Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Reddog757152

Cable TV

I'm sure this has been addressed many times, but what is the most economical way to receive cable TV when on the road?
Reddog757152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're moving from location to location then you're not going to be able to get conventional cable TV until you're in one location.

Sometimes you can find campgrounds with cable access. Some are free, some charge a fee to "rent the cable box" (decoder) and some look at you like you're from another planet if you ask about cable availability.

Many have satellite TV, some stream from their own internet access (don't count on any campground having enough bandwidth for you to use their system).

Many (maybe even most) rely on OTA TV if the campground doesn't have cable or satellite access at each site.

Once you get to a place you'll be "stationary" for a few weeks, often there's cable availability at campground sites, but it is up to you to contract for service with the local cable company. Many have a "campground special" and will allow you to contract on a monthly basis.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:04 AM   #3
Roscommon48

too open of a question. you mean dry camping? at park? what?

satellite would be the best if dry campging and have 120 voltage. get a winegard traveler and put on your trailer...only $2200.

if in campground, if they have cable tv, that's it.

otherwise, off air antenna if your tv works.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Reddog757152

Cable TV

My question is, campgrounds say they have Cable TV, but what do you have to do to recieve it. I'm assuming I need to contact the local cable provider for a box, of spend a bunch of money on a satellite system. Correct?
Reddog757152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog757152 View Post
My question is, campgrounds say they have Cable TV, but what do you have to do to recieve it. I'm assuming I need to contact the local cable provider for a box, of spend a bunch of money on a satellite system. Correct?
Any campgrounds we have stayed at with cable tv usually have an outlet at the power pedestal to attach a coaxial cable to your RV. Turn off your booster and do a channel search and you should be good to go.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #6
jsmith948

Most of the parks in which we have stayed have free cable - just connect your camper to the cable jack on the pedestal and run a scan. However, we sometimes wonder if it is even worth the effort. The cable offered by the campground is far from premium level - usually just the local channels with maybe a news and movie channel thrown in. The programs contained in the offered channels never seem to be what we see at home. Not always, but, most times. But, it is something to watch if the weather forces us inside.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog757152 View Post
Keep a length of coax in the camper. On the outside of the camper there will be a female F connector in the convenience center if so equipped or somewhere on the exterior of camper. It usually has a nylon or rubber cap over it and will look like a miniature water inlet when capped. The park pedestal should have a female F connector that may be under the cover where the 120V electrical breakers and receptacles are or may be outside of the box secured to the pole. If you van't find it ask the office where it's located. Connect those 2 F connectors with your cable. Turn off the antenna amplifier if so equipped, change the tv to cable tuning, scan for channels. Don't get your hopes up on watching must as most cable systems on campgrounds are very basic, no HD, no premium channels.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
travelin texans

After 10 years full-timing we found that the majority of park cable systems were severally lacking, we usually got more channels with better picture quality from our antenna (Winegard batwing). If you're a tv junky & have to watch "Judge Judy at 3" everyday you could check out the portable satellite systems, not quite as pricey as the mounted ones.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable