Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
mikec557

Silicone removal?

I have a curved shower that leaks water from the inside of the shower to the outside of the clear plastic fixed pane, at the base of the fixed pane more or less. The water remains on the white plastic shower base pan, on the top surface that's about 3in wide and has the plastic pane placed in the middle of the 3in flat surface.

As of yet, I can't tell if the water is going under the base rail, or out through the gap near the base where the back shower wall meets the pan, the overlap area. That's about an inch up the vertical edge of the clear plastic fixed shower door pane.

There is clear silicone on every edge as far as I can see, but clearly some water gets through.

I haven't decided where to caulk yet, but I've read that nothing sticks to silicone, including more silicone. I'm concerned my caulking efforts will be thwarted by the old silicone.

What's the best way to remove the old silicone? I'm sure it involves a little scraping and peeling, but shouldn't I use some kind of solvent too?

TIA
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If it is silicone, you can use a plastic scraper. Then clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol and reseal. I have done this numerous times with no issues.

I do use compressed air and blow out the channel before applying sealant. I also recommend doing both the inside and outside seams.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If it is silicone, you can use a plastic scraper. Then clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol and reseal. I have done this numerous times with no issues.

I do use compressed air and blow out the channel before applying sealant. I also recommend doing both the inside and outside seams.
Thanks Chuckster. I'll give this a try. Since you've done this a few times, can I assume the denatured alcohol doesn't harm the plastic base?
Old 07-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Doesn’t hurt it at all. Out here on the left coast we can’t buy it anymore.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Doesn’t hurt it at all. Out here on the left coast we can’t buy it anymore.
You want I should smuggle some in next I wander through...

Border Guard: Sir. Do you have any fruits or vegetables?

Driver: No mame.

I watched a lot of Breaking Bad. I think I can do it...
Old 07-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Have you tried cannabis? You can buy that right?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote