Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
richnuthouse

KeyTV and Weak Cable Signal

A search of these forums for KeyTV returns threads related to satellite signals and over the air issues. I couldn't find anything about the challenge of weak cable signals. This thread offers some learning on the topic.

Situation:
I hooked up at a new park with 116+ cable channels. Sadly, no channels showed up at TV when I scanned. Park maintenance came out and proved with a small TV and a 3' cable that there was indeed a signal at the pedestal and told me "you've got a problem." I confirmed that I could run cable in through windows bypassing KeyTV and indeed could get channels. I also scanned for OTA channels successfully. I explained all this to Keystone help. The tech suggested that I may have a bad KeyTV module and should get it replaced (even told me to try to go direct to manufacturer--clearly the tech did not know that Keystone is the sole distributor of KeyTV).

Solution:
Not knowing how KeyTV works, I theorized that it compares the signals between OTA and cable and assumes that the strongest signal is the intended signal. Consequently, a weak cable signal would be ignored or blocked by KeyTV. The local Home Depot sold an RCA digital signal amplifier (about $17). These are usually used to amplify antennae signals, but on a hunch I tried it inline between the pedestal and the KeyTV input for cable. IT worked like a charm! All the cable channels came through to the TV. The amplifier is now part of my RV gear.

Thought this might help others who may be advised to replace the KeyTV module when it is doing what it was designed to do (for better or for worse).
richnuthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:22 AM   #2
ChuckS

Just a bummer to see continued issues with Keystones "ingenious KeyTV" module... It is//IMO JUNK and has been junk since the day it was jammed onto new owners with NO support, dealerships that haven't been trained to address issues with the system, etc

Also OP... with the KeyTV you MUST have park RV coax cable removed from the KeyTV module if you want to receive OTA signals from your roof antenna... THis is in the KeyTV documentation....

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:17 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I do not have KeyTV but an observation on park cable systems. I have been in a few camsites where a television connected directly tto the cable outlet on the pedestall will a sufficiant signal but a signal that is to weak when sent throu the RV's cable splitters. Each splitter attenuates the signal. I carry a cable amplifier in my stuff and have used it a couple of times over the years.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:27 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnuthouse View Post
A search of these forums for KeyTV returns threads related to satellite signals and over the air issues. I couldn't find anything about the challenge of weak cable signals. This thread offers some learning on the topic.

Situation:
I hooked up at a new park with 116+ cable channels. Sadly, no channels showed up at TV when I scanned. Park maintenance came out and proved with a small TV and a 3' cable that there was indeed a signal at the pedestal and told me "you've got a problem." I confirmed that I could run cable in through windows bypassing KeyTV and indeed could get channels. I also scanned for OTA channels successfully. I explained all this to Keystone help. The tech suggested that I may have a bad KeyTV module and should get it replaced (even told me to try to go direct to manufacturer--clearly the tech did not know that Keystone is the sole distributor of KeyTV).

Solution:
Not knowing how KeyTV works, I theorized that it compares the signals between OTA and cable and assumes that the strongest signal is the intended signal. Consequently, a weak cable signal would be ignored or blocked by KeyTV. The local Home Depot sold an RCA digital signal amplifier (about $17). These are usually used to amplify antennae signals, but on a hunch I tried it inline between the pedestal and the KeyTV input for cable. IT worked like a charm! All the cable channels came through to the TV. The amplifier is now part of my RV gear.

Thought this might help others who may be advised to replace the KeyTV module when it is doing what it was designed to do (for better or for worse).
They are probably all about the same but do you have a link to the exact amplifier you used?
Old 04-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #5
richnuthouse

Link to digital signal amplifier used

Here's the link to the one I bought...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RCA-Univ...-303087513-_-N
richnuthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
jasin1

Thanks! Couldn’t hurt to throw one in the trailer with my other stuff

Tags
cable