Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
RedRover

Cougar link to answer question

I have a technical question about my new Cougar and request an internet link to the manufacturer. I feel sure that info must be in my owners manual but the sun is not up yet and it's 5 degrees here. Much easier to ask my new found friends on the Keystone Forum.
My question concerns size of the galley tank on the 2014 Cougar 313 RLI. Sales literature indicates 76 gal. grey water storage. I was surprised to learn, upon delivery last week, that the grey water is divided between galley and bathroom and the prominently labeled GREY/BLACK remote valve handles do not control the galley. The galley tank valve handle is inboard about 3 foot from the trailer side and will require kneeling on the ground to access. Poor design on this new model. Maybe the wife will volunteer to crawl under the trailer at those wet dump stations and activate that valve for me ---- NOT.
RedRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
KanTC

RedRover,

RV Owner's Manuals are not typically model/brand specific, they're rather generic & cover basic information.

From the Cougar specs page: 38 gal tanks are a common size among the current Cougar line, [313RLI black tank is
also 38 gal], so chances are your 2 gray tanks are also 38 gal each. http://www.keystonerv.com/cougar/#/specs
Keystone Customer Service http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service

The inconvenient (& separate) galley tank valve isn't exclusive to the 313RLI... it's inconveniently located on
other models & brands too. Similar location on our previous 5th wheel, so DH used a plastic-covered stadium
seat cushion to kneel on (wet ground). The plastic can be cleaned (ex: anti-bacterial wipes) after use.

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Another alternative to crawling on the ground under an RV at a wet dump station is to use the awning pull rod (the one with a loop on one end), reach under the RV and hook the loop on the dump valve, pull to open, then when empty, hook it again and push to close. If you don't have (or can't find) the awning pull rod, a broom handle with a zip-tie looped on the end and held in place with another zip-tie will do the same thing.

It seems that Keystone is "great" about locating one of the dump valves away from the "center of attention" with the rest of the valves. Unfortunately, it's not just a Keystone design issue. Many competitor brands also locate valves in awkward places.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
RedRover

KanTC is correct! Keystone verified that all three waste tanks are 38 gallons each. Reduces their inventory I suppose.
My gallery slide valve direction is vertical. Thinking about cutting a slot in the end of some 1 1/2 inch PVC plastic pipe to open from a distance. Just one of the things that makes RV'ing fun is solving these little problems.
RedRover is offline   Reply With Quote