Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
AnolaBob

Flooring cracked

Greetings,
We had snow last night so camping fever is killing me. I went to have a look at our Sydney this morning and noticed the vinyl flooring had cracked and lifted from the back door to the stairs. Also the smaller piece around the upstairs bathroom has split.
I want to replace it with something more solid that will stand up to the traffic and also provide some support around the three floor vents, which are also pretty mushy.
Any suggestions on a good flooring?
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Larimie Longhorn
2013 Can Am 1000 XMR, T4S tracks and 2011 XTP quads, snow plow
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502
Bud and Blu, the black dogs
AnolaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
mowin

If you have mushy floors, you might want to repair them first. Also find out why they are mushy. Fix any leaks that may have caused the weak areas.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
AnolaBob

I should be more clear. The vent areas themselves have been weakened by the movement of the vent covers and the lack of solid wood support around the vent holes. I will rebuild those areas
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Why not reinforce the sub-floor after you remove the old flooring?

Then you've got your choice of materials, styles, and colors. And you are not expecting the vinyl or whatever to support the vent covers.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
AnolaBob

I should be more clear. The vent areas themselves have been weakened by the movement of the vent covers and the lack of solid wood support around the vent holes. I will rebuild those areas prior to the installation of the flooring.
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnolaBob View Post
I should be more clear. The vent areas themselves have been weakened by the movement of the vent covers and the lack of solid wood support around the vent holes. I will rebuild those areas prior to the installation of the flooring.
OK, you've got a world of flooring choices then. Vinyl is always good. Since it is a relatively small area, even the high end stuff would not cost very much. Color and texture and design is a personal decision. Personally, I'd be looking at the Armstrong middle grades.

Square vinyl tiles are OK, especially for DIY, but they tend lift around the edges over time. Not my choice at all, but some DIYers swear by them in RV's.

Some of the laminate flooring choices would be real good, provided you can install it without issues involving the slides. Laminate is easy to DIY, but stay away from the nail down or glue together versions. Snap together floating is the way to go.

And there is always carpeting. Not my choice for the entry way, but that's a personal choice again. If I was doing carpeting, I'd stay away from shags, at least in the living areas. Either real short fibers or high end indoor/outdoor would be my choice. Bedrooms might get something plusher and more cushioned.

All of this stuff is readily available at any home improvement or flooring store.

I'd step up to better quality floor vents, too. If you can't find the exact right size at a home improvement center, consider something close. You're going to be tearing out the old vinyl and rebuilding the subfloor around the vents anyway so if you had to resize the openings a bit to accommodate something you really like, I don't see any reason you should not do that. I am going to replace all the floor vents in the Cougar this year. The cheapie stamped ones are not kind to bare feet and they tend to bend almost immediately.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
AnolaBob

Thanks Steve,
I'm not really fond of vinyl, maybe I haven't seen real good vinyl but I really like the idea of using a floating laminate floor. I think that's the route to take as you said it's not a lot of space to cover and the only obstacle is the bathroom door. If I remember it has a pretty good gap for venting on the bottom so there is room for the additional height of the flooring. And if I buy enough of it, I could turn it into a DIY.
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502