Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Sydvero

Grey tank leave open or closed

$1.00/year sewer hose budget diugo. Awesome! Any way what do y'all think on leaving Grey tank open or closed when camping. We average 2 to 3 drainings a a day.
Sydvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
therink

I leave my grey tank valve open when hooked to sewer site for duration of stay, then close it day before leaving so I have adequate grey water to flush out hose when dumping black tank upon departure.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
diugo
Permanent User Ban

OK to leave gray valve(s) open while hooked up.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
rrohrer

I also leave my grey open,. then shut it a shower or two before departure and use that water to run after i empty my black tank.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
cmssorrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I leave my grey tank valve open when hooked to sewer site for duration of stay, then close it day before leaving so I have adequate grey water to flush out hose when dumping black tank upon departure.
Steve
I do the same as Steve.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Steve
Exactly what I do.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
rayjoanlough

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydvero View Post
$1.00/year sewer hose budget diugo. Awesome! Any way what do y'all think on leaving Grey tank open or closed when camping. We average 2 to 3 drainings a a day.
Realizing I'm still a newbie but I've hooked up leaving my grey valve closed and dump as needed. IMHO! What say my neighbor to the North-----Mista Festus?
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Mista Festus says.....

Actually, I have done both. If I am staying for a short time (2-3 days) at a site that has hookups, I'll leave all of my valves closed. Two of the valves have easy access but the galley valve is right underneath the slide making it difficult to pull "when needed". We can leave them closed knowing we can get by for a short time without fear of anything "backing up".

Sometimes, it depends upon the campground we are in. In some, using their washroom and/or shower isn't all that pleasant so we end up using our more than usual. However, in most campgrounds, we tend to use their facilities as much as or more than our own. In this case, I just leave everything closed until we pack up and leave and then I dump several buckets of clean water into the toilet before pulling the valve.

Generally, I try to use the build-up of gray water to flush out the sewer hose and the main lines leading to it and then dump the black first then the gray.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
BulletOwner1

I might add a small point - if camping in winter with below freezing temps its better to leave closed and dump when full. During extreme cold ice could form in hose causing blockage. Otherwise I agree with others. Open till just before pulling up stakes.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Mista Festus says.....

Actually, I have done both. If I am staying for a short time (2-3 days) at a site that has hookups, I'll leave all of my valves closed. Two of the valves have easy access but the galley valve is right underneath the slide making it difficult to pull "when needed". We can leave them closed knowing we can get by for a short time without fear of anything "backing up".

Sometimes, it depends upon the campground we are in. In some, using their washroom and/or shower isn't all that pleasant so we end up using our more than usual. However, in most campgrounds, we tend to use their facilities as much as or more than our own. In this case, I just leave everything closed until we pack up and leave and then I dump several buckets of clean water into the toilet before pulling the valve.

Generally, I try to use the build-up of gray water to flush out the sewer hose and the main lines leading to it and then dump the black first then the gray.
Festus, by leaving the Galley Grey Water valve open (mine is under the slide too), is there any danger of black water getting into that tank when you drain the black water periodically?
Don.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
fla-gypsy

I leave it open on FHU sites until the day before the black tank dump.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Outbackmel

grey water

You should have the message. Close it to have flushing capacity. I was impressed recently after 9 nights at a water&elect site in Destin, no issue of capacity. Now bear in mind, we used the clean, air conditioned bath house for the "need" a soapy shower and the Gulf of Mexico ocean and rinse showers a lot. Also washed dishes outside, military style.
Henderson Beach State Park is GREAT! Cannot even see your neighbor! Level sites to
pull thru or back into. $35 a night compared to $135, seven miles east. Super for kids, with own paved trail and private camper's boardwalk. Clean is an understatement!
Book months in advance or forget it!

Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Festus, by leaving the Galley Grey Water valve open (mine is under the slide too), is there any danger of black water getting into that tank when you drain the black water periodically?
Don.
That is my concern. Leave the galley valve open and get poop in the line when I need to drain the black.

I leave all three of mine closed and drain when needed. If I need to drain the black, I drain the shower right after.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
vbortch

I do as many on here, leave gray(s) open until the night before departure. Close the gray(s) until I dumped and flushed the black tank. Open the grays to rinse out the lines and the hose. Works well and the hose alway comes out smelling of a combination body wash/dish soap (better then the other smell). I would agree with others about not dumping black with gray tanks open, to prevent a "backwash" of black tank into the gray(s).
2013 Fuzion 310 Monster Package
vbortch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
Sydvero

Grey tank op or cl

Thank y'all very much. Just as I suspected once again miss Gail is right. I love it when she is right. She is always right. Hey, she can't read this can she? Oopsie already hit send.
Sydvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
audio1der

Thanks all.
I never considered leaving the grey open (until the night before) while staying for extended periods. Our pull handle is under the slide, so that would have helped.
Live and learn for next year...
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #17
GaryWT

We leave our open as it fills within 2 showers and some dishes to the point that we have water in the bathtub. Close it the morning of or night before we leave and we are good for the flush. It is best to have all grey tanks closed when dumping the black, just good practice. Our previous trailer the handles were hard to get to so I had a 4 foor pipe with a hook on the end to open and close the handles, worked well.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
fred1609

I leave the valve closed. Better flush after the black tank is cleaned out.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
macattack

If your coach is equipped with a black water flush system then there is no real reason not to just leave the grey tank valve(s) open. NEVER, however, have any of the grey valves open at the same time as the black tank valve because of the risk of sewage back-flushing into the grey tanks.

On the other hand, I often let water accumulate in the grey tanks a day or so before leaving the campsite as that water does provide an initial flush of the sewer hose after I've dumped the black tank. But I have so far found that the black tank flush system (at least on our Montana) is very effective even though I need to let it run for up to half an hour to get perfectly clear flow. How do I know it's clear? I also have a clear plastic section (about 8" long--can buy then anywhere) in the sewer hose so I can see what's going through. Not always pleasant, but sure is effective.

Bob and Donna
Gettysburg, PA
2012 Montana 3625RE
2010 Ford F350 dually
One Cocker Spaniel, one Tennessee Walker
macattack is offline   Reply With Quote