Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
charlesrv2

LED conversion with M4 ?

I have a 2013 Cougar 26bhs TT and am planing to convert to LED inside the trailer. Like many others I'm researching and found M4 company to be interesting, specifically the wedge base natural 17s. Would appreciate any input. thanks
charlesrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
No K or I

I am buying all replacement LED's through M4 for inside and outside my trailer. M4 is more expensive than what you can find on Ebay but I prefer the peace of mind with dealing with a known distributor. Under $300.00 to change every bulb out.
No K or I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I changed out all of the incandescent bulbs in my Springdale in 2010 with LED's from EBay for less than $80. No failures of any LED in the 3+ years until we traded it. I then ordered LED's from EBay for the Cougar for less than $100. No failures in 2 camping seasons (about 15 months). They cost even less no than they did in 2013.

It is up to each individual to determine how much they wish to spend, but spending 3 times as much for the same product??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
kampfitt

M4 led's

I also went with M4 I liked the choices and the service from the company. $200 for all bulbs inside and out. Not Bad, also really like the whiter light.also just got 200 watt portable solar setup for more back country camping!
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I changed out all of the incandescent bulbs in my Springdale in 2010 with LED's from EBay for less than $80. No failures of any LED in the 3+ years until we traded it. I then ordered LED's from EBay for the Cougar for less than $100. No failures in 2 camping seasons (about 15 months). They cost even less no than they did in 2013.

It is up to each individual to determine how much they wish to spend, but spending 3 times as much for the same product??
X2...Also went the ebay route. Still working just fine. The prices on some of these online retailers is crazy. I have over 30 bulbs in the interior alone. I wasn't going to be spending $7-$17 a bulb when I could get the same thing on ebay for $1.50.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
locomech

LED lights...

I recently changed out all my interior bulbs with LED's from Amazon.

2 x GRV T10 921 194 24-3528 SMD LED Bulb lamp Super Bright Warm White DC 12V Pack of 10
Sold by GRV-LED
Condition: New

$23.28

They're bright and easy to install. I just returned from a two week trip and had no issues with them. They are made in China, so the jury is still out on how long they'll last.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Did all of mine for under $50 and have spares left over. Only had one fail. Have both soft and bright lights. Bright in the kitchen, bathroom and anywhere I read, softer everywhere else.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
I recently changed out all my interior bulbs with LED's from Amazon.

2 x GRV T10 921 194 24-3528 SMD LED Bulb lamp Super Bright Warm White DC 12V Pack of 10
Sold by GRV-LED
Condition: New

$23.28

They're bright and easy to install. I just returned from a two week trip and had no issues with them. They are made in China, so the jury is still out on how long they'll last.
About a year ago we had a thread that lasted for several pages about how much cheaper it was to use windshield washer fluid at $1.88 a gallon vs RV antifreeze at $2.49 a gallon, so there are a number of "frugal" members on this forum. (I am one of them).... Saving money isn't just a "smart thing to do", but for me, a "competitive thing to do".... I look for bargains, enjoy saving money (so I can buy more "stuff") and feel like I was "taken advantage of" if I buy something for $10 and find it in the next store for $4.99.... Just me, but I know lots of members feel the same.....

As for "Made in China", all LED's are made either in China or Malaysia. Some of the "expensive LED fixtures" are "assembled in the US" but they are "assembled with components from China or Malaysia, so the "quality" is pretty much the same with either the "high priced spread" or with the "bargain basement buy"..... For me, I'll take the "bargain basement buy", thank you....

I think the biggest issue most buyers have with ordering from EBay or Amazon.com is not knowing what they are looking for. LED's come in a number of colors, from almost blue to warm yellow and in a number of levels of brightness. Ordering the wrong thing can be frustrating and lead the novice to thinking, "EBay stuff is junk" or thoughts along that line. When in actuality, if anyone orders what they really want, they almost always get the "right LED's" for the job. The "secret to success" for places like SuperBrite and M4 LED's is that they take the "guesswork" out of buying LED's by only offering the 4 or 5 "commonly desired" LED assemblies that RV owners use and eliminating the other hundred thousand plus choices available on EBay or Amazon.com.... For the knowledgeable buyer, the bargains are there without the frustration of buying "purple LED's that are too dim to use" or buying "Orange LED's that make everything seem like sunset" or "So blue that they give me a headache"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote