Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #1
gearhead

Happy San Jacinto Day!

April 21, 1836 the rag tag volunteer Army of Texas defeated the army of Mexico lead by Santa Anna. Although very outnumbered, the battle lasted only 18 minutes. Shouting "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad" the volunteers took litte mercy, executing most Mexican soldiers as they tried to surrender.
I had 2 relatives there. My cousin David Miles Cole was in the party of 5 Texans that captured Santa Anna. They didn't know who he was until he was brought to camp and the other prisoners shouted "El Presidente".
My 4th great grandfather James Cole III was stated to be the oldest soldier and was left to guard baggage. He died the next year at 75 years of age.
God bless Texas.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Happy San Jacinto Day as well!!

I don't know of any family ties to the event as you have (my folks were still in TN at the time as best I know - unless one of them took off with Davy Crockett). We did however get to TX around the turn of the century (1900).
The events leading to the siege of the Alamo and the subsequent defeat of Santa Anna are quite an amazing tale. I've read, and own, many books on the subject; it's very interesting to me. Thanks for reminding me!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
gearhead

If you haven't read"THREE ROADS TO THE ALAMO" by William C Davis, I highly recommend it. Not much about the Alamo, it's a biography of Crockett, Travis, and Bowie, and a good one. Disregard the references to my family! LOL
My folks were in Gallatin Tennessee around 1800-1810, before they went to Opelousas, Louisiana.
My first ancestor in Texas was 1819, Aaron Cherry, in Liberty County.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote