Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
hitchikerman

discount fuel CC

Does anyone have a discount credit card to save on fuel. I was wondering if places like Flying J and Pilot CC fuel programs are worth the time and do you really get the discounts that they claim?
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
Does anyone have a discount credit card to save on fuel. I was wondering if places like Flying J and Pilot CC fuel programs are worth the time and do you really get the discounts that they claim?

most of these 'loyalty cards' are in the 3 cent range, sometimes as much as 5. I think pilot/fly-j and good sams is worth up to 8, but the cost to be anywhere near good sams is generally not worth the effort. i got a storage bin in the car full of them and at times it aint worth the effort to find em...

now if you have a local food store that has gas points (like giant eagle, martins, giant, kroger etc) that can work out as you can build points way up (I myself am cashing in $1.90 per gallon off, up to 30 gallons this afternoon) but it oft has a strict gallon limit and no double pumping. using gas points earned by just buying food and gift cards, earlier this summer I paid 9.9 cents per gallon, 30 gallons, of premium into the boat. *that* was fun.
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
Hblick48

Get a TSD Logistics card. Saves $.30+ per gallon at Loves, TA.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
notanlines

We also have the TDS card and have reasonable luck with it. Keep in mind you will probably be required to drive through the diesel lane, and most of their discounts are at major interstate truck stops. Remember those truckers are not paying anywhere near the price on that sign. Most are on major trucking company cards and their bill is paid by the home office. If you are buying through the home office of the corporation. Schneider and J B Hunt aren't paying near what Bill and Bob's Tri-state Cartage pay.
TDS is a large company that negotiates the discount based on their volume of fuel purchased.
I don't get on here and sing their praises because not everybody wants to sign on for that type of program. I can take it or leave it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
JDDilly

I also have the TDS card. It has worked great and has saved me some dollars. Some people don't like it because they require your SS number. They reason is, they are extending you credit and need that if a person skips out on their payment. You also have to connect the TDS card to an account so they can do an electronic funds transfer a few days after using the card.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
bobbecky

I was hesitant about getting the TDS card at first, but have had it for several months now and it saves a substantial amount on each fill-up. I have yet to have the trailer in tow, but have gone through the truck lanes with just the truck and the process is really pretty simple, and you don't have to go inside to get fuel, just insert your card, push the buttons answering the questions, enter your pin, and add fuel. You can also get DEF at the same time if you need it.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #7
revrusty

another option if you are hesitant about the TSD card is to get a credit card that pays cash back on fuel. We often use a duck's unlimited visa that pays 5% cash back on all fuel purchases. You can use that after using a loyalty card like pilot or good sam. So 3 to 8 cents off the price and then 5% of the sale back to you. Can't hook that to the TSD, though.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
Course, it helps if you let us know what fuel you use!

The TSD card is the best deal by far, but it's diesel only.

The best deal for gas is the Good Sam discount at Pilot. Might be for lifetime members only, I forget.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:19 AM   #9
RickV

I have the TSD Card and it "Can" save you some $$$ but not always, sometimes even after the discount it is still about the same price as regular stations. I have a Sam's Club Mastercard that gives me 5% cashback on "Any Type" of fuel purchase. It used to cost me about $100 in diesel every time we moved from one CG to another now it is even more, so I do my homework when moving to a new location to maximize my fuel savings.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:44 AM   #10
Texas Steve

Walmart's Murphy gas stations have a rewards program that gives you $.10 off per gallon also. They do have a 20 gallon limit, but you can double pump and use you points again.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
ChuckS

WE don't fill our truck at diesel truck stops.. Our Alpine isn't that long at 34 feet so using a normal gas station isn't an issue.

I am not fond of linking any card directly to my bank account.. old school I guess.

We carry a Good Sams CC and use it for all fuel purchases.. Balance paid in full when bill received.. carry no balance.. The CC gives us protection at the fuel pump., I will not use our Debit card at any fuel pump .. too easy to get hacked.. and its easier then you think folks..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Walmart's Murphy gas stations have a rewards program that gives you $.10 off per gallon also. They do have a 20 gallon limit, but you can double pump and use you points again.
The issue with the majority of Murphy/Walmart stations in my area is they are not RV friendly, small areas that you must circle to exit or back out of.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #13
Texas Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The issue with the majority of Murphy/Walmart stations in my area is they are not RV friendly, small areas that you must circle to exit or back out of.
I agree with the access at Murphy. We mostly use them when unhooked from the TT otherwise its larger fuel stations while on the road.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:27 AM   #14
ObiRich

If you have a diesel, get a TSD card.
Gasbuddy has a payment card good for gas or diesel. But their normal 5 cent a gallon discount is less than the cash back I get on my credit card with prices at their current levels.
Good Sam card is good for 5 cents on gas and 8 cents on diesel at Pilot/Flying J.
If you travel in the west a lot, the Maverik Nitro offers 6 cents off, and more and more of Maveriks are RV friendly.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:45 AM   #15
andy15911

Best program I have found is at Sinclair using their DINOPAY program. .20 off per gallon if you have a ach connection to them.
andy15911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
larryflew

Ditto on the TSD with some local quirks. They added Kwik Trip (not the same as southern Quik Trip or any other spelling) but almost a year later the pumps still don't recognize the card so you have to select pay inside and go into the store for the 10 cent savings for them. Otherwise we typically use it when going south for the winter and works great through truck lanes.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:01 AM   #17
Bandit12

I have TSD card but have yet to use it. First, there are no "in network" service stations near my home. Second, I compare the TSD prices on the app to what I can find on gas buddy and I have found some less expensive than the TSD pricing. That said, we're traveling cross country and back next summer with the trailer and I'll probably make better use of of it.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:07 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy15911 View Post
Best program I have found is at Sinclair using their DINOPAY program. .20 off per gallon if you have a ach connection to them.
I can't remember seeing a Sinclair station out here since the 1970's.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
Mike Salois

I have a Conoco/Phillips 66 card and if you use their fuel app,you save 25 cents a gallon instantly, gas or diesel. They have a different promotion every 3 months concerning discounts, it's been as high as 35 cents a gallon down to 15 cents a gallon. Pretty straightforward, no gimmicks or anything.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:16 AM   #20
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I can't remember seeing a Sinclair station out here since the 1970's.
On our trip to South Dakota this summer, the lowest price I paid for diesel was at a Sinclair near Casper WY, $3.23/gal. The highest price I paid was at a Sinclair Elko NY, $4.19/gal. Current lowest price in our home town is $4.58/gal.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel