Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
pakuma

Recommendations for cleaning grey tank sensors

What would you recommend to clean the sensors in both of the grey tanks in my 2013 29rks. I clean the black tank religiously with Calgon and Dawn and have had very few black tank sensor issues.
Thanks in advance
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakuma View Post
What would you recommend to clean the sensors in both of the grey tanks in my 2013 29rks. I clean the black tank religiously with Calgon and Dawn and have had very few black tank sensor issues.
Thanks in advance

Why do you wish to clean the gray tank sensors?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
dutchmensport

Unless you are in a permanent site, you add the Dawn and a some water to the tanks and go for a drive. When you reach your destination, flush the tanks out. Do this every time you move and your sensors will respond.

However, if you are sitting in a permanent spot and not moving the camper, you might as well forget the sensors completely. The only possibility is to use a toilet wand down the toilet attached to a garden hose, and work it around and around and around: ... no, not my video. But a simple demonstration.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I have had about 98% success using Dawn Ultra Blue and hot water.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakuma View Post
Thanks in advance
Do the same with the grey as you do with the black if you're having good results.

I use Dawn religiously in the kitchen sink when doing the dishes. And I make sure I use "plenty" of it for that purpose of keeping things as clean as possible down there. I only had one issue one time a while back with a malfunctioning sensor in the grey tank. I used a couple of black tank drop in pods, filled the grey with fresh water and let it sit for a few days. Then dumped it and all was well. Not sure why the malfunction, but it was a one time thing.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

There are many ways to "attempt" to clean your sensors and then you "hope" that whatever they say is accurate. I've had temporary success...for a very short time and a lot of trouble buying this and that to clean it out etc. Over 35 years my tanks know what they are doing and they talk to me. I also know how long it takes doing usual "business" to empty the tanks.

The monitors are a new "revelation" in the last several years that have led many folks unfamiliar with camping in an RV to "depend" on them...have to have them. The were never there before and things worked perfectly; I never look at my "indicators" because I don't need to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

My question was never answered; why clean gray tanks? There is no toilet paper or such to gum up the sensors from working.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My question was never answered; why clean gray tanks? There is no toilet paper or such to gum up the sensors from working.
My question is why are you wasting time trying to fix something that won't work past the next tank full anyway.
I'm like the other Danny & haven't even looked at the pretty red lights in years, just listen.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My question is why are you wasting time trying to fix something that won't work past the next tank full anyway.
I'm like the other Danny & haven't even looked at the pretty red lights in years, just listen.

Danny You not needing to look at the sensors isn't my point here. I asked the OP WHY clean the gray tanks. The OP never mentioned the sensors and there is no reason for them to malfunction in gray tanks due to not cleaning. The OP got lots of black tank wisdom but I personally have NEVER cleaned a gray tank and can think of no good reason to do so.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Danny You not needing to look at the sensors isn't my point here. I asked the OP WHY clean the gray tanks. The OP never mentioned the sensors and there is no reason for them to malfunction in gray tanks due to not cleaning. The OP got lots of black tank wisdom but I personally have NEVER cleaned a gray tank and can think of no good reason to do so.
Totally agree!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I had a customer bring in his class C with gray tanks reading full and shower not draining. Turns out he left the gray open all the time, and it no longer drained.

I had to take the gray valve apart and “chip away” all the soap scum and hair. It was GROSSER than doing a black tank valve. Needless to say after I cleared what I could I used a 1/4 bottle of Dawn ultra and hot water. Got it read 2/3. Instructed him to use it a couple more times and keep the valve closed until needing to be dumped. 2 weeks later he came back for something else but said his sensors were working as designed.

My point is Dawn Ultra blue and hot water WORK!! And as I have said since I’ve been a member, with proper maintenance ALL sensors will work as designed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
dutchmensport

I have found, cleaning the grey tank does have advantages in keeping smells down. I can dump my grey tank on the ground at my house, and sometimes it smells pretty bad. Just like a black tank, food particals can stick to the walls, (and the sensors) and after a while smell really, really bad when dumping.

Again, the absolute easiest solution to clean up the grey tank (as well as the black), is to leave some water in the tank and hit the road. The water sloshing in the tank is all that REALLY needs to be done to clean things off that like to "hang around" (literally.)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #13
BrooksFam

I believe some of the grey tank additives also have cleaning agents in them.

I have put my leftover ice in the black tank (down head) when leaving camp and the sloshing around helps scrub the tank walls and sensors. Might work in the grey tank if you can get ice in there.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
markcee

Just curious....if he left his grey valves open, waste water would be constantly draining through the outlet. How did soap scum and hair mange to dry up and solidify..sealing a 3” pipe, under these conditions? What am I missing? I thought it was a pretty common practice to leave the grey(s) open until you wanted to fill ‘em up some to aid in sewer hose flushing after dumping the black.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
When we bought our hybrid trailer years ago the previous owner had it in a cg next to a large state games area in PA. I think he used it mainly as a hunting camp.I also think he regularly poured grease down the kitchen sink from frying food.

As hard as tried the gray tank would drain slowly. Many back Flushing would result in white chucks but still wouldn't flow well. After some investigating the gray tank was in line with the 3" drain line. So I took the camper to a car wash and spent a couple of rolls worth of quarters holding the high pressure wand in the drain line.

I could have filled a 10 at. galvanized bucket with all the chunks of white solids that came out of that tank. I don't think the black tank ever had anything innit before we bought it. Amazing what some people will do.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Just curious....if he left his grey valves open, waste water would be constantly draining through the outlet. How did soap scum and hair mange to dry up and solidify..sealing a 3” pipe, under these conditions? What am I missing? I thought it was a pretty common practice to leave the grey(s) open until you wanted to fill ‘em up some to aid in sewer hose flushing after dumping the black.
Gray is normally 1 1/2” not 3”. I don’t know how his clogged but I do know it was nastier than anything else I have dealt with.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #17
pakuma

Quote:
I want to clean them because the sensors show full when completely empty. I am hoping to at least be able to clean them enough to get a rough idea of where the tank is, i know the sensors are very unreliable.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #18
Canonman

I'm with the Chuckster on this one. Properly cleaned and maintained the sensors are reasonable indicators as to the fill levels of your tanks. Food particles soap scum etc can affect the sensors. Remember, they are only looking for a ground potential to activate the sensor circuit and send current to the monitor.
I'd try Chuckster's suggestion and see if it works. We do this after each camping session and so far absolutely no problems with any of the tanks or indicators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	29331  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #19
BrooksFam

Quote:
Grease and soap scum may render the sensors less accurate.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #20
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I had a customer bring in his class C with gray tanks reading full and shower not draining. Turns out he left the gray open all the time, and it no longer drained.

I had to take the gray valve apart and “chip away” all the soap scum and hair. It was GROSSER than doing a black tank valve. Needless to say after I cleared what I could I used a 1/4 bottle of Dawn ultra and hot water. Got it read 2/3. Instructed him to use it a couple more times and keep the valve closed until needing to be dumped. 2 weeks later he came back for something else but said his sensors were working as designed.

My point is Dawn Ultra blue and hot water WORK!! And as I have said since I’ve been a member, with proper maintenance ALL sensors will work as designed.
Is this the Dawn Ultra blue you use?
https://www.amazon.ca/Ultra-Concentr...7945238&sr=8-1
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank