Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
bsmith0404

Don't Forget The Swing!!

It has been mentioned on this forum many times for good reason. Well tonight I witnessed it again. I was approaching a gas station and saw a Dodge 3500 DRW with a nice newer model Montana at the pumps. Next thing I know he is pulling away and cutting a hard corner. I saw it coming and there was nothing I could do to stop him. The back of the 5er swung around, narrowly missing the pump, but catching the safety post at the end. Nearly tore the entire back cap off the coach. Pulled the back cap out so far that the insulation was hanging out and all of the taillight wires were pulled out. Even the main power line cord was ripped out and dragging on the ground. The best part about this incident, there was absolutely no reason for it to happen. The gas station had more than enough room if he had turned the other direction and circled around instead of cutting a tight 180 degree turn.

Just can't say it enough, give yourself plenty of room to maneuver, and DON'T FORGET THE SWING. The more distance behind the axles, the wider the swing when turning.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
glenalt

Man, that's painful to read and I bet more so to see. It's easy to forget if ya get into a hurry. Hope his ins is good.
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Yeah, I talked to him for a bit and gave him directions to an RV repair facility and a hotel. He looked pretty sick. Luckily he was on his way home and was only 4 hours away. He can leave it here for repairs and go home if he wants to. If it had been 60 seconds later I may have been able to stop him before it was too late.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
GaryWT

Ouch, had to hear about these things. It is easy to watch what is on the inner turn but so easy to forget what can happen on the outer swing, thanks for the reminder.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
byrdr1

I hate to hear this, BUT I have about beat myself to make sure I remember this tail swing deal..
Backing into my driveway and now my RVport I have to really remember all these things. Swing pulling out and side to side movement backing in. The wife doesn't get into the truck until I am about halfway into the road, this is to make sure I dont tail swing into the tree right beside RVport pulling out. Its got limited days left once spring gets here.. or late winter we'll see.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
ncgrl1

Thanks for the post. Good reminder!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Great post and great reminder! Sad note about the accident. I always have a hard time remembering the outside swing I guess because I'm staring in the mirror watching the inside...Thanks!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
BirchyBoy

Have you guys either driven a car with a 360 degree camera system, or seen a commercial for one? That would be an ideal system for camper, especially on the outside corner.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
BulletOwner1

I witnessed a similar incident in a grocery store parking lot. Guy with a motor home parked close to the store in the typical fashion taking up the two facing parking slots. Went to pull out (with cars parked on either side) and swung the tail right into the car next to him. If he had just parked out away from the store where there was lots of space, no problem ! But no, he's got to park up where all the cars are. You HAVE to be aware of where you are at!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Ram189

I had a guy swing the back of his cargo rack into the back of my truck at a racetrack camp ground/lot one time. My truck was parked right on the road he swung the corner and we hear a bang and scrap. I walk following him to his spot and tell him he hit my truck.
That is where the argument with a drunk guy started. He had been tipping a few and started arguing with me. I walked away and got security and the police involved.
An hour later he was as sweet as pie to me and very willing to work out the problem and insurance information.

Same thing though. Pay attention to your surroundings and you should be find.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
buckeyebobhockingcamper

as i pulled into my tight 90 degree pullthru in the keys last winter a guy was parked parrallel on road and i looked in mirror and had lots of clearance,until i turned hard!!!he had unloaded his truck camper and the front of my bumper on trailer caught a tie down bracket sticking out of his bumper,his whole truck was jumping up and down according to one of my travelling companions!!!!all it did was rip my rubber sewer cap and straighten his bracket out!! i thought i had ripped my camper up big time,the morel is even when yer tired,dont let yer male pride get in your way,i should have gotten out and looked,he offered to move truck but i said nah i got it!!!WATCH THE SWING!!!!!
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
wesaysoracing

don't forget to look up too, my dw was spotting for me backing into the back yard, and I caught the eve of the house
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
denverpilot

Some guy did a u-turn with a long flatbed trailer in front of me a couple of nights ago. He was in a left turn lane but the aft end of his trailer wasn't once he started the turn.

Debated running into it just to annoy him.

Decided new tires for my truck and an alignment weren't how I wanted to spend the holidays.

Mr Grinch in my head didn't win, and I hit the brakes.