Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Miles65

252RL: Terrible insulation!

My new 252RL is keeping me busy. I have found that the outer walls are terribly insulated. In 95F weather, the inside paneling gets very warm/hot to the touch. The cushions in the booth seating get hot. What the heck? Is there any insulation in these things? Has anyone in here opened the interior side of the exterior walls and added insulation? I insulated my old Prowler and it made a big difference. I kind of hate to think about opening the walls on a brand new unit, though. Again, anyone who has insulated a Keystone, please give me some input, here. Thanks!
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your exterior walls are Filon, then you can’t “open up” the interior walls. The walls are sandwiched together with rigid styrofoam type material and it’s all “vacuum bonded”. Exterior color will play a big roll in how much the interior heats up. It’s not just Keystone that uses this type of construction, it is industry standard.

Best advise I can offer is try park to minimize exposure to the sun, early start with the AC and keep shades down in the heat of the day. I have used windshield foil shades on windows in direct sun and they have helped.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You're not going to get much insulation in a 2"? wall no matter what you do....that is the nature of a travel trailer...always has been. Exterior colors then play a huge role in how much heat is generated. You can mitigate the heat in many ways but trying to "deconstruct" a filon wall to add insulation is a bad idea.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Alpine

To aid in cooling your RV.... use these vent covers on your floor vents. No sense in cooling your under the floor ducting. And If you have a cold air return to the furnace, may as well cover that too! It helps us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	17211  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote