Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
turbojimmy

Warped roof (exterior)?

Hi all. I looked at, and committed to buy, a 2015 Bullet 220RBI. It's in excellent shape inside and out. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the front cap being warped (wavy as you look at it across side-to-side) where it meets the roof. The owner says it's from the sun. He lives down by the Jersey Shore and it does sit there an roast all day long. You can barely see it from the ground but once I got up on a ladder it was more obvious. The seal across the top looks good and there's no evidence of damage to the roof. There's no sign of water damage inside the bedroom in that area. Do they just warp like that from the heat? Or is this a problem?

I should have taken a pic while I was there but unfortunately I did not.

Thanks!
turbojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
turbojimmy

So I took delivery of the 220RBI. Definitely a leak where the cap meets the roof. There's a spot in the corner ceiling of the bedroom that looks sketchy. It's not horrible but I saw it because I was looking for it. I bought it from the original owner and he said he never sealed it. He said he thought it was an every 8-10 year thing. I do mine annually so I dunno. I'll run a bead of Alpha 1021 or Dicor lap sealant up there.

It was a good deal and meticulously maintained otherwise so I can't complain.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as there isn’t any more damage it sounds like you scored.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:55 PM   #4
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As long as there isn’t any more damage it sounds like you scored.

Yeah it's perfect otherwise. The owner bought a big motorhome and needed the trailer gone. It was priced well under market and it was sort of local. Ironically I was downsizing from a motorhome. So it all just fell into place.

Really nice guy, took great care of it. It was his first hard side trailer (previously had a pop up) so I guess he didn't think to check the roof as part of his routine. He checked all of the other maintenance boxes though. It still has that new camper smell (love it or hate it).

Looking forward to new adventures with it.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Hopefully you got a good deal. A 6 year old trailer with a leaking roof (how long) could be a nightmare but hope it's all good.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Hopefully you got a good deal. A 6 year old trailer with a leaking roof (how long) could be a nightmare but hope it's all good.

Meh. The motorhome I'm selling is 37 years old. I bought it after it sat in a tow yard for 6 years without any maintenance. It had leaked at every mounting point for the roof rack, where the ladder attached in the back and where the fiberglass cap met the roof. Over a dozen places in all. Just took some time and effort to get it patched up. This one will be a piece of cake by comparison. It doesn't appear as if it has been leaking for very long and the area in question may not actually be a leak at all (but I suspect it is). Hard to tell.

Long story longer, I bought the motorhome 7 years ago from the son-in-law of the owner of the tow yard. It had a blown engine. The original owner didn't think it was worth saving and turned it over to the tow yard. I don't know what the deal was, but the seller made me promise to put it back on the road. I did.

In addition to fixing the leaks and cleaning 6 years of mold and mildew, I dropped a rebuilt 454 in it. I found a receipt in the glovebox for exhaust work and called the customer's phone number. The guy that answered was the son of the original owner. His dad had passed away years ago. He told me about all of the great memories he had in the rig.

It's been awesome and draws a crowd everywhere I go. But my kids are grown now and we wanted something smaller. I'm selling the motorhome back to the guy that sold it to me 7 years ago. He's really excited to get it back and I'm happy to have helped get the rig back on the road for his family to enjoy.

Long story even longer...I'm delivering the motorhome Saturday and will bring the Bullet to my house on Sunday. The Bullet is currently at my dad's house a few miles away. I've gone over there every night this week to tinker with it. We're very excited to get out in this thing.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:20 AM   #7
curtiscapk

Great story! We need pics of both!!!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #8
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post
Great story! We need pics of both!!!

Old and "new".

Old is a pic from NASCAR a few weeks ago at Pocono Raceway.

The "new" needs cleaned. He had it tucked way back in his yard and it was muddy. His truck spattered mud all over the front of it when he pulled out. Inside is like brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NASCAR 2021 RV.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	34698   Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet 2015.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	34699  
Old 07-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #9
curtiscapk

wow! Both are nice rigs!!!!!!!!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #10
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post
wow! Both are nice rigs!!!!!!!!

Thanks. The motorhome is just too old now for me to have any confidence in it. It's never let me down but it's really nerve wracking to drive.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
turbojimmy

So here is the spot in question. It looks like the vinyl has separated from the "wood" (or whatever is under there). That spot is no softer than any other spot in the ceiling. It has not affected inside the closet where presumably the water would travel due to gravity.

I inspected the roof where it meets the front cap and it looks like factory sealant and completely in tact.

Before I bought it I looked at it after 3 days of driving rain and it did not appear wet. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet_br_ceiling.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	34878  
Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

I wonder if the adhesive has failed. Try using a wet towel and a heat gun. Too much heat will wrinkle the paper so be careful, heat and wipe with damp towel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
CrazyCain

Quote:
I wonder if the adhesive has failed. Try using a wet towel and a heat gun. Too much heat will wrinkle the paper so be careful, heat and wipe with damp towel.

I had that happen in my trailer and did exactly what you said Chuck, works really well. I think it happens with the high humidity and stuff.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:29 AM   #14
turbojimmy

Quote:

Cool! I'll give that a try.

It was the original owner's first trailer. He said the first season he bought a cover for it. He told me NOT to do that - he tossed it after the first season because of the humidity that built up inside. Maybe that's what did it (like CrazyCain said).

It's the only spot that's doing that which is why I suspected a leak (and because it's right where the front cap meets the roof). But, again, there's no evidence of a leak. I'm paranoid so I ran out there to check on it this morning after last night's deluge and it's fine.

Tags
roof