Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
sandy43

Propane furnace question ?

Reference my Keystone. IF I was to lose electrical power would the furnace continue to operate as normal? Expecting a big cold front with teen temps and strong winds, therefore I'm concerned. I seem to have misplaced the manual on the furnace. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
P.S. It's a Suburban furnace in a 2012 Alpine.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Jim & DJ

Not sure but probably until your batteries give out....
Merry Christmas anyway.

Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your furnace will operate as long as there is enough "juice" to spin the fan fast enough to trip the "sail switch". The sail switch is a simple on/off switch that has a long tab (sail). The force of the air will hold the switch in the closed position (on) allowing the gas valve to open and send gas to the burner. If the fan doesn't spin fast enough the switch won't allow gas flow. Kind of a neat safety if you think about it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Your furnace operates on propane and 12VDC so it doesn't need 120VAC to function. It will run providing the batteries have sufficient charge in them to keep the system working. Over time, the furnace draw on the batteries will deplete the charge and your furnace will not function any longer.

Set the thermostat so that the furnace will come on enough just to keep your pipes from freezing ---- assuming that you haven't winterized it yet. Open any bottom cupboard doors that have water lines running into or through the cupboard to allow any warm air to reach the lines.

If you've properly winterized your RV, then you shouldn't have to bother with providing any heat inside the unit.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
hankaye

sandy43, Howdy;

As the others have mentioned, the furnace runs off of battery power (12vdc).
Make sure all of the cells are topped off (to the bottom of the fill neck of each one),
and they have a way to be re-charged in case your 120vac power is interrupted.
I've used a jump start hook-up from my truck to re-charge mine when I lived in
Utah and we lost 120vac power. If you have a generator, you can use that to
create enough 120vac for the RV's system to do it's job.
Hope that helps.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
Sulphur1

Loss of battery power will cause the gas supply solenoid to close and shut down the furnace. As mentioned at the same time the secondary safety sail switch will also operate to cause the gas valve to close due to the 12v fan not supplying air to the burner.
For the same reasons the furnace will also not re-light.
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote