Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Raven

Type of generator for air conditioner

I know that our Honda 2000 is not able to run our 11,500 btu air conditioner so have been looking at options 1. To buy another Honda 2000 to run in parallel with existing Honda 2. Install a soft start RV 3. Purchase an additional generator.
Our RV is stationary on our own property with no neighbors. With that in mind, could I run the AC with a construction like generator that is not an inverter type? Some of the dual fuel styles are interesting & the prices are good.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Any generator with enough power output will work..BUT the inverter types produce a “cleaner” and mor “stable” output.

IMO contractor gens are good to power drills, air compressors and things that don’t have electronic circuitry. I would just get an inverter type and chance the appliances in the trailer. YMMV

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Raven

Thanks for your input. That is the feedback we were looking for!
Old 04-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I know that our Honda 2000 is not able to run our 11,500 btu air conditioner so have been looking at options 1. To buy another Honda 2000 to run in parallel with existing Honda 2. Install a soft start RV 3. Purchase an additional generator.
Our RV is stationary on our own property with no neighbors. With that in mind, could I run the AC with a construction like generator that is not an inverter type? Some of the dual fuel styles are interesting & the prices are good.
Don't know about you, but with neighbors nearby or not I wouldn't want to listen to a construction type generator running just outside for extended periods. It would sound as if YOUR neighbor was mowing grass ALL DAY LONG.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
Vet4jdc

Quote:
I have the Honda 2000 and 2000 Companion and run them in parallel to run the AC on ours. So far it has worked flawlessly. I'm happy with the setup!
Old 04-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #6
Raven

I thought you could only run same brand in parallel. Thanks for letting me know about your setup
Old 04-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
dutchmensport

You know the limitations of your current equipment, and you know it is inferior for the task you need done. So, don't make a new future costly mistake that will leave you "a day late and a dollar short." Get a new generator, NOW that will power everything in your camper. Get a new generator, NOW that will power anything you may potentially have in the future.

Baby-stepping your way up the ladder will cost you much, much more over your future life than just getting the best, biggest, baddest, beefiest, most robust and energetic that is available right now, that will serve your current needs and all your anticipated (and un-anticipated) future needs. In the long run, it will save you a lot of money in the future. Plus, it will completely satisfy your current need.

What to do with the old generator? Use it at your house for power back up in the event of power outages. It will be more than sufficient to keep the refrigerator running, your freezer going, and enough to run your television and computers in the house. Beside, if you need to have portable power, doing work somewhere away from the house (somewhere on your property, where you need an electric drill, or an electric saw), you can toss the old one in the bed of the truck and have it available.

I have my preference of generators that works well for me and my needs. But, you need to find your own and has to be your decision. You need to decide first, if you are going to expand what you already have, or bite the bullet and get new and beefier first.

FYI... it took me 2 years to settle on a generator for my current Montana. And when I finally settled on them, my wife insisted on getting 2 of them, so they could run in parallel and have true 50 amp service for both air conditions. It was the right decision.... but it sure cost me at the time. Absolutely no regrets now for paying the price!
Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
Raven

Thanks for your very comprehensive & beneficial answer. I will probably end up going with a robust inverter generator. The summer forecast for Ontario, Canada is “hot!” Fans help but air would make life more comfortable.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
I have the Honda 2000 and 2000 Companion and run them in parallel to run the AC on ours. So far it has worked flawlessly. I'm happy with the setup!
Quote:
I thought you could only run same brand in parallel. Thanks for letting me know about your setup
Raven,

The Honda 2000 and the Honda Companion 2000 are the same brand. They are engineered to "compliment each other" when operated with the Honda parallel cable system....

You're right though, it's not a good idea to try to "rewire and connect different brands with a home made parallel cable".... Sometimes it will work well, sometimes it will work for a few minutes and sometimes it goes "POOF" as soon as you turn it on... Don't risk your generators with makeshift wiring systems....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #10
Raven

I re- read your post & thought it said “Champion 2000” instead of “Companion 2000”! Not enough coffee this morning!

Tags
air conditioner, generator