Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2021, 04:52 AM   #1
jasin1

Awning setup

First rv with a power awning, figured it’s self explanatory how to use it.
So just to be clear,is it best to tilt one end down that’s facing into the prevailing breeze? I see awnings with extreme tilted angles and some that are straight out.
Not sure if it’s better on the arms to be balanced.
I know with rain you pull down on one side to keep the water draining off.
Is it better or worse to put tent stakes down and ropes to secure it ?
I always close it when we leave but see many many awnings out with nobody around.
Also see the shades on the awnings so I’m pretty sure those people don’t close when they leave.
Of course when wind is in the forecast it’s should be closed
And yes I wonder about the most minor of things
Lastly this video showed up in my YouTube feed and wondering the groups thoughts.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:09 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

In rain we tilt it towards the rear to keep water pooling near the door at the front. If there is a wind, we either pull down the corner facing the wind to keep a lower profile and to prevent the sail effect, or just roll it in . I like the convenience of the power awning but there are trade-offs.

Our last camper had a manual awning with no gas struts and we would use ground screws and spring straps around the ends of the roller tube to keep it secure. This worked well even with the steady high winds on the Outer Banks.

Newer is not always better.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

My view on that video? You need to stop overthinking things and watching videos. Just kidding, but seriously, I've never heard of "pausing" the deployment and I call BS. At least for my awning. It doesn't deploy fast enough to create the issue he's proclaiming. When I open the truck cap window I "control the speed" not for the sake of the structs but rather so it doesn't "bang open" and stress the strut ends where the ball mounts. Same with the hood or any hatchback, or any other strut operated cover I've ever opened. As a matter of fact, I tend to open/close things like that faster than my awning motor does.

For tilt, tilt "in the wind" no. If it's that windy I close it. Wind will swirl and change direction and nothing tears up an awning like wind, unless it's a hail storm. If light to no wind I'll tilt one end down to shed water. The auto dump feature is a very violent occurrence and believe me their ain't no "pausing to let the struts catch their breath" when it happens. If it's raining and there's a chance of gusty winds then I'll leave the awning out but level. I'd rather go out and just bring down one side by hand to drain the accumulated water off periodically, or retract the awning enough to run the water off than try to go out in a whipping wind driving the rain sideways to release the awning arm. I'd rather stand inside and push the button and stay dry.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

That video has been posted here and discussed before. General consensus was pausing the awning movement is not needed. Depends on brand of awning to make one side lower than the other. I wouldn’t use stakes and rope to tie down an electric awning. It doesn’t matter if your awning is manual or electric, putting it away in windy conditions just makes sense. I had a manual awning on my previous trailer and loved it. Electric one now, and I will admit it’s so much easier to just press a button.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My view on that video? You need to stop overthinking things and watching videos. Just kidding, but seriously, I've never heard of "pausing" the deployment and I call BS. At least for my awning. It doesn't deploy fast enough to create the issue he's proclaiming. When I open the truck cap window I "control the speed" not for the sake of the structs but rather so it doesn't "bang open" and stress the strut ends where the ball mounts. Same with the hood or any hatchback, or any other strut operated cover I've ever opened. As a matter of fact, I tend to open/close things like that faster than my awning motor does.

For tilt, tilt "in the wind" no. If it's that windy I close it. Wind will swirl and change direction and nothing tears up an awning like wind, unless it's a hail storm. If light to no wind I'll tilt one end down to shed water. The auto dump feature is a very violent occurrence and believe me their ain't no "pausing to let the struts catch their breath" when it happens. If it's raining and there's a chance of gusty winds then I'll leave the awning out but level. I'd rather go out and just bring down one side by hand to drain the accumulated water off periodically, or retract the awning enough to run the water off than try to go out in a whipping wind driving the rain sideways to release the awning arm. I'd rather stand inside and push the button and stay dry.
Im hooked on YouTube....gotta monkey on my back
Now you bring up another question..if one arm is tilted ,should you straighten it back out before bringing it in? Pdi guy said don’t have I don’t have to..but you mentioned releasing the arm
I just bought a new guitar..gonna try and redirect my energy into learning to play
Old 04-24-2021, 06:04 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Now you bring up another question..if one arm is tilted ,should you straighten it back out before bringing it in? Pdi guy said don’t have I don’t have to..but you mentioned releasing the arm
There's probably a You tube video to help you with that. Absolutely release it and level it before moving the awning. You chance banding the arms otherwise.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:16 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I just bought a new guitar..gonna try and redirect my energy into learning to play
If its a SOLARA with the articulating arm, DO NOT straighten it out. If its a Dometic with the thumb screws release those before retracting.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

'Ol Josh. Don't know if he (or his dad) sell any RVs but he sure makes a lot of videos.

As far as the awning some thoughts;

Stop the awning to "rest" the struts because it wears them out if you don't? When is the last time you stopped midway closing the bed over the under bed storage to let the struts rest? Thought so, never. When have you stopped closing the back lift gate etc. on your SUV midway to let the struts "rest"? Never. The struts are made to open and close with pressure against them.

Now that said, I DO believe there are some issues with struts on RV awnings. We all know the care and perfection that they are constructed with and a lack of it CAN cause an issue with the struts IMO. I've not had an awning strut that needed to "rest" during compression - until this one. This one in fact DOES need to be rested as it compresses or it starts to make a terrible racket. Stop for a second or two, retract another couple of feet and rest. It will come on in if you don't but it is chattering and groaning. Lube works for about one cycle. If it's raining it does fine with everything soaked. The question is why. Is it the design of the strut or something else? IMO it's something else. The installation of the awning brackets on the trailer mandates that they are "square" with the end of the awning where the arms attach. If not the strut is not in a straight alignment between the frame on the trailer and the end of the awning putting it in a bind. That is the case with mine. To correct it the brackets on the trailer would have to be relocated and more holes drilled, I'll just pause every now and again.

Tilt into the wind? No. I've never been in a place where the wind blows constantly in one direction and never whips or changes direction. What might be "into the wind" this second could be acting like a parachute the next. Pull it in.

Pull it in for heavy rain as well. If it's alight rain or mist it stays out with one end tilted to aid runoff. Used to be the end away from the door but this trailer is so tall I cannot reach the awning bracket so I do it from the door. I don't use the "auto" tilt to dump water. And that is literally DUMP the water. First time it ever happened I thought a grenade went off in the living room (I was asleep). Thought it was a fluke so left it alone. Nope, that's the way they operate. By the time the water weight has built up enough to make the strut collapse the awning has a huge amount of weight on it. The occurrence is then loud, messy and damaging. The amount of weight allowed on the awning causes it to stretch holding it. Not a good idea IMO.

Awning straps go with the philosophy of retracting the awning in the wind. Awning straps (I have an almost brand new set used once) seem like a good idea but they enhance the chance of awning damage IMO. They should keep the awning from blowing up over the roof but do nothing if you get a downdraft when the wind is whipping. Plus, for some they are a sort of "set it and forget it" thing and they leave them there all the time. I've seen awnings that were set up that way with both ends of the awning ripped off the ends because they were never tended to and the constant buffeting they were subjected to.

Screens; I've got new ones for the front and end of the awning...used once. Once deployed you are stuck with having to remove them when the weather changes on a dime - which is constantly. Not worth the effort IMO. Some folks put them out and leave them, with the straps on the end, tilted or maybe not. I just don't do it. Just my thoughts on a Saturday morning.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #9
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If its a SOLARA with the articulating arm, DO NOT straighten it out. If its a Dometic with the thumb screws release those before retracting.
Thanks, Chuckster. You make me feel better with our new one. It’s a Solera, and we were told not to straighten the arm before retracting, but it made my bum pucker when I followed the directions and didn’t straighten it. I’m too used to the Cougar with the Dometic apparently.

Jasin, to help you on your YouTube withdrawal, I could send a bunch of hubby’s guitar parts to you (while not telling hubby!). You could learn to play (from books, not YouTube LOL) AND assemble your own guitar....

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Thanks, Chuckster. You make me feel better with our new one. It’s a Solera, and we were told not to straighten the arm before retracting, but it made my bum pucker when I followed the directions and didn’t straighten it. I’m too used to the Cougar with the Dometic apparently.

Jasin, to help you on your YouTube withdrawal, I could send a bunch of hubby’s guitar parts to you (while not telling hubby!). You could learn to play (from books, not YouTube LOL) AND assemble your own guitar....
Thanks for the guitar offer! I have my hands full learning this one for now
Took lessons when I was a kid and gave up. Have a little more determination now
And I’m not getting any younger so I thought...if not now then when???
Old 04-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #11
jasin1

Appreciate everyone’s input ..thanks!
Old 04-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #12
Bill-2020

Quote:
Thanks for the guitar offer! I have my hands full learning this one for now
Took lessons when I was a kid and gave up. Have a little more determination now
And I’m not getting any younger so I thought...if not now then when???
Four words... "Smoke On The Water"
Old 04-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Dont forget “Stairway to Heaven”

Old 04-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Dont forget “Stairway to Heaven”
I’ve heard that playing either one of those songs in a guitar shop can get you thrown out... but right now I’d be happy to play either

Tags
awning