Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Joe592

Refrigerator running while in storage ideas

I am about to move my trailer to a storage facility. Before i would have it plugged in through the summer keeping the fridge cold between weekend trips. Now i am looking at other ways has anyone tried. Also this is outdoor lot storage. Only one original battery. Usually go camping every 2 weeks.

1. Running on propane while being stored. Using trailer battery or solar for fridge controls. If so how much propane do you use?

2. Solar panels, more batteries, inverter to 120 just for fridge.

Thanks
Joe592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Javi

Our storage facility has 20amp service for $10 a month extra and covered storage for a total of $86.50 a month... worth every penny, considering the maintenance costs it saves.

Maybe you could find a similar facility.
Javi
Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your problem won't be propane use, rather it will be battery drain from not only the refrigerator circuits but also from all the "phantom drains" on the battery. The back light in the radio, the memory circuit in the radio, the propane detector, carbon monoxide detector and the TV antenna amplifier to name a few. You may have many others in your trailer. The biggest user of electricity "within the refrigerator" is the door gasket heater circuit. On most Dometic refrigerators, that circuit does not have a switch and is on 24/7. Otherwise, the control board in refrigerators is very "stingy" on electrical use. There are several forum threads in years past that detail modifications on how to disable the "condensation control" heaters and some even include a switch to allow operation when using full hookups and eliminate the drain when dry camping.

As for propane use, we regularly camp all summer on a 30 pound propane bottle. That includes cooking, water heating and refrigerator use. The biggest propane user is the furnace, if it's off next is the water heater. In actual use, the refrigerator's propane consumption is very small. If you open the rear vent on the refrigerator, remove the burner box cover, you'll see that the propane flame that "operates the refrigerator cooling system" is really not much larger than a pilot flame on any "standing propane system pilot". That flame uses very little propane, even in constant use, but when the refrigerator is not being opened frequently, the cooling system only functions a few hours daily. At other times, there's no flame and no propane use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
notanlines

Joe, this may not help you because I have two batteries, but when I needed to be away for about two weeks I opened the fuse box and took out every 12V fuse except the one that controls the refrigerator. Worked like a champ. And there was plenty of juice left to raise the trailer so I could get back under it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
Joe592

Thank you JRTJH
Like you said I also go a whole year on 1 20lb tank for everything. but i am plugged in most of the time except traveling. I will look into the mod of the fridge. I was unaware of the door gasket heater and realized i would have other devices drawing also.

Thanks Notanlines or the input.
I was thinking along the same thing of switching off everything but the fridge. But glad to see it will maintain the fridge for 2 weeks. So I guess you let it run on propane for the 2 weeks then?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Depending on how close your camper is located to you, it may be easier to go a day early and turn it on to start cooling before you leave on a trip than to keep it running all the time. Just a thought.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
Joe592

I did find this info about the heater strip located between the fridge and freezer

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...+switch&page=4

Yes it would be easy for me top run over and turn it on a day early. I can see the storage unit from my house so its not a big hassle. just takes awhile to cool off so i always left water bottles in the fridge and kept it plugged in.

Thanks all
Old 03-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
notanlines

Yes, it was about 12 days actually, but only on propane.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage