Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
KnightRider

Purchasing a 2017 Raptor and have a few question

Just pulled the trigger (verbally so far) on a 2017 Raptor 355BH. The trailer is in great condition ... like new really. But I'm definitely interested in others experience with this unit. I'll be towing it with a 2020 F-350 PowerStroke. SRW CCLB so I'm at the edge weight wise but I think we'll be okay. I will add airbags if the hitch weight is a bit much.

Regarding hitches. I have a Reese hitch from my last 5th wheel that I towed with a 1995 F-350. So it's setup for the typical rails and I have the puck system in the bed now. If money were no object I'd probably go with the Andersen goose neck system as this hitch weighs a ton and is no fun to put in and out. But would like to leverage the hitch I have at least at first. I found this adapter from Reese that seems like it would do the trick but curious if anybody here has done the same on a late model Ford.

Reese Adapter 30156

Also interested in any feedback (or pointers to existing threads) on the Ford TPMS system, backup camera connection, brake controller, etc. I also have the little dial thing that they say you can calibrate to your trailer to back it up. A bit skeptical on that one but worth trying.

Sounds like I have more Ford questions than Keystone so far but interested in all info. thanks.
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well the adapter is like the one I got for our new to us 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, works great, just a tad on the heavy side. Before going with the Andersen take a look at a Reese Goose Box pin box, seeing how you feel you are likely close on weights.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
jasin1

I have the puck adaptor as well and I have a Reese hitch from my old truck..adaptor works great. You will probably have to adjust the hitch head lower because the adaptor is a couple inches high.
Also take the time and adjust the locking cams on the adaptor..mine were loose..really easy just pull the cotter pin and spin the end a turn or so until it doesn’t have any more then a 1/8” of play in the bed
Old 05-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
notanlines

That’s a lot of RV for that Raptor I’m afraid. You might want to put the pencil to weights of the RV, your hitch weight, etc. what is your cargo capacity from the door sticker? It should read “total weight of cargo and passengers should not exceed ....”. Or something similar.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
That’s a lot of RV for that Raptor I’m afraid. You might want to put the pencil to weights of the RV, your hitch weight, etc. what is your cargo capacity from the door sticker? It should read “total weight of cargo and passengers should not exceed ....”. Or something similar.

I think what the fella with no signature is trying to say is that a 17000 camper will have a pin weight just under 4000 lbs. Add hitch, passengers and stuff in the truck and payload becomes an issue quickly. My F350 has a 4K lb payload which I can read on the yellow/white sticker in the driver door frame. What is your payload? Don't want to see an unsafe situation. Good luck! wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #6
notanlines

Has no bearing on this thread, but where's my signature? I posted from my iPhone last night; that make a difference?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:57 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Has no bearing on this thread, but where's my signature? I posted from my iPhone last night; that make a difference?
I have found that if you use your phone like I do, when you log in you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap “view full website” otherwise your signature won’t won’t show when you post. I had that issue arise a few months ago.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
Just pulled the trigger (verbally so far) on a 2017 Raptor 355BH. The trailer is in great condition ... like new really. But I'm definitely interested in others experience with this unit. I'll be towing it with a 2020 F-350 PowerStroke. SRW CCLB so I'm at the edge weight wise but I think we'll be okay. I will add airbags if the hitch weight is a bit much.

Regarding hitches. I have a Reese hitch from my last 5th wheel that I towed with a 1995 F-350. So it's setup for the typical rails and I have the puck system in the bed now. If money were no object I'd probably go with the Andersen goose neck system as this hitch weighs a ton and is no fun to put in and out. But would like to leverage the hitch I have at least at first. I found this adapter from Reese that seems like it would do the trick but curious if anybody here has done the same on a late model Ford.

Reese Adapter 30156

Also interested in any feedback (or pointers to existing threads) on the Ford TPMS system, backup camera connection, brake controller, etc. I also have the little dial thing that they say you can calibrate to your trailer to back it up. A bit skeptical on that one but worth trying.

Sounds like I have more Ford questions than Keystone so far but interested in all info. thanks.
I'm not going to get into weights etc, but as far as the hitch goes, I had a RAM 3500 DRW that I installed a B&W turnover goose neck and then purchased their companion 20k hitch. I just recently purchased a new '21 F-350 DRW and it has the Ford OEM puck system. I purchased the B&W lower base for the puck system and reused my upper B&W swivel hitch head.

Where I'm going with this is that the new Ford puck system B&W lower is only about half the weight of my companion hitch, excluding the upper swivel head, which weighs in around 75#. The old companion was around 125# and the new Ford puck base is only around 80#. Okay, not half as light, but much easier for me to remove alone. I do really love the B&W hitches, they're very smooth and well built.

Good luck!
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
LewisB

Reese adapter (rail to puck) works just fine. Your example is a GOOD price. E-trailer wants $450 for the same thing.

Agree with comments on payload. Check out your yellow/white payload sticker. Note that toy haulers are different than normal 5ers because they are designed to have heavy weight aft of the trailer axles. My 2018 353TS Raptor with a 17K GVWR only has 2600# tongue weight WHEN THE CAN AM IS LOADED. I've never weighed the truck/trailer without the Can AM, but the factor dry tongue weight was advertised as 3200#.

If you have already purchased the trailer, load it down INCLUDING your toy(s) and CAT scale the rig - it's possible you might be OK. Keep an eye on trailer GVWR. With a dual axle (not triple), trailer axle weights can become an issue.

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
Big 417

That's just a little guy, max gvw of trailer is #17000, #3400 pin. Empty is #14500ish and #2600 pin.

As someone else stated, load er up and weigh it. Only way to know the real weights.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

OP hasn't been back since 5/20. Not much point in adding advice.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor