Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
Sherri.washington

2013 Sprinter 328 RLS

We are experiencing confusion with our reading on our sewer tanks. The display shows two gray and two black but we only have one gray handle at the same location as two black handles. This morning while camping we had 3/4 full on both grey 1 and black 1, then later they were all at 1/4. Do they feed each other and level off? Do we really have 4 tanks? User manual no help. Thanks
Sherri.washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Terry W.

From looking at the floorplan with only one toliet there is no need for 2 black tanks. It would be my guess it.has 2 gray tanks & 1 black. 1 gray for kitchen, 1 gray for shower and bathroom sink and the black. The panels are multiple use in different floorplans.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Concur with Terry W. The tanks don't feed to each other. To the issue of two gray tanks, that is very likely. All your tank dump handles will be on the driver's side. It is possible the 2nd gray tank handle you are not seeing is located sort of behind the rear wheel on the driver's side.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Terry W.

If the handles are marked 2 black and 1 gray it also very possible that the handles are miss labeled, very common issue also.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Sherri.washington

Two black handles one gray.

Hubby confirmed two black one grey handle. Now to determine how the levels go from 3 lights to 1 light and no dumping yet. We are at a site with no septic. We’re usually connected to septic so haven’t realized these items since new. Thanks for the feedback. So much to learn!
Sherri.washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:37 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

Do you mean that when you're connected to the park sewer system you leave your dump valves open? That's a bad idea for the gray tanks and a very, very bad idea for the black tank. You still need to keep the valves closed until time to empty, and then empty.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Tturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Do you mean that when you're connected to the park sewer system you leave your dump valves open? That's a bad idea for the gray tanks and a very, very bad idea for the black tank. You still need to keep the valves closed until time to empty, and then empty.
Sorry for jumping in here, but we haven't connected to a park sewer system before but we will be in a few days. So this is the correct way to do it then, connect but dump when ready not constantly. Can I ask why?
Tturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #8
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tturbo View Post
Sorry for jumping in here, but we haven't connected to a park sewer system before but we will be in a few days. So this is the correct way to do it then, connect but dump when ready not constantly. Can I ask why?
You can dump gray all the time. DO NOT DUMP BLACK ALL THE TIME. The solid poop will make a pyramid when the water runs out the pipe. It will dry out and you will have a hard time removing the mass. A day or so before dumping the black close your gray valve. That way you have gray water to clear your hose with after dumping the black tank. Also, let the black tank get full before dumping. That makes for a better clean out of the tank.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
travelin texans

As to the sensors, don't put much faith, concern, time or money trying to get them to be any where near accurate, they are notorious for being worthless for most folks.
You'll eventually learn the toilet burp to know it's time to dump, the shower will back up when that grey tank is full (usually in the middle of you showering) & the kitchen will usually be good til one of the others are full.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tturbo View Post

RJ addressed the black tank well. Don't leave the valve open. It will lead to a situation (poo pyramid) that you do not, repeat do not, want to have to rectify. It is inevitable if you don't let enough water accumulate in the tank to flush things out when dumped. As far as gray tanks, I would recommend you don't. Listening to some, and thinking it sounded good, I tried that on one of my first long trips. When we prepared to depart after several weeks I went to remove the slinky sewer hose and found it weight far more than it did empty. Peering into it from both ends I found that the residuals from the gray tanks, ie; soap residues, hair etc. had built up all across the bottom because there isn't enough flow when it is trickling out when using a sink, shower etc. I threw that hose away before we left and haven't repeated that mistake since.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
Tturbo

I too have had little faith in those sensors and can understand why people go a little nuts trying to figure out how to clean them. We boondock most of the time so it would be nice if they worked before it started bubbling out

The forum has also been a great source for what to do for winterization and for a final clean out black/grey/fresh water tanks too. So we should be good to go now.

Thank you for all of your comments they are sound advice.
Tturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter