Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #21
Folkie

Steveo57,

Nice job with the diagrams and the video!

After being unable to get any electrical diagrams from the dealer or Keystone for my camper (2020 Cougar 22RBS) that came with factory roof solar and inverter I spent the better part of 2 days trying to untangle and diagram the mess of wires, fuses and auto breakers on just the A-frame. Once completed I had a much better understanding and was surprised how much comes of the batteries before the factory disconnect switch.

Is there any chance you could scan and email me the solar wiring diagram if I PM you my email? I would like to make a couple of minor changes to reflect my setup and it would save me from having to redraw it.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 02-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #22
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
At this point I'm planning on using the dealer installed 2 - 12volt deep cycle wet cell batteries. I might be able to be talked into 2 - 6v golf cart style batteries, but that is yet to be determined. Those would be an approximate up charge of $300...
A $300 up-charge to change over to 2XGC2 batteries seems a bit steep, considering I paid just under $100 each for my 235 AH GC2 from Batteries +

Maybe run with the cheaper option from the dealer and just buy GC2 when the stock ones die?

-Brian
Old 02-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

$300 seems to be about the right price, IF it includes the batteries ($100 each), two battery boxes ($25 each) and vent tubing/tie down straps in addition to the wiring to connect the "new system".... I'd suspect that $300 would be a "bargain basement conversion cost" given the retail price of the components. I don't see any "profit margin" in a $300 quote for a "complete golf cart battery conversion"... But, if it's just the batteries, no battery boxes and no venting for the boxes, then it shouldn't be much over $200, just to stick 2 batteries in the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:37 PM   #24
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Steveo57,

After being unable to get any electrical diagrams from the dealer or Keystone for my camper (2020 Cougar 22RBS) that came with factory roof solar and inverter I spent the better part of 2 days trying to untangle and diagram the mess of wires, fuses and auto breakers on just the A-frame. Once completed I had a much better understanding and was surprised how much comes of the batteries before the factory disconnect switch.

Is there any chance you could scan and email me the solar wiring diagram if I PM you my email? I would like to make a couple of minor changes to reflect my setup and it would save me from having to redraw it.

Thanks,
Phil
The diagram is just a picture that I saved from someone else who posted it.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #25
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
The diagram is just a picture that I saved from someone else who posted it.
Thanks Steve, it's good info but just doesn't print clearly. Guess I shouldn't be complaining as it is better than anything I got directly from Keystone which was nothing!

Phil
Old 02-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #26
GoingPlaces

The $300 was just an approximation based on the Trojan T-105 6v 185 Amp hour batteries. I'd need 2, plus possibly bigger battery boxes. The batteries are around $265 about $130 more each. I might be able to shop around a get a better price or lesser batteries.

Did you get the Duracell brand?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #27
B-O-B'03

Quote:
The $300 was just an approximation based on the Trojan T-105 6v 185 Amp hour batteries. I'd need 2, plus possibly bigger battery boxes. The batteries are around $265 about $130 more each. I might be able to shop around a get a better price or lesser batteries.

Did you get the Duracell brand?
The 235AH batteries I bought from cost+ were Duracell.

I also bought a new battery box that holds the batteries end-to-end and it fits in the original location on my trailer.

I was in Costco today and they had Interstate GC2 for $88.88 each, I think they were 210AH.

-Brian
Old 02-24-2021, 04:39 AM   #28
MarkEHansen

The Interstate batteries from Costco are the ones I'm using. I've had very good luck with them so far. For the price, they seem to out-perform the others.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

I was "almost ready" to buy new Interstate GC2 6 volt batteries from COSTCO ($98 each) They are $10 more per battery than Sam's, but "they're Interstate batteries, so they are better" .... Then I read the COSTCO battery warranty, (last paragraph) that states Golf Cart or Recreational batteries are warrantied for a "pro-rated 6 month time frame"... 6 MONTHS ????

Sam's Club Duracell GC2 batteries ($89 each) are cheaper and have a "full year replacement warranty".

My last Duracell batteries have lasted 7 years in the fifth wheel and I was/am going to replace them before I have problems, although they seem to be working OK, I just don't want to be on the first day of a 1 week dry camping fishing trip and not have lights or water pump.... So, thinking about new ones this spring.

Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was "almost ready" to buy new Interstate GC2 6 volt batteries from COSTCO ($98 each) They are $10 more per battery than Sam's, but "they're Interstate batteries, so they are better" .... Then I read the COSTCO battery warranty, (last paragraph) that states Golf Cart or Recreational batteries are warrantied for a "pro-rated 6 month time frame"... 6 MONTHS ????

Sam's Club Duracell GC2 batteries ($89 each) are cheaper and have a "full year replacement warranty".

My last Duracell batteries have lasted 7 years in the fifth wheel and I was/am going to replace them before I have problems, although they seem to be working OK, I just don't want to be on the first day of a 1 week dry camping fishing trip and not have lights or water pump.... So, thinking about new ones this spring.

