Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

Storing tools for the RV

We all know how important it is to carry tools so we can modify and fix any issues with our RV. What is the best place to store the toola' in RV or in the truck (also the tow vehicle). I keep mine in a toolbox in the bed to the truck as when I have the RV I tow it with the truck. What does everyone else do/ prefer?
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
bfam5

Depends on the tool. If it's specific to the trailer, like the WD hitch, it stays in the trailer. Otherwise it gets shoved under the rear seats in the truck.

2017 Springdale 260TBWE
2009 Rockwood HW276 (sold)
2006 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 6.5' bed
bfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Hankster

With our half ton truck we're almost at our max GVW , so I usually put anything needed in the pass through in the nose. I figure it puts at least some of the weight on the trailer axles instead of the truck axles.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a dedicated tool set for the trailer. I keep it in the front storage area of the fifth wheel in a canvas tool bag. There also are several "tools" that don't fit the tool bag, the saws, hydraulic bottle jack, torque wrench, ladder, Snap-On wrench/socket set (in its own plastic molded case). Those types are "stacked" behind/beside the canvas bag. I've got a piece of OSB that's wedged into the front compartment, more as a divider between the tool storage area and the blocks/chocks storage area which shares the front compartment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I have most tools in the truck, extra jack, lug wrench, sockets, mis. hand tools.
In the trailer only a few tools such as screw driver and bits to fit, socket for the jacks and water heater, the cordless drill and cordless light. The tire blocks, tongue jack stand and WDH parts are kept in the storage space when not used.
I use truck much more than RV and think it's best to have tools in it and if pulling the trailer the truck is close by. I do have some fix or repair parts that are only for the trailer and those stay in the trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
k94x4

I keep a set if tools in the trailer as I don't have a need for much in my Excursion. I keep them in the front storage compartment so I can access them if needed while traveling.
k94x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
ADQ K9

Most trailer specific tools are kept in a Rubbermaid Action Packer tote in the front storage. I have dedicated 200 pc set in its own case that bounces from truck to trailer if needed and another larger Action Packer that carries the jack and larger items in the back of the truck.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
Roscommon48

both places. get a truck tool box for truck and tool box for the trailer.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Bisjoe

I have a tool box for the trailer with sockets and the usual, plus replacement water heater plug and wrench, screws and washers, and a set of various driver bits. Then I also have a torque wrench for the wheels, and my cordless drill while on the trip. My truck has some tools also.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #10
Kanadakid

Fun Question. I bought a dedicated toll set from Harbor Freight for $38.00. It is frequently on sale for around $29.00. It has its own very good carry case and tools stay put. It has an amazingly decent selection of tools and take up very little room. I keep it in the pass-through storage compartment.
Kanadakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
1st Chev Diesel

I have an under the bed rail tool box. It sits in front of my 5th wheel slidder hitch. Tonneau cover rolls over the tool box and the hitch and I lock the tail gate handle. Carry all my tools there as I want the weight of the tools out of the trailer
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
newemptynester

My DH keeps dedicated trailer tools in the trailer. My brother-in-law bought him a set when we went to leave Indy one year and had to delay our departure because he needed his truck fixed (had to drop the gas tank to repair it). So, we now have a nice set of tools that stays in the storage area for the trailer.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
xrated

Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
Bullet Boy

I keep a medium sized tool bag with different size channel locks, screwdrivers, impact driver attachments and misc bits and other hand tools under the dining seat with a small ratchet kit. In my front pass through I keep a cordless drill and impact driver (18v Mikita) and I use that for my stabilizer jacks and misc. I also keep a bottle jack, splitting axe and a misc parts bag. I probably carry an extra fifty pounds because of tool and misc but one this is for sure, you never know what your going to come up against while out camping and cruising. I’m prepared to handle most situations without being at the mercy of someone else ready to stick it to me...... I pull a 2015 Bullet 248rks and we sleep around!!!!!
Bullet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
ADQ K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
So is this in the front of the garage? Nice, I assume there are motorcycle tools in there too.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
Bullet Boy

That’s the way to do it when you got a toy hauler!!!!��
Old 06-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
MVBrown

I store my small RV tool box in the pass thru, and take them out when back home. However I also have a DeWalt battery powered 1/2" impact and separate DeWalt drill. Along with a Safe Jack. So there is a lot in there. The bigger stuff I keep in a tote in the homes closet up front.
MVBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
So is this in the front of the garage? Nice, I assume there are motorcycle tools in there too.
Yes, a variety of tools, both metric and standard. Two Yamahas, a FZ07 or my wife and a FZ09 for me....all metric obviously. Two Cannondale bikes so metric again. The standard tools are mostly for the trailer and the truck. Garage is 12 1/2' long, so both motorcycle fit comfortably as well as the bikes and a cart for the puppy.

Here is another pic of the same area....the front part of the garage on the driver side wall. Gladiator brand shelf/hook board with a basket, a big hook for cords and air hose, and a couple of bins for air chuck, blow gun, extra valve cores and caps, etc. One of the ladders is mounted overhead with the quick fist mini clamps, keeps it out of the way when not in use...
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #19
Bullet Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Yes, a variety of tools, both metric and standard. Two Yamahas, a FZ07 or my wife and a FZ09 for me....all metric obviously. Two Cannondale bikes so metric again. The standard tools are mostly for the trailer and the truck. Garage is 12 1/2' long, so both motorcycle fit comfortably as well as the bikes and a cart for the puppy.

Here is another pic of the same area....the front part of the garage on the driver side wall. Gladiator brand shelf/hook board with a basket, a big hook for cords and air hose, and a couple of bins for air chuck, blow gun, extra valve cores and caps, etc. One of the ladders is mounted overhead with the quick fist mini clamps, keeps it out of the way when not in use...
That’s an awesome set up..... being prepared is half the battle. My Wife laughs and says “One more thing “,,,I’m always buying something for the TT. I’m going make a slide out bin carrier for the pass through, and a hanging rack for the Weber Q grill/stand and plastic folding tables I keep on board. I was keeping a bin of 6”x6” and 4”x4” pieces for jack stands ect., replacing with all plastic, durable and much lighter. Bin storage works well and keeps everything organized. Just like a house, maintenance and upkeep is a must. Happy camper is one who loves to travel and one who is intentional about PM and up keep!!!!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
goodellj

Tools are heavy. I have weighed my truck and trailer together, truck alone, and trailer alone, and found that the truck has a lot of extra capacity. I bought the biggest tool box I could find for the truck bed to hold all all the tools and anything else I could fit, like a 50lb bag of kitty litter!). The tool box fits under the rails and allows me to use a tonneau cover when not towing. I am finding that I have to be careful about adding anything heavy to the trailer and the truck tool box give me extra flexibility.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote