Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
Kopy kat

Two solar controllers??

I have an old 100 watt panel with a 20 amp controller to keep my battery pack maintained while in storage.

I also have a Renogy suitcase solar setup with it’s own built in 20 amp controller.

The question I have is can I utilize both systems at the same time...or will there be a conflict between the two separate controllers?

Thanks, Larry
Kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Wouldn't that be the same as attaching a garden hose to a faucet, then going to the other end of the hose and attaching that to another faucet and turning on both faucets????

It's my understanding that solar controllers monitor the battery voltage and apply charging current to the battery only when required. If you have two "monitors" each sensing the output of the other controller, wouldn't they, in effect, turn each other off ???

It's the same with the WFCO converter/charger. It senses the battery voltage and sends a charge current to the battery to replace a low voltage sensed from the battery. If you connect a "stand alone battery charger" to the battery terminals, the WFCO will sense that voltage and "assume" the battery voltage is above the threshold and will not charge the battery.... That's "sort of like" using a 3 amp battery charger to augment a 40 amp battery charger, only what you're really doing is turning off the 40 amp charger with the voltage from the 3 amp charger, rendering the entire system as "not charging the battery.

It's my understanding that you can only use one "charge controller" at a time, so to do what you want to do (use both solar panel arrays to increase available wattage) you'd need to somehow connect both solar panel arrays "behind a single controller", thus increasing the wattage into one controller, not by using two controllers which counteract each other.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
Canonman

I believe John has this right. His example is right on as is his proposed solution. Two solar panels and one controller.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
Kopy kat

That’s kind of what I thought, just wanted a second/different opinion as well.

Thanks, Larry
Kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The "self contained suitcase setup" probably doesn't have an accessible controller input panel. So it would be difficult to connect the other solar panel array output to that one. That may also be the situation with the other controller as well. If you have access to the "input/output" panels on the controllers, you may be able to switch wiring to connect both solar arrays to the input connection on one of the controllers...

If you attempt that, make sure that the output of BOTH solar array panels (when added together) is less than the maximum capacity of the controller you connect them to...

In other words, don't connect a 100 watt and a 125 watt panel to a controller with a 150 watt maximum capacity. Hopefully, the controller capacity and the array output wattage are both available "on the components" so you can be sure you don't exceed the maximum input to the controller.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
Canonman

The controller on our Zamp suitcase portable has screw/lug connectors. Attaching another panel would be no problem. A simple splice into the wiring of the OP's suitcase panel from the "old" separate panel would be an easy solution if the connectors we're not accessable.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
koda57

This is posted on Zamps FAQ's

3. Can I connect two charge controllers to the same battery bank (e.g. combine a roof mount system and a portable kit)?

Yes, two independent charge controllers can be connected directly to the battery as long as both controllers are set to the same battery type.

The charge controllers will not work properly if wired in series, one to the other.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:18 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Wouldn't that be the same as attaching a garden hose to a faucet, then going to the other end of the hose and attaching that to another faucet and turning on both faucets????

It's my understanding that solar controllers monitor the battery voltage and apply charging current to the battery only when required. If you have two "monitors" each sensing the output of the other controller, wouldn't they, in effect, turn each other off ???

It's the same with the WFCO converter/charger. It senses the battery voltage and sends a charge current to the battery to replace a low voltage sensed from the battery. If you connect a "stand alone battery charger" to the battery terminals, the WFCO will sense that voltage and "assume" the battery voltage is above the threshold and will not charge the battery.... That's "sort of like" using a 3 amp battery charger to augment a 40 amp battery charger, only what you're really doing is turning off the 40 amp charger with the voltage from the 3 amp charger, rendering the entire system as "not charging the battery.

It's my understanding that you can only use one "charge controller" at a time, so to do what you want to do (use both solar panel arrays to increase available wattage) you'd need to somehow connect both solar panel arrays "behind a single controller", thus increasing the wattage into one controller, not by using two controllers which counteract each other.
Hey John that circular charging method you described is kind of like this post I just saw on Craigslist.This guy will go to the store with you to monitor your spending to make sure you don’t spend too much money. He accomplishes this by charging you the money you would otherwise save lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDF78F26-8BA1-4003-9A4A-8E8E11F0359B.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	31735  
Old 01-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Hey John that circular charging method you described is kind of like this post I just saw on Craigslist.This guy will go to the store with you to monitor your spending to make sure you don’t spend too much money. He accomplishes this by charging you the money you would otherwise save lol
HOLY SMOKES !!!!!

It almost looks like "Thomas is a friendly guy who got fired from his job because he was busy watching what other people were doing at work (rather than doing his own job) and wants to turn that into a "cash only business" doing what he got fired for doing..... LOL

I suppose he could be called a "turn lemons into lemonade" kind of guy.. Then again, he might be looking for checking account numbers and wanting you to pay him a bonus in cash while he obtains your information..... No thanks LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
solar