Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
Jayro88

299BHS Electric Stabilizer Jacks quit

Hi all,
I purchased a Sprinter 299BHS last fall. Took it camping and everything worked as it should. I just uncovered it to start getting it ready for this season and neither of my electrical stabilizer jacks will work. I push the button on either the front or back and get absolutely nothing. They don’t make any noise at all. Seems like they are not getting power for some reason. All the other electrical systems work perfectly. I looked at the fuse panel in the camper and didn’t see one labeled for them. Since both front and back are completely unresponsive it makes me think it is a fuse of some kind. Before I break out my meter and start tracing wires I was hoping someone here might know where I should start looking. Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	32436

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	32437
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
Jayro88

Here is a pic of the camper for reference

Name:	IMG_3768_Original.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	32438
Old 03-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

See that circuit breaker in your first set of pics? start there, probably one for the rear jacks too in the back.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Look at your first post. In the second picture the red object that looks like a Lego is the auto resetting circuit breaker for the stabilizer. Take your meter leads or a test light and find a nearby clean ground and attach on lead. Remove the red rubber cap and check the two studs underneath. Both studs should have voltage. If only one has voltage replace the circuit breaker. If neither has voltage then check the battery/battery connections.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Jayro88

Thanks. I will start there. I did pull the cover off of one and it was full of mud etc. With both of them acting exactly the same I was wondering if there was a single fuse somewhere as well that would effect both of them. Gotta get it fixed since the first weekend out is the beginning of April.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Look at your first post. In the second picture the red object that looks like a Lego is the auto resetting circuit breaker for the stabilizer. Take your meter leads or a test light and find a nearby clean ground and attach on lead. Remove the red rubber cap and check the two studs underneath. Both studs should have voltage. If only one has voltage replace the circuit breaker. If neither has voltage then check the battery/battery connections.

As far as the battery/battery connections. The camper is plugged in and the systems work without a battery. I did think maybe I remembered wrong and installed the house battery. Still a no go, but all the other 12v stuff works.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
As far as the battery/battery connections. The camper is plugged in and the systems work without a battery. I did think maybe I remembered wrong and installed the house battery. Still a no go, but all the other 12v stuff works.
Can you clarify? Is the battery installed or not? You should not operate slides, tongue jacks, or stabilizers without a battery. They are high amperage loads that can damage the converter if operated without the battery.

If the battery is installed check it with a hydrometer. Having the battery load tested is even better. You say you just purchased the camper so do you know how hold the battery is or the condition of the battery?
Old 03-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If the battery has been removed and is/will be reinstalled, it's a common problem to connect the battery "in reverse". If you do that, even for an instant (one spark of the cable) you will blow the "reverse polarity fuses" on the converter/charger. That will remove/disconnect the battery from the trailer (through the converter/charger)....

Remember (you may already know this). If the battery cables are red/black, then red is POS and black is NEG. If the battery cables are white/black, then white is NEG and black is POS... NOTE: in one color scheme, the black is POS and in the other, the black is NEG... Easy to get confused and spend HOURS AND HOURS troubleshooting the two problem.s. First problem: The battery won't charge and second problem: the slides and stabilizers won't work when the battery dies.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #9
Jayro88

Thanks for all the feedback. The batteries are installed. They are a couple years old off of my old camper that this one replaced.

I will double check the connection and also unplug from shore power to make sure batteries are functioning correctly.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Check that battery negative cable also. It will go to the frame and that frame connection (typically a ring terminal secured with a self tapping bolt) and they are notorious for corroding.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
Jayro88

Got home and made sure battery connections were good. The slide and all other 12v works on just the battery. Just not the stabilizer jacks. I will have to start checking fuses.

I read that on other models there is an inline fuse for the power to the jacks. If I don’t have power at the switches I guess I am hunting for that.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I would check the circuit breaker first (easier to get to). If no power move towards the battery, if power is present thru the CB then move towards the motor. Maybe when you installed the batteries there was a separate cable for the stabilizers that didn't get connected.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
Jayro88

I checked the circuit beaker (lego thing) at each motor and no voltage at all. I also checked for voltage getting to the switches and there is none. This makes me think there is a breaker or fuse somewhere that had tripped/blown, but I can’t seem to locate it. The underneath of the camper is sealed. I wouldn’t think it would be under there, but who knows.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

look at the frame near the battery, there may be a number of those circuit breakers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #15
Jayro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
look at the frame near the battery, there may be a number of those circuit breakers.

Thanks. So I decided to double check my meter work. I do have power to the jacks. So I guess that would mean that it is the jack motors themselves. Or at least I hope. I am seeing a bit of a voltage drop. From the batteries to the jacks.

I also ohmed the breakers at the jacks and they are good
Old 03-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have 12+ VDC at the jack then yeah I would say the motor is bad.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #17
Jayro88

Is there usually a way to manually turn the jacks? I am wondering if that could free things up. I find it odd that both motors would go bad at the same time, but I guess stranger things have happened.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Try the instructions at this link, I think, if your jacks on both sides are tied to a single motor, you go to the opposite side and use the "manual crank" that came with your trailer to wind them up or down. If each of your jacks has a motor, then you'd need to remove the motor from the mount to access the motor coupling to attach the "manual crank".

Here's the link that should help: https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...pertManual.pdf

DON'T FORGET: DISCONNECT THE MOTOR BEFORE WORKING ON IT, IF IT ACTIVATES, IT COULD "EAT YOUR LUNCH" BEFORE YOU GET IT STOPPED !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Try the instructions at this link, I think, if your jacks on both sides are tied to a single motor, you go to the opposite side and use the "manual crank" that came with your trailer to wind them up or down. If each of your jacks has a motor, then you'd need to remove the motor from the mount to access the motor coupling to attach the "manual crank".

Here's the link that should help: https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...pertManual.pdf

DON'T FORGET: DISCONNECT THE MOTOR BEFORE WORKING ON IT, IF IT ACTIVATES, IT COULD "EAT YOUR LUNCH" BEFORE YOU GET IT STOPPED !!!!!
As long as they gave you the crank handle

Old 03-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

From your description I'm thinking when you raised them you held down the switch too long and mechanically bound the scew. It's easy to do on that style stabilizer. Crawl under there at take a good pair uif chanel locks (slip joint pliers) anjd see if you can work the coupler on the motor shaft to free it up.

Tags
jacks