set-up and like that as well.

However, I don’t think you will find a decent/secure folding or retractable hard cover that will allow you to access a below the rail toolbox up against the cab, since that tends to be the least accessed/used space in a pickup bed and where any model I have seen folds or retracts to. Please report back if you find one that works for what you described!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I have a BakFlip bed cover - 4 sections, supports 400lbs. I believe they now call it the MX4. While towing I run with it partially opened so the 5th sits on the hitch which leaves an area up front "semi" protected from the elements. If you have an in bed aftermarket tool box it won't let you open the lid all the way BUT Bakflip also makes a tool box that goes under the front section of the cover. I bought one to go under mine.

I don't recall the weight limit of the tool box I doubt it is in the "hundreds" of pounds. It does however carry a substantial amount of "must haves" plus it will slide along the rails it sits on. It's obviously removeable if you don't need it; mine is in one of the barns since I use all the front bed space when traveling. It's just an option but might be of benefit to someone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
M&M2

I have the bakflip mx4 on RAM 3500 8’ with B&W Companion hitch. It works great with no interference. I have carried a generator under the front section down while towing. The last section hinge is 8” from the front and does allow it to and prop up against back of the cab. It’s likely that tool box stored there could be opened in that position.

I looked through my pictures and don’t see anything that would clearly show the options.
M&M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:37 PM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Jmckaycr,
I have a Sentry-Tuxedo.com roll up cover. Some of the roll ups have been noted as cheap but this brand is very durable and good quality. The tracks attach to the rails and the finish is flush with the fender height. It rolls up easy and is secured for the fifth wheel connection and rolls back flat when not towing. The only concession you may have to make would be maybe moving the tool box forward a bit to accommodate for the cover against the cab when rolled up.
I really like that I can have things in the bed of the truck out of the weather and out of sight of the "legally challenged". I even rigged up a cable that attaches to the cover and truck bed to prevent roll up unless the tailgate is open. I will add I have a short bed 3500 Ram and my Champion generator fits under this cover.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M2 View Post
I have the bakflip mx4 on RAM 3500 8’ with B&W Companion hitch. It works great with no interference. I have carried a generator under the front section down while towing. The last section hinge is 8” from the front and does allow it to and prop up against back of the cab. It’s likely that tool box stored there could be opened in that position.

I looked through my pictures and don’t see anything that would clearly show the options.
Reference the part in red, can you fold up the cover against the rear truck window when the trailer is hitched in the bed of the truck??? That's been my biggest hurdle, trying to find a "folding cover that lifts when the trailer is attached" ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
M&M2

I don’t recall trying that. If you haven’t figured it out by the weekend, I’ll hook it up and get some pics for you.
M&M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:34 PM   #12
Jmckaycr

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M2 View Post
I don’t recall trying that. If you haven’t figured it out by the weekend, I’ll hook it up and get some pics for you.
Pics would be great! Thanks
Old 01-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
jasin1

Found this on you…tube
Old 01-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #14
dutchmensport

We have BakFlips on both of our trucks and both allow access to everything. The Colorado truck cover has 3 fold, the 3500 Dually Silverado (long bed) has 4 folds.

Both covers will allow the cover to be folded up and the section closes to the cab can be strapped down so it won't blow in the wind. Or it can be flipped completely up and secured so the entire bed of the truck is open.

I don't carry tool boxes, but I do carry a bunch of other stuff:

The Dually with 3 sections folded over the 4th.

Folded twice over the hitch:

Cover completely closed:

Th Chevy Colorado (3 fold):

What hold the cover on?

Opened all the way. Supports are there to hold it open and not blow down when driving. Downside: You can't use the windshield rear view mirror.

Two panels open:

All panels shut:

On both truck, the cover is very sold, very secure. They both snap down and have pull releases on each panel. If your tail gate has a lock, and it's locked, you can't open these if all the panels are shut.

We've had great success with our. They were everything we wanted, and absolutely no disappointments. Both trucks have survived with 2 feet of snow drifts on the top of them also.

We had ours installed though Auto Outfitters in Noblesville, Indiana for the Dually and in Anderson, Indiana for the Colorado.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:09 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

The question, at least for me, is, in that video, at the 2:02 mark, when he's folding the cover toward the truck rear window, if a fifth wheel were hitched, will the cover clear the front cap on the fifth wheel ?????

Lots of covers available that do what he's demonstrating, but hitch a fifth wheel and will it still fold up to the rear window of the truck ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #16
Jmckaycr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The question, at least for me, is, in that video, at the 2:02 mark, when he's folding the cover toward the truck rear window, if a fifth wheel were hitched, will the cover clear the front cap on the fifth wheel ?????

Lots of covers available that do what he's demonstrating, but hitch a fifth wheel and will it still fold up to the rear window of the truck ?????
Great question! I would like to know also with a short bed. Dutchmensport has a long bed with the pics. Thanks
Old 01-03-2022, 05:23 PM   #17
Jmckaycr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
We have BakFlips on both of our trucks and both allow access to everything. The Colorado truck cover has 3 fold, the 3500 Dually Silverado (long bed) has 4 folds.

Both covers will allow the cover to be folded up and the section closes to the cab can be strapped down so it won't blow in the wind. Or it can be flipped completely up and secured so the entire bed of the truck is open.

I don't carry tool boxes, but I do carry a bunch of other stuff:

The Dually with 3 sections folded over the 4th.

Folded twice over the hitch:

Cover completely closed:

Th Chevy Colorado (3 fold):

What hold the cover on?

Opened all the way. Supports are there to hold it open and not blow down when driving. Downside: You can't use the windshield rear view mirror.

Two panels open:

All panels shut:

On both truck, the cover is very sold, very secure. They both snap down and have pull releases on each panel. If your tail gate has a lock, and it's locked, you can't open these if all the panels are shut.

We've had great success with our. They were everything we wanted, and absolutely no disappointments. Both trucks have survived with 2 feet of snow drifts on the top of them also.

We had ours installed though Auto Outfitters in Noblesville, Indiana for the Dually and in Anderson, Indiana for the Colorado.
Thanks for the pics. I appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:26 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

At the mark where there last section is still flat (where I travel), before you try to flip it up, the hitch is a good ways back from the edge of the cover. My pin extends several inches in front of the front edge of the cap. I've not had to flip that last section but have no doubt it would flip up just fine since the front of the cap is behind the edge of the cover that needs to lift.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #19
dutchmensport

Quote:

The answer is "Yes." On the long bed (4 fold) there is plenty of room. I travel with the 3 sections folded over the 4th laying down, not up against the window. That blocks the window. The hitch has complete access and the 4th panel can easily be lifted up without interference from the hitch or the trailer. At least in mine, which is a long bed, has no issues at all.

The only down side with this cover, when it's folded over (3 times), the folded panels stacked on top of each other are tall enough, I cannot see the fifth wheel hitch out the back window. But, I also have a crew cab, and the cover (folded) is just high enough, that no matter what I do, I cannot see the hitch. That's why that mirror on the fifth wheel front works so well for me.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:41 PM   #20
Jmckaycr

Any short beds out there??

Tags
cover, fifth wheel