Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
fly723

Fuzion 342 Temp Question

Hello all. We just took delivery of our new Fuzion 342. During the walk through the dealer suggested that 20 degrees was the limit before the unit would freeze up. Now, we have the monster package with the blizzard upgrade, full covered undercarriage and underside water tank heaters.

Now you can hit 20 degrees overnight in the rockies in June. Can someone please help me understand if 20 degrees is the limit on the unit or did we get some overly conservative information?

Thank you.
fly723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

In Blizzard upgrade:
1) Are the holding tanks also heated or just the fresh water tank? Is the tank heated by 110v?
2) What provisions are there to protect any exposed pipes in the various outside compartments and storage areas?
3) Have you looked inside the covered undercarriage to see what, if any, insulation there is inside this area? I am assuming you are referring to the black coroplast underbelly covering.
4) What extra features does the Blizzard upgrade give you? Bigger R value in the walls and ceiling? Thermopane windows? other???

As you can probably tell, I am skeptical of any RV salesman who tells me that just because it has a Polar/Arctic/ or Blizzard sticker on it that you can take the unit out in prolonged sub-zero (Cel) temperatures and be "comfortable" and not have everything freeze up on you unless your take some extensive precautions. Keystone RV's are designed and built for 3 season camping and may be used for short periods in temperatures in the mid-high teens (Fah). Anything colder than that for longer periods would be a real stretch and also very risky IMO.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Another thing to consider is the amount of time you spend at that '20 degrees'.

Here in OK during the fall/spring, we regularly have 40 degree temp swings. Today is a good example. The overnight low is 23, while this afternoon it will be 60 degrees. In these conditions, the amount of time we spend below freezing is really of no consequence.

Even when we have highs in the 30s and lows in the 20s I pretty much don't worry about it. For the amount of heat present in the basement, we don't spend enough time below freezing in a 24 hour period for me to worry about it.

I begin to worry about it when the day-time high is below freezing for more than a day. Just my 02¢.

BTW.. we have camped where the day-time high was 14 degrees for a day... and then the next day it got up to ~almost~ above freezing.... and it wasn't until the 3rd day that it got even to the mid-30s.

Remember a few things...

a) poopandpee wont freeze a 32 degrees like water does
b) as hard as you try to keep your tank pristine, even gray water is diluted with fats, lipids, detergents, and other "stuff" that will lower the freezing point compared to fresh water.

Go out, have fun... If you're worried, get a set of those remote thermometers - put one in the lowest/coldest point of your basement (remove covers to get near the tanks of necessary) and put one outside on the picnic table.... And keep another in the living room of the RV... That way you'll know for any given outside temp, how warm your tanks will be for the furnace setting.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
crash

And if that dont work ,Find a warmer place to camp,Just kidding.Keep it safe out there.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
KanTC

to the forum fly723,
The enclosed/heated underbelly is a standard feature on the Fuzion, as it is with many of the Keystone
trailers. Heat is supplied (to the underbelly) by the furnace, and only when the furnace is running.

Unless I missed it while reading quickly, the Monster Package does not include "tank heaters".
http://www.keystonerv.com/media/5521...ackage_4pg.pdf

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
flyinguy68

Hi Fly,
I just got a Fuzion 360 in Sept. It has the Blizzard Package which seems to be standard on the Fuzions. This standard package means that the underbelly (plumbing) is enclosed, and that heat is ducted into that underbelly via vents. You can probably see one in your forward cargo area.

It does not mean that the holding tanks have the "optional" heat pads.

That being said, I have been in my Fuzion since December in Southern New Mexico. I have experienced mid teen temps. Everything has been fine, and again I do not have the heating pads. The things I have done are filling my fresh water tank and disconnecting from the city water during freezing temps. I have also for peace of mind purchased a thermometer (indoor/outdoor) and placed the remote outdoor sensor in the cargo area so I could know that the temps there are staying where I need them to be.

IMHO I think you are good to go

'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
dave-g

I have 325srx- it also has the polar package. Camped this past week end and it was 21 degrees when I got up in the am. No problems. But that was just low over night.
I have to say by 1 am - it was in the low 20's and the heater never shut off. It held a set point of 68 but I do not think it could have done much more.

I have heard of people putting some rock salt in the gray/black tanks, I think that would be a cheap insurance policy.

Also the like said above the under belly is heated by the furnace. This is important to remember, if you add any extra heating source
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
T-Bone

I picked up our 2012 Fuzion 315 this past Fall. It had the 2012 Monster package with the "tank heat pads" and thats all it said. So with not wanting to pull the under coverage just yet a quick call to Keystone and I found out that All 3 tanks are wraped with the heat pads.
With that and the furnace heat duct in the sub floor I'd have to assume that the Fuzion would be well off in sub zero temps for more than a few hours. I'll be clearing the snow around it soon and finding out first hand soon.
2009 HD Crossbones
2009 HD Iron
2011 English Bulldog
The wife and
kids stuff
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
to the forum fly723,
The enclosed/heated underbelly is a standard feature on the Fuzion, as it is with many of the Keystone
trailers. Heat is supplied (to the underbelly) by the furnace, and only when the furnace is running.

Unless I missed it while reading quickly, the Monster Package does not include "tank heaters".
http://www.keystonerv.com/media/5521...ackage_4pg.pdf

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
This was cut from the Fuzion main page, it states heat pads not heaters which are on all tanks.

OPTIONS
Fifth Wheel Options
•5500 Watt Generator
•Double Electric Beds with Dual Opposing Sofas
•6pt. Level-Up System
•2nd A/C with Heat Strip
•Dual Pane Windows
•Rear Ramp Patio with Awning
•Heat Pads for Tanks
•Fuzion Full Body Paint
2009 HD Crossbones
2009 HD Iron
2011 English Bulldog
The wife and
kids stuff
Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
flyinguy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
This was cut from the Fuzion main page, it states heat pads not heaters which are on all tanks.

OPTIONS
Fifth Wheel Options
•5500 Watt Generator
•6pt. Level-Up System
•2nd A/C with Heat Strip
•Dual Pane Windows
•Heat Pads for Tanks
•Fuzion Full Body Paint
Tbone these are "OPTIONS", not standard

'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
Old 03-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
flyinguy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

OPTIONS
Fifth Wheel Options
•5500 Watt Generator
•6pt. Level-Up System
•2nd A/C with Heat Strip
•Dual Pane Windows
•Heat Pads for Tanks
•Fuzion Full Body Paint
Tbone these are "OPTIONS", not standard.

Another example from what you posted, "Full Body paint". If you have a white trailer- you do not have full body paint. If its all black or gray then you do.

'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinguy68 View Post
Tbone these are "OPTIONS", not standard
OK guess I should have specified, Those are the "options" wich the "MONSTER" package includes.
So if your fuzion didn't include the 2012 Monster package then yes they would be extra add on's.
2009 HD Crossbones
2009 HD Iron
2011 English Bulldog
The wife and
kids stuff
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
flyinguy68

LOL that explains that. I just have the "Blizzard" package

'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
T-Bone

Even if you had the Monster package I've noticed for the 2013's they no longer list the tank heat pads as one of the inclusions for the FW's. They are however part of the TT Fuzion Monster package? Why I don't know???
2009 HD Crossbones
2009 HD Iron
2011 English Bulldog
The wife and
kids stuff