Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Rangerj

Pulling a boat

Have any of you had any experience pulling a small boat with fifth wheel? I've seen it done. I know the bumper has to be beefed up. Any experience or second hand knowledge?

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You have to check with your state motor vehicle department to see if you can. Then you need to know max length, and any special license requirements.

After that, I would have a receiver welded to the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
notanlines

Ranger, it is legal in your state, but you have to keep the boat relatively small. Let’s not get into a 7k boat behind your rig. There are a number of members here who also triple tow and may give some advice. I’ve triple towed for years and had no trouble to speak of, certainly none legally.
And no, the bumper doesn’t need to be beefed up. It needs to be out of the equation. Like chuckster said,
It has to be welded to the frame.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
Rangerj

Thanks, actually that's what I was trying to say. Weld the receiver direct. We have a 17 ft Bass Tracker. Fairly light weight. It would be fun to take it with us on some trips. Any of y'all reading this actually done it?

2018 336fbok Jayco
Old 01-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #5
notanlines

Ranger, did I not just tell you I have done this for years. John has done this for years, as have hundreds of RVers all over the heartland of America. But do not beef up your bumper as you suggested.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerj View Post
Thanks, actually that's what I was trying to say. Weld the receiver direct. We have a 17 ft Bass Tracker. Fairly light weight. It would be fun to take it with us on some trips. Any of y'all reading this actually done it?
Yep, I've been towing two trailers for about the last 15 years or so. Both a boat and/or a motorcycle. And what Jim just told you is "gospel"... NEVER use "bumper" and "hitch" in the same sentence. You need to COMPLETLEY avoid the bumper and weld your receiver to the frame rails (not the bumper extension tubes) and forget the bumper is even there as for any support for a second trailer. Don't forget you'll also want a rear camera to use while towing. The only part of the trailer you'll see when towing is an occasional shadow, except in turns. It's "spooky" to say the least, to wonder if your boat is "still back there" or if it's "missing in action".....

MS has a 65' maximum length restriction, you can go west or north, but not east (Alabama does not permit two trailers)...

My rigs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRIPLE TOWING.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	31626   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCK TRAILER AND BOAT.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	31627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3629.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	31628   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3631.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	31629  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep, I've been towing two trailers for about the last 15 years or so. Both a boat and/or a motorcycle. And what Jim just told you is "gospel"... MS has a 65' maximum length restriction, you can go west or north, but not east (Alabama does not permit two trailers)...

My rigs
Stupid question but how does that affect the trailer combined weights on TV ? Do you just add everything together and can’t exceed Gcwr? Actually yes I guess that’s it. How does that affect (effect) the pin weight ? Does it take weight off the pin having weight on the back? And lastly I guess it’s out of the question for a new trailer as it would likely void warranty?
Old 01-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #8
jasin1

This doesn’t look good ...bridge transition got him
Old 01-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #9
Rangerj

Notan, I just said I understood to weld the receiver direct. I mis-wrote by referring to the bumper. Understand the receiver must be direct to frame. Glad you've had good results with it. Next thing is to look at affect on weights.

2018 336fbok Jayco
Old 01-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't seen any significant change in pin weight with or without the second trailer. If you look at where the axles are on most fifth wheels, there's about 2/3 the length ahead of the axle centerline and 1/3 behind the axles, so 250 pounds of tongue weight from a boat/trailer combo isn't going to "cantilever" much, if any weight off the pin. There may be 100-150 pounds shifted, but that's no more than a generator and 5 gallons of gas in the truck bed...

Hitching a second trailer won't make your "significantly overloaded F150/1500 half ton "suddenly well within payload"....

Yes, you're correct in assuming the GCWR includes both trailers and the truck.

Also remember that the "maximum trailer capacity" also includes both trailers, so if your fifth wheel GVW is 11,500 and your tow vehicle "max trailer weight" is 12,500, you can only tow an additional 1000 pounds (if your trailer is loaded to GVW). In that case, you can't tow a 2000 pound boat and trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
I haven't seen any significant change in pin weight with or without the second trailer. If you look at where the axles are on most fifth wheels, there's about 2/3 the length ahead of the axle centerline and 1/3 behind the axles, so 250 pounds of tongue weight from a boat/trailer combo isn't going to "cantilever" much, if any weight off the pin. There may be 100-150 pounds shifted, but that's no more than a generator and 5 gallons of gas in the truck bed...

Hitching a second trailer won't make your "significantly overloaded F150/1500 half ton "suddenly well within payload"....

Yes, you're correct in assuming the GCWR includes both trailers and the truck.

Also remember that the "maximum trailer capacity" also includes both trailers, so if your fifth wheel GVW is 11,500 and your tow vehicle "max trailer weight" is 12,500, you can only tow an additional 1000 pounds (if your trailer is loaded to GVW). In that case, you can't tow a 2000 pound boat and trailer.....
It seems like you would add that weight to the fifth wheel..or at least the hitch weight of the second trailer would come out of the available cargo capacity of your fifth wheel...? Maybe?
Old 01-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This doesn’t look good ...bridge transition got him
WOW !!!!!

1. Notice how he didn't slow down when the trailer separated? All the more reason for having a rear camera. I'd suspect it was several hundred feet "down the road" before he even realized the trailer was in trouble.....

2. How fast was he going? He passed the "camera car".

3. Where were his safety chains ????? And if he did have safety chains, where were they attached ?????

There wasn't a significant "jostle" when the camera car went over the bridge transition, so I wonder just what type of hitch he was using? Was it a bumper bolt on? A bolt on CURT RV receiver? or a "welded to the frame" receiver???

