Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #41
GoingPlaces

Looks like my question was for Tanglemoose, sorry.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:42 AM   #42
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Looks like my question was for Tanglemoose, sorry.
No problem! If you hit “quote” when you want to reply or ask about a specific post response,it will help know who your asking.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #43
MarkEHansen

Without a battery monitor, you can't really tell how much charge the batteries have. You can't just check their voltage - not without removing all load and letting them sit for an hour or so. A fully charged battery can read 12.2 if the load is high enough.

With a real shunt-based battery monitor, you remove all question.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #44
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
We finally picked up our new 2021 25 RBSWE with the factory installed Solar OTG package. Just thought I pass along the components they put in my rig.

It came with 2- 6 volt 70 AH batteries (Deka brand I believe), a 170 Watt solar panel, a Zamp 30 Amp solar battery charger, and a 2000 watt Xantrex power inverter.

I was happy to see that the inverter was 2000 watts; the brochure said the inverter could only be 1200 watts. I was able to upgrade the batteries to Trojan T-105 (225 AH) for short money

I have not had the opportunity to use the system yet, so I do not have a feel for how long it will last. The TV is powered via a receptacle fed from the Inverter. With the 2000 watt inverter, we can get a better coffee pot!
My East coast version 2020 Cougar 22RBS came with the 1200 W inverter. It is also mounted to the overhead of the pass through so it is impossible to read the display. I installed the remote control module on a panel I made to cover the access to the driver side bed cubby. Also mounted the remote monitor to the solar controller and a 12V power outlet. Setup makes it easy to control from inside the camper.

My salesman said he thought the OGP came with 2 batteries from the factory (which of course it didn't). After some heated discussion I left the dealership with 2 group 27 batteries at additional cost to me.

I've found with power to the inverter and the inverter off the parasitic draw is only about 0.02 amps. With the inverter on (and nothing plugged in) the draw is about 1.4 amps. So when boondocking I leave the power switch on to the inverter and then just turn on the inverter from the remote module when we need it. Your current draw will be more with the 2000 W unit.

We have an old Keurig that only draws about 5 amps so it works with our 1200 W inverter. But we usually use a small 860 W coffee maker that gives us 8-10 cups in the same amount of time and saves power.

My only regret with the setup is that we can't power the microwave for a quick bag of popcorn but after all it is supposed to be camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191219_151854.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	32667  
Old 03-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #45
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Without a battery monitor, you can't really tell how much charge the batteries have. You can't just check their voltage - not without removing all load and letting them sit for an hour or so. A fully charged battery can read 12.2 if the load is high enough.

With a real shunt-based battery monitor, you remove all question.
Got all the parts for that upgrade in house, now just waiting for our next trip to get the camper out of the storage lot. Still thinking about how to best run the lines to the display inside the camper.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #46
jasin1

Attachment 32669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
My East coast version 2020 Cougar 22RBS came with the 1200 W inverter. It is also mounted to the overhead of the pass through so it is impossible to read the display. I installed the remote control module on a panel I made to cover the access to the driver side bed cubby. Also mounted the remote monitor to the solar controller and a 12V power outlet. Setup makes it easy to control from inside the camper.

My salesman said he thought the OGP came with 2 batteries from the factory (which of course it didn't). After some heated discussion I left the dealership with 2 group 27 batteries at additional cost to me.

I've found with power to the inverter and the inverter off the parasitic draw is only about 0.02 amps. With the inverter on (and nothing plugged in) the draw is about 1.4 amps. So when boondocking I leave the power switch on to the inverter and then just turn on the inverter from the remote module when we need it. Your current draw will be more with the 2000 W unit.

We have an old Keurig that only draws about 5 amps so it works with our 1200 W inverter. But we usually use a small 860 W coffee maker that gives us 8-10 cups in the same amount of time and saves power.

My only regret with the setup is that we can't power the microwave for a quick bag of popcorn but after all it is supposed to be camping.
My keurig is 1500 watts I believe ..it kicked the inverter right off when I turned it on ...maybe have to look at it again..I have a smaller keurig I keep on my boat that may be less.. I put a junction box where the factory inverter location is and mounted mine on the front wall next to my 3.0 level keypad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40A6F3C9-D91C-43EF-B81C-0BC2ABA4B89D.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	32671  
Old 03-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #47
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Attachment 32669

I put a junction box where the factory inverter location is and mounted mine on the front wall next to my 3.0 level keypad
That looks like a better spot. I couldn't do that because the battery disconnect and all the switches for stabilizers, tank heaters and cap lights are in that location.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #48
jasin1

