Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
Silver_

First trip...rear AC issue

We were able to get out with the new 364BHL to Palo Duro for the long weekend since we already had reservations. It's just up the road, and we've been coming here for going on 40 years. We got here around lunch today and set everything up.

We started the rear (main) AC but it wasn't doing much good. I figured the heat of the day (around 90f) would take some time to push away. I checked my amperage draw and was able to switch on the front AC as well by running the water heater and fridge on propane. The front AC was working much better, and after several hours, the front AC was pushing cold air while the rear AC was room temperature. It wasn't frozen, the fans were running fine, and it was drawing appropriate amperage as if the compressor was running. I could hear it kick on when we switched it to AC, but no cold air. The coils were super hot up top.

I ended up just running the front AC and keeping the rear unit on fan only. Luckily it's cooling off outside, but it's a bummer that our larger AC isn't cooling and can only act to add some air pressure into the racetrack ducting.

The camper will be out here until Thursday, and I'll have to get it in the shop to get checked out when we get it back to Lubbock.

Do you guys think it's a refrigerant leak? It was working great at PDI but has sat in covered storage for several months since then and has had time to leak down if that's what it is. Unfortunately we don't have a way to plug in and check function before heading out as we only have 110 at the storage.

Anything to check while we are here? Thanks.
Silver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
TGal

The first thing I alway check on A/C problems is the capacitor. If you have a good multi meter turn it to micro ferrds. It will tell you the range on the side of the cspictor. Or they are not much at the shop maybe 15 to 20 dollars. A mother thing that I ran into last year at state park that was full was low voltage. My front a/c A/C and fridge would not cool. Voltage was 109/122. I have a 50 amp service do I moved the service to the other side of the power plug with a new male and female plug. This is just a few things try look at.
TGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Silver_

Thanks, Tgal. We are already back and I have an appointment to drop it off in early June. Luckily we are only heading to CO where the heat won't be as bad between now and then.

We were using an EMS, and everything checked out on the park's side. The compressor was pulling amps as expected as well, but wasn't getting cool. I'll let the service department figure it out for now since it's brand new.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
TGal

If you have good voltage and good current (amps) what I said problem not your problem. Good luck and let us know what they say
TGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Silver, which dealer do you use?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Silver_

We really only have 2 in town and only one Keystone dealer, so we use the one where we bought the rv: camping world. They've got a great lead tech there, but don't know much else. We will see how they do.