And, the "foolishness" of the camera car driver, to pass that rolling trailer, even in the left lane with it on the shoulder... All it would have taken is a rock or a piece of 2x4 on the shoulder to have knocked it sideways and right in front of that moving car.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
WOW !!!!!

1. Notice how he didn't slow down when the trailer separated? All the more reason for having a rear camera. I'd suspect it was several hundred feet "down the road" before he even realized the trailer was in trouble.....

2. How fast was he going? He passed the "camera car".

3. Where were his safety chains ????? And if he did have safety chains, where were they attached ?????

There wasn't a significant "jostle" when the camera car went over the bridge transition, so I wonder just what type of hitch he was using? Was it a bumper bolt on? A bolt on CURT RV receiver? or a "welded to the frame" receiver???
Yeah lol when I read your post above about having a camera and only seeing a shadow I remembered this video I saw a week or so ago. It’s AMAZING the trailer didn’t pole vault end over end. It reminded me of the flinstones when the trailer separated
Old 01-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It seems like you would add that weight to the fifth wheel..or at least the hitch weight of the second trailer would come out of the availability cargo capacity of your fifth wheel...? Maybe?
Nope. All you'd add to the fifth wheel "payload" (just like your truck payload) is the tongue weight of the second trailer. Your fifth wheel is not "carrying the weight of the second trailer" only the "tongue weight of the second trailer". The second trailer axle is carrying the rest of that trailer's weight.

ADDED: But, the ENTIRE SECOND TRAILER WEIGHT is added to "total trailer weight" and comes off the GCWR for the tow vehicle. Also, don't forget that your fifth wheel hitch rating MUST carry a high enough rating for both trailers... In other words, if you've got a 15K fifth wheel and are towing it with a 16K CURT E5 hitch, you can't add another 2K (for a total of 17K) to that hitch with a 16K rating...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerj View Post
Notan, I just said I understood to weld the receiver direct. I mis-wrote by referring to the bumper. Understand the receiver must be direct to frame. Glad you've had good results with it. Next thing is to look at affect on weights.
See video above lol have CERTIFIED welder weld on receiver hitch
Old 01-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #16
Rangerj

No kidding!

2018 336fbok Jayco
Old 01-25-2021, 04:03 AM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Nope. All you'd add to the fifth wheel "payload" (just like your truck payload) is the tongue weight of the second trailer. Your fifth wheel is not "carrying the weight of the second trailer" only the "tongue weight of the second trailer". The second trailer axle is carrying the rest of that trailer's weight.

ADDED: But, the ENTIRE SECOND TRAILER WEIGHT is added to "total trailer weight" and comes off the GCWR for the tow vehicle. Also, don't forget that your fifth wheel hitch rating MUST carry a high enough rating for both trailers... In other words, if you've got a 15K fifth wheel and are towing it with a 16K CURT E5 hitch, you can't add another 2K (for a total of 17K) to that hitch with a 16K rating...
Thanks! I didn’t even consider the hitch rating ..I may just leave this one to you seasoned rv members. I can see myself trying to explain this whole setup to a traffic cop on the side of the road in some little town..........
And then in a little courthouse to a judge with whiteboards and diagrams of the various forces and mechanics at play....” your honor the two yoots were towing a boat behind a fifth wheel, not uncommon in parts out west” ..... (judge) “ did you just say yoots”?....my cousin vinnie reference lol
Yep this wouldn’t play out good for me lol
Old 01-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks! I didn’t even consider the hitch rating ..I may just leave this one to you seasoned rv members. I can see myself trying to explain this whole setup to a traffic cop on the side of the road in some little town..........
And then in a little courthouse to a judge with whiteboards and diagrams of the various forces and mechanics at play....” your honor the two yoots were towing a boat behind a fifth wheel, not uncommon in parts out west” ..... (judge) “ did you just say yoots”?
Yep this wouldn’t play out good for me lol
That's EXACTLY why I always suggest following ALL the towing rules when travelling in "remote or unfamiliar territory"... Things like safety chains on "ball mounted hitches", yellow sticker max weights, maximum length (especially when towing two trailers) and recently, driver's license requirements for those approaching/over 26,000 pounds of truck/trailer GVW.

For me, and I'd suppose many others, arguing with a "one horse town deputy" on a Sunday afternoon on the side of the road, when his "chief" had a special meeting on Friday afternoon that the Mayor just chewed his a** demanding that they stop all the speeding and increase the enforcement of all traffic laws because the city court is not paying for itself this quarter.....

Best, IMHO, to simply avoid being in the position to attract "Barney's" interest as he sits behind the hedge at the town cemetery, patiently waiting for out of state license plates.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #19
RoadToad

Quote:
It seems like you would add that weight to the fifth wheel..or at least the hitch weight of the second trailer would come out of the available cargo capacity of your fifth wheel...? Maybe?
Yes and Yes ..
Tongue weights and ARM (catilever, teeter-totter effect)
Have towed triple for 50 years.
Different length limitations in different states.
Most are 65 - 70 ft.

Some states do not allow triples e.g. Alabama, Oregon
Google it ... It's all there
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Yes and Yes ..
Tongue weights and ARM (catilever, teeter-totter effect)
Have towed triple for 50 years.
Different length limitations in different states.
Most are 65 - 70 ft.

Some states do not allow triples e.g. Alabama, Oregon
Google it ... It's all there
Thanks! Yeah I could Google it and I do my fair share of googling... but I’ve grown to enjoy this forum and the interaction with other like minded individuals.. I learn ALOT from first hand experience and members knowledge and nuances.. sometimes the most interesting stories you ever heard was from just asking someone about a subject they know about