Hmmmmm
I had 2-12 volt Duracells in our 5th wheel that were 3 years old when we sold it & had no issues. Our golf cart has 6-6 volt Duracells that are 2 years old & still going strong.
All the above batteries were FLA & for the price I don't think paying 1/2 again or even twice as much would give you any better results.
For about the difference in price between 1 AGM & 1 FLA battery you can buy the watering system for both batteries ($50-60) & VIOLA! your good to go.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, My Duracell's from Sam's are now 7 years old. They have been great batteries and I don't have any complaints about them. I was just "considering the upgrade to Interstate brand"... At $20 for two batteries, that's not much of a "price increase to own pretty green ones"... I guess it's almost like the surcharge you pay to buy a Deere tractor. Same as the New Holland, both built in China from Indian parts <G>... But the Deere costs 25% more because it's green...

Anyway, when I read the warranty, "PRO-RATED on a 6 month warranty"... I decided to stick with Duracell (one year/full replacement) and I guess I'll wait until I start having problems before swapping them out. How else would I know if they last 7 years or 17 years LOL....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-25-2021, 06:02 AM   #32
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Steveo57,

Thanks,
Phil
I forgot I had this PDF of the schematic. Much nicer and it shows the prewiring also.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Keystone Cougar Zamp OTG Schematic.pdf (91.7 KB, 190 views)
Old 02-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #33
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
I forgot I had this PDF of the schematic. Much nicer and it shows the prewiring also.
That's awesome Steve!

Thanks for your help. I'll raise one in your honor tonight.

Phil
Old 03-25-2021, 08:40 PM   #34
GoingPlaces

We finally picked up our new 2021 25 RBSWE with the factory installed Solar OTG package. Just thought I pass along the components they put in my rig.

It came with 2- 6 volt 70 AH batteries (Deka brand I believe), a 170 Watt solar panel, a Zamp 30 Amp solar battery charger, and a 2000 watt Xantrex power inverter.

I was happy to see that the inverter was 2000 watts; the brochure said the inverter could only be 1200 watts. I was able to upgrade the batteries to Trojan T-105 (225 AH) for short money

I have not had the opportunity to use the system yet, so I do not have a feel for how long it will last. The TV is powered via a receptacle fed from the Inverter. With the 2000 watt inverter, we can get a better coffee pot!
Old 03-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #35
GoingPlaces

I should also add, there is a disconnect switch on the wire coming from the battery to the inverter. I believe one should turn off that switch when the inverter is not in use, I'll bet the inverter puts a drain on the batteries. I'm looking for the specs to see how much power it uses when it is in standby mode. Meaning the unit is on without a 120v draw. I do see where it can be configured to automatically turn off after a period of time when no current is used. What I don't know yet is whether it will automatically turn back on when AC power is wanted.

The Inverter is mounted in the front storage pass trough on the ceiling and as others have stated... It's a bummer to read the display !!!!
Old 03-26-2021, 12:08 AM   #36
jasin1

You can add one of these...
I mounted my xantrex inverter to the front wall of the storage compartment..I didn’t like the ceiling location
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCEA8EC2-D647-4BE3-AE22-474869CCAE2C.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	32654  
Old 03-26-2021, 07:01 AM   #37
tanglemoose

been using this setup since Jan. 12th

Hello, we have the same package but have 2 6v batteries, us2200 deep cycle. Love the system BUT.. going to put in a remote switch for inverter. Going out to storage compartment to turn off and on is #%/^^^... but until I get home, won't mess with it. It is a quick connect and I think 25 foot wire with a panel. With full control.

If you leave on, with sun shining you are fine, but I like to get that good deep charge on my batteries. And I discovered if I do not use for 24 hours shut off automatically and impossible to read settings upside down.

Coffee pot? I have not tried, was thinking it would drain my batteries, first thing...we usually wake up to 12.2 to 12.4 but I need battery monitor.
In full sun here, but moving to.part shade soon, another test!
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #38
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglemoose View Post
Hello, we have the same package but have 2 6v batteries, us2200 deep cycle. Love the system BUT.. going to put in a remote switch for inverter. Going out to storage compartment to turn off and on is #%/^^^... but until I get home, won't mess with it. It is a quick connect and I think 25 foot wire with a panel. With full control.

If you leave on, with sun shining you are fine, but I like to get that good deep charge on my batteries. And I discovered if I do not use for 24 hours shut off automatically and impossible to read settings upside down.

Coffee pot? I have not tried, was thinking it would drain my batteries, first thing...we usually wake up to 12.2 to 12.4 but I need battery monitor.
In full sun here, but moving to.part shade soon, another test!
I have two Trojan 6 volts and the xantrex 2000freedom x.. it wouldn’t power up my keurig.
I got a old camp style percolating coffee pot for a gift. I don’t want to deplete my entire battery reserves to make one cup of coffee..I usually drink Two
Old 03-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #39
GoingPlaces

If your batteries start out the day at 12.2v , about how long in full sun does it take to fully charge your batteries ?
Old 03-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
If your batteries start out the day at 12.2v , about how long in full sun does it take to fully charge your batteries ?
I wouldn’t have any idea..I have a 200 watt suitcase panel I played around with once so far ..it was varying the amps based on placement and angle, the solar controller has a lot to do with it with the mppt controllers being more efficient..edit I see it was for tanglemoose

Tags
led, solar