Quote:
That looks like a better spot. I couldn't do that because the battery disconnect and all the switches for stabilizers, tank heaters and cap lights are in that location.
Also I added the separate inverter mounted gfci outlet because it’s a 2000 watt inverter but I have everything past the inverter on a separate 15 amp breaker ..that way I have an outlet in the basement storage area
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3FE8CBA7-BB96-43D5-845F-361CBE7A4594.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	32672  
Old 03-26-2021, 01:26 PM   #49
Folkie

Quote:
Also I added the separate inverter mounted gfci outlet because it’s a 2000 watt inverter but I have everything past the inverter on a separate 15 amp breaker ..that way I have an outlet in the basement storage area
Guess I'll have to pull the manual for mine. I forgot that there was a blank for a utility outlet. Is the outlet only powered when the inverter is powered on? My inverter is on a 15A circuit that now only powers the 3 solar ready outlets when the inverter is off. It would be nice if it could also power the outlet on the inverter.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #50
jasin1

Quote:
Guess I'll have to pull the manual for mine. I forgot that there was a blank for a utility outlet. Is the outlet only powered when the inverter is powered on? My inverter is on a 15A circuit that now only powers the 3 solar ready outlets when the inverter is off. It would be nice if it could also power the outlet on the inverter.
I can check a little later.. not sure about that one ..good question
Old 03-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #51
Folkie

Quote:
I can check a little later.. not sure about that one ..good question
I don't have access to my camper at this time and the inverter owners manual does not have a wiring diagram but there is a section in the manual that says:

"Installations in marine and recreational vehicles require GFCI protection of branch circuits connected to the AC output of the Freedom X."

I conclude that the GFCI requirement can be fulfilled by wiring in a GFCI receptacle in the inverter to protect the downstream branch circuit. Of course mine is not set up that way. I have a GFCI receptacle at the end of the line to protect the under cabinet outlet which is near the sink.

In answer to my earlier question I will guess that the receptacle at the inverter, should I choose to install one, will be powered either from the 120 V 15 A breaker or by the battery like the other solar prep outlets if I power up the inverter when boondocking.

My plan would be to install a GFCI receptacle at the inverter but not wire it to protect the branch circuit since I don't know if two GFCIs would play well together on the same circuit and I really don't want to have to unpack and crawl into the pass through in my skivvies in the middle of the night to reset it if it trips!
Old 03-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #52
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Got all the parts for that upgrade in house, now just waiting for our next trip to get the camper out of the storage lot. Still thinking about how to best run the lines to the display inside the camper.
We wanted to mount the display for the battery monitor in the area where the rest of the display and switch are set, which is in the rear of the trailer just inside our entry door.

It required some creative routing, as the shunt is mounted in the front near the batteries. We routed some of the wire outside (in a protective sheath) and then at one point, up through the floor, then in the back of cupboards, through the wall and then finally up to where we need it. You can't see any of the wiring so it is nice an neat.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #53
tanglemoose

I will have to watch... but it seems like a couple of hours... but of course that depends if we watch TV, with our Directtv... run pump, etc. We usually do what we want, turn inverter off and are charged to what the in command system, solar controller says 13... something and super charged at 14.5... know a full battery is 12.6. So anything over I am guessing doing a absorption charge.
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #54
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
We wanted to mount the display for the battery monitor in the area where the rest of the display and switch are set, which is in the rear of the trailer just inside our entry door.
My thought is to also keep it near my existing "control panel" and run the lines along with those I previously ran. I just HATE drilling holes and must use care not to damage any other wires.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #55
jasin1

Quote:
I don't have access to my camper at this time and the inverter owners manual does not have a wiring diagram but there is a section in the manual that says:

"Installations in marine and recreational vehicles require GFCI protection of branch circuits connected to the AC output of the Freedom X."

I conclude that the GFCI requirement can be fulfilled by wiring in a GFCI receptacle in the inverter to protect the downstream branch circuit. Of course mine is not set up that way. I have a GFCI receptacle at the end of the line to protect the under cabinet outlet which is near the sink.

In answer to my earlier question I will guess that the receptacle at the inverter, should I choose to install one, will be powered either from the 120 V 15 A breaker or by the battery like the other solar prep outlets if I power up the inverter when boondocking.

My plan would be to install a GFCI receptacle at the inverter but not wire it to protect the branch circuit since I don't know if two GFCIs would play well together on the same circuit and I really don't want to have to unpack and crawl into the pass through in my skivvies in the middle of the night to reset it if it trips!
So yes,the gfci on the inverter itself is powered by the 15 amp solar breaker in the power center of the rv.
I looked at that wrong and thought it was a separate gfci that was stand alone only powered when the inverter was turned on.. I can’t remember and I don’t feel like walking back out there right now,if I have a gfci on that 3 outlet solar prep chain.
I haven’t used the inverter yet for anything more then testing it. If it’s a problem I will just unplug the gfci on the inverter..it has a quick connect molex type connection
Old 03-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #56
tanglemoose

I use the on 9ff switch on the inverter to turn on and off.. looking forward to day when I get remote panel switch . https://www.xantrex.com/power-produc...motepanel.aspx

Why on earth it is NOT in the OTG PACKAGE, I don't know! Should be inside the RV!
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #57
RJS

Solar Inverter AC Input Neutral ground bonding and Output Neutral ground bonding

While reviewing the user manual for the Inverter and checking my main circuit breaker box I noticed that the output Romex cable from the Xantrex Freedom X 2000 inverter and all Solar receptacles Romex cables were connected back inside the circuit breaker panel. The ground (copper) and neutral (white) wires for the inverter output and for all the Solar powered receptacles were incorrectly re-terminated back on the main circuit breaker Ground and Neutral Bus bars. The 120 Volt Power lead from the inverter output (Black lead) was correctly isolated from other AC in the circuit breaker box using a Wire nut to connect to the black line of all Romex cables going to the Solar powered receptacles.

When I state the ground and neutral wires were incorrectly re-terminated on the main circuit breaker bus bars it is because of this below paragraph from the inverter user manual (page 20) which details how the AC Output Neutral Bonding should be done to meet NEC.
AC Output Neutral Bonding
The neutral conductor of the Freedom X’s AC output circuit (that is, AC Output Neutral) is automatically connected to the safety ground during inverter operation. When AC utility power is present this connection is not present, so that the utility neutral (that is, AC Input Neutral) is only connected to utility ground at your source. This conforms to the National Electrical Code (NEC), which requires that separately derived AC sources (such as inverters and generators) have their neutral conductors tied to ground in the same way that the neutral conductor from the utility is tied to ground in only one place. Check the regulations for your specific application to ensure that the installation will comply with the necessary requirements. In other words, the AC Input Neutral ground bonding and Output Neutral ground bonding must be isolated from each other.
Below on first darker image is part of a Keystone electrical diagram that I found on-line and someone also posted the full drawing earlier in this thread. The middle image is a clear image of the Xantrex inverter from the user manual showing the typical installation (figure 14 on page 41). The Keystone drawing matches the Xantrex manual drawing because it has isolated input and output grounding and neutral connections. Keystone drawing shows isolated receptacles and Xantrex has two separate electrical panels #11 and #12. The actual wiring they did on my 29MBS is shown in the third image. You can see they incorrectly re-used the input grounding bus bars in the circuit breaker panel.

To correct the problem I could have tried to use two additional wire nuts to try and isolate Output Neutral ground bonding from the AC Input Neutral ground bonding, but I did not think I could keep the bare copper wire isolated and I really did not want to tape them with green electrical tape to help isolate them because in Arizona the higher heat can make electrical tape messy/gooey. As the circuit breaker box was already pretty full of wires I removed the Romex cable for the inverter output and the multiple Romex cables for the Solar Receptacles and placed them into an isolated non-metallic Duplex Electrical box with an access cover. That Duplex box is mounted to the right of the AC circuit breaker panel under the CO2 detector for ease of access inside the Trailer. The access cover is a blank black duplex cover with a label showing it is for Solar. I'll add a photo of that once I get my 5th wheel back from the shop as it is in for warranty service probably for a couple of months..

I did call and email these details to Keystone Customer Service as having the neutral ground bonding incorrect and not wired to code can result in current flow through a ground connection which can cause injury or death, or damage to the inverter and electrical system in the trailer. After a month of not getting a reply and was on-line with Keystone Customer Service I asked why I had not received any reply of my concerns (emailed twice to ask) and was told not to expect one. I also had asked for a clearer wiring diagram, so I expect that would be probably be the same..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Keystone Electrical drawing.png
Views:	237
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	38170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xantrex Freedom X2000 user manual - figure 14-page41.png
Views:	431
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	38171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Actual Solar output lines as wired from Keystone.png
Views:	157
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	38172  
Reese 94716 Gooseneck RV Coupler - 16K
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:38 PM   #58
RJS

Remote Control Panel for Xantrex Freedom X 2000 Inverter

One of the first things I modified on my 29MBS was to add the remote control Panel. Xantrex 808-0817-01 Remote Control for Freedom X and XC

I was not going to remove stuff from my storage area and crawl in on my back to use the one panel on the inverter mounted upside down on the top of the storage pass through... Price has come down since when I got it at a different on-line store. Here is the same model I purchased.
https://www.amazon.com/Schneider-Ele.../dp/B0756BJQCN

Mounted it directly below the iN-Command panel in the hallway. Was a pretty simple modification.
Attached Images

Reese 94716 Gooseneck RV Coupler - 16K
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #59
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
While reviewing the user manual for the Inverter and checking my main circuit breaker box I noticed that the output Romex cable from the Xantrex Freedom X 2000 inverter and all Solar receptacles Romex cables were connected back inside the circuit breaker panel. The ground (copper) and neutral (white) wires for the inverter output and for all the Solar powered receptacles were incorrectly re-terminated back on the main circuit breaker Ground and Neutral Bus bars. The 120 Volt Power lead from the inverter output (Black lead) was correctly isolated from other AC in the circuit breaker box using a Wire nut to connect to the black line of all Romex cables going to the Solar powered receptacles.

When I state the ground and neutral wires were incorrectly re-terminated on the main circuit breaker bus bars it is because of this below paragraph from the inverter user manual (page 20) which details how the AC Output Neutral Bonding should be done to meet NEC.
AC Output Neutral Bonding
The neutral conductor of the Freedom X’s AC output circuit (that is, AC Output Neutral) is automatically connected to the safety ground during inverter operation. When AC utility power is present this connection is not present, so that the utility neutral (that is, AC Input Neutral) is only connected to utility ground at your source. This conforms to the National Electrical Code (NEC), which requires that separately derived AC sources (such as inverters and generators) have their neutral conductors tied to ground in the same way that the neutral conductor from the utility is tied to ground in only one place. Check the regulations for your specific application to ensure that the installation will comply with the necessary requirements. In other words, the AC Input Neutral ground bonding and Output Neutral ground bonding must be isolated from each other.
Below on first darker image is part of a Keystone electrical diagram that I found on-line and someone also posted the full drawing earlier in this thread. The middle image is a clear image of the Xantrex inverter from the user manual showing the typical installation (figure 14 on page 41). The Keystone drawing matches the Xantrex manual drawing because it has isolated input and output grounding and neutral connections. Keystone drawing shows isolated receptacles and Xantrex has two separate electrical panels #11 and #12. The actual wiring they did on my 29MBS is shown in the third image. You can see they incorrectly re-used the input grounding bus bars in the circuit breaker panel.

To correct the problem I could have tried to use two additional wire nuts to try and isolate Output Neutral ground bonding from the AC Input Neutral ground bonding, but I did not think I could keep the bare copper wire isolated and I really did not want to tape them with green electrical tape to help isolate them because in Arizona the higher heat can make electrical tape messy/gooey. As the circuit breaker box was already pretty full of wires I removed the Romex cable for the inverter output and the multiple Romex cables for the Solar Receptacles and placed them into an isolated non-metallic Duplex Electrical box with an access cover. That Duplex box is mounted to the right of the AC circuit breaker panel under the CO2 detector for ease of access inside the Trailer. The access cover is a blank black duplex cover with a label showing it is for Solar. I'll add a photo of that once I get my 5th wheel back from the shop as it is in for warranty service probably for a couple of months..

I did call and email these details to Keystone Customer Service as having the neutral ground bonding incorrect and not wired to code can result in current flow through a ground connection which can cause injury or death, or damage to the inverter and electrical system in the trailer. After a month of not getting a reply and was on-line with Keystone Customer Service I asked why I had not received any reply of my concerns (emailed twice to ask) and was told not to expect one. I also had asked for a clearer wiring diagram, so I expect that would be probably be the same..
I'll apologize up front for getting a little lost with your post (a lot of distractions on my end today). I will attempt to pass along my understanding of how it works:

1. The camper breaker panel is not neutral-ground bonded because, per code, it expects to get that from the CG pedestal, your house or your generator.

2. The breaker that powers the 3 OTG outlets is providing power to the inverter. The inverter just passes the power on to the 3 outlets when the camper is being powered through the shore power cable. In this case, the inverter does not bond the neutral-ground lines since that happens at the other end of your shore power cable.

3. When you are not connected to shore power and are running the inverter from the batteries then the inverter should provide the neutral-ground bonding for the 3 OTG outlets. The inverter does not back-feed the breaker panel.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:23 PM   #60
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
One of the first things I modified on my 29MBS was to add the remote control Panel. Xantrex 808-0817-01 Remote Control for Freedom X and XC

I was not going to remove stuff from my storage area and crawl in on my back to use the one panel on the inverter mounted upside down on the top of the storage pass through... Price has come down since when I got it at a different on-line store. Here is the same model I purchased.
https://www.amazon.com/Schneider-Ele.../dp/B0756BJQCN

Mounted it directly below the iN-Command panel in the hallway. Was a pretty simple modification.
Congrats on a nice looking install!

Tags
led, solar