Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
KevinGwin

7pin harness

Well, just when I thought I’d already made every mistake. I pulled away still connected to my electrical plug. The 7Pin stayed connected to my truck and tore from the wires in the junction box under the king pin. Not all wires are exact color matches. Anyone already have a thread on how to rewire this? Example…. Wire side has a black wire but the Trailer does not.
KevinGwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Trailer side black should be battery lead, white should be ground. If you go here:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-363.html

This should tell you what wires are what. The break away switch will be wired to the battery lead and the blue brake wire.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
KevinGwin

I guess I should state. The plug is fine… it’s the wire running into the junction box where it disconnected.
KevinGwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I got that, the link will show you what color wire in the umbilical cord does. Once you have the power and ground connected, you can figure out the rest.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

What Chuck is saying is that once you get the 12 volt positive (black wire in the umbilical cable) and the ground (white wire in the umbilical cable) identified and connected (look at which trailer wire goes to the battery positive terminal (12 VDC Positive) and which wire goes to a screw on the chassis (ground) and have them connected to the trailer wires in the junction box, then you can use that 12 volt power to "jumper to every other wire in the trailer junction box. Use a small wire connected to the "known 12 volt positive" and as you touch each wire in the junction box, identify which bulbs on the trailer illuminate. Then, connect that wire to the umbilical wire per the color code in the etrailer link that Chuck provided. As you connect each wire, move to the next and do the same. Once they are all connected, then plug the trailer umbilical into the truck and make sure the lights work with the truck power.

You'll need the trailer battery cutoff switch in the connected position to feed the trailer 12 volt power to the junction box for this procedure to work. If the BCO switch is disconnected, you won't have 12 volts on the junction box and this process won't work.....

Sounds complicated, but is really easy to do once you figure out which bulbs are lighting when you power each trailer wire in the junction box... Use the etrailer link to determine which color wire in the umbilical cord to connect to each trailer wire in the junction box.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote