Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2021, 06:28 AM   #21
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That's a battery disconnect
I'll disconnect from shore power when i get back, push the inverter button and check it out
Old 10-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
I'll disconnect from shore power when i get back, push the inverter button and check it out
Here's the manual https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...10R-Manual.pdf
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
You also need to understand that the battery disconnect switch shown does not/will not completely disconnect all parasitic drains on your batteries. If you're putting the RV in storage disconnecting the negative cables going directly to ground on both the fridge battery & the coach batteries is the only sure total disconnect, otherwise you'll have dead batteries in as little a a week depending on battery conditions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You also need to understand that the battery disconnect switch shown does not/will not completely disconnect all parasitic drains on your batteries. If you're putting the RV in storage disconnecting the negative cables going directly to ground on both the fridge battery & the coach batteries is the only sure total disconnect, otherwise you'll have dead batteries in as little a a week depending on battery conditions.
As a Note... The battery disconnect for my inverter as installed by the factory, is for the inverter ONLY and does completely disconnect the battery from any parasitic drain; unless it is one of the new fangled ones that do.

You are however correct that the battery disconnect for the HOUSE battery will not remove all the parasitic drain.

The OP may are may not have the same configuration as on my 2020, although it seems that he does have the same inverter... The question is does his/her trailer have the two separate batteries.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:14 AM   #25
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
That's a battery disconnect

BTW... I called WFCO about leaving it on... They told me to turn it on and leave it on, unless I stored the trailer without power.. then cut it and the battery disconnect off
that was my next question about leaving it on, thanks!!!

got back late last night so didn't get to check it out. Going to get another battery so we can 2 hooked up!
Old 10-06-2021, 04:40 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

got back late last night so didn't get to check it out. Going to get another battery so we can 2 hooked up!
Earlier you posted that this is a "brand new rig". Check and see what battery the dealer installed. Typically they are small, low capacity "marine dual purpose" and not true deep cycle batteries. When using 2 batteries thry should be matched and new. In my opinion matching one inadequate battery with another one doesn’t get you much.

The other option is to replace the single 12v battery with two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. They will perform better and last for years if taken care of. They are easily available and cost under $100 each.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:03 AM   #27
Javi

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Earlier you posted that this is a "brand new rig". Check and see what battery the dealer installed. Typically they are small, low capacity "marine dual purpose" and not true deep cycle batteries. When using 2 batteries thry should be matched and new. In my opinion matching one inadequate battery with another one doesn’t get you much.

The other option is to replace the single 12v battery with two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. They will perform better and last for years if taken care of. They are easily available and cost under $100 each.
flyboy is correct, normally the dealers will install a marginally adequate battery for the house battery... usually a Series 24 dual purpose marine starting battery.

Before buying another battery you need to ask yourself whether you ever intend to dry camp (boondock). Or if you're like us, and you will never intentionally camp without full hookups, heck I won't even book a site that doesn't have 50 amps

If you are not going to boondock then I'd suggest two Series 27 marine deep cycle dual use batteries, one for the house and another strictly for the inverter.. Two of these will provide plenty of juice for someone who doesn't dry camp. The last two I bought were $89 each at Walmart.

I you are going to boondock, then flyboy's advice on the 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries is spot on and as many as you can fit in the trays and boxes. And you may want to invest in solar charging at a minimum.

As a last note... With an inverter I'm a little surprised that your dealer didn't provide two batteries..
Old 10-06-2021, 05:13 AM   #28
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

thanks for the heads up !!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:15 AM   #29
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
flyboy is correct, normally the dealers will install a marginally adequate battery for the house battery... usually a Series 24 dual purpose marine starting battery.

Before buying another battery you need to ask yourself whether you ever intend to dry camp (boondock). Or if you're like us, and you will never intentionally camp without full hookups, heck I won't even book a site that doesn't have 50 amps

If you are not going to boondock then I'd suggest two Series 27 marine deep cycle dual use batteries, one for the house and another strictly for the inverter.. Two of these will provide plenty of juice for someone who doesn't dry camp. The last two I bought were $89 each at Walmart.

I you are going to boondock, then flyboy's advice on the 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries is spot on and as many as you can fit in the trays and boxes. And you may want to invest in solar charging at a minimum.

As a last note... With an inverter I'm a little surprised that your dealer didn't provide two batteries..
we won't be doing much boondocking without a generator and a battery charger...Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #30
DavidAndDonna

is there an app for your phone for this inverter?

a fellow next to us had an app for his phone and could monitor his inverter.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:22 AM   #31
Javi

Quote:
is there an app for your phone for this inverter?

a fellow next to us had an app for his phone and could monitor his inverter.
Nope, no bluetooth in the inverter
Old 10-06-2021, 06:50 AM   #32
RickV

I can attest to the dealer slapping one group 24 battery in it. The salesman wrote it as two group 27 deep cycle batteries. When we did the walk through I asked about the two group 27's the walk through guy said he'd talk to the service people. We waited for about 45 minutes for them to bring the 5er up to the waiting area and I "assumed" they had swapped em. When I got home and looked there was still only the one group 24. I called the salesman and he said said that yes it was supposed to be two group 27 deep cycles, he talk to his manager and they gave em two options bring it in (a 1,5 hr. drive) or they'd send me a check for $300 I took option #2 and picked up two group 27 deep cycle batteries for $250.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #33
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

They just hoped you had forgot about it by the time you got home.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #34
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I can attest to the dealer slapping one group 24 battery in it. The salesman wrote it as two group 27 deep cycle batteries. When we did the walk through I asked about the two group 27's the walk through guy said he'd talk to the service people. We waited for about 45 minutes for them to bring the 5er up to the waiting area and I "assumed" they had swapped em. When I got home and looked there was still only the one group 24. I called the salesman and he said said that yes it was supposed to be two group 27 deep cycles, he talk to his manager and they gave em two options bring it in (a 1,5 hr. drive) or they'd send me a check for $300 I took option #2 and picked up two group 27 deep cycle batteries for $250.
appreciate the input!!!
thx
Old 10-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #35
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
cool, thx for the manual
Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #36
DavidAndDonna

unhooked shore power this morning, turned the remote / disconnect switch for the inverter and the frig worked.
We went ahead and purchased a 2nd battery however, looks like we've got it working. THANKS to all !!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: in the attached pic the disconnect / remote switch is in the "OFF" position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remote-switch-inverter.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	36259  
Old 10-06-2021, 12:56 PM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
unhooked shore power this morning, turned the remote / disconnect switch for the inverter and the frig worked.
We went ahead and purchased a 2nd battery however, looks like we've got it working. THANKS to all !!!!!!!!!!
Very nice!! Glad to hear you got it going.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #38
Javi

Quote:
Good deal 👌 glad you got it done
Old 10-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #39
jamtracy

Wow I cannot believe all of the new rigs and lousy Walk through as with customers.
This should definitely not be missed on a walk through.
Glad you got it all figured out.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #40
Captainf2

My Montana High Country is mounted under floor in pass through storage, visible from street sid compartment, and yes GFI was tripped on my first outing. Unplug from shore power, check refrigerator lights, check for activation switch, mine is on inverter no remote, reset GFI, Check refrigerator lights. Should be good to go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_122243.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	36340  
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter