Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
CCC

CB radio as a gift...family unfriendly?

I was thinking of a fun gift for my hubby for his upcoming <cough>ieth birthday, and thought about getting him a CB radio. He used to have one when he was a teenager and sometimes makes me giggle doing the CB-radio speak he still remembers. I was reading another forum about how handy it is to have a CB to listen to truckers chat about traffic/weather issues on the road ahead and got the brilliant idea to get him a CB radio for the TV to use, especially when we are heading out for a camping excursion.

Then, I read about the foul language etc. you can come across and that times have changed from the Knights of the Road to which old country songs were dedicated. Since we have an 11-year old who'll be in the car listening alongside us, I hate to make this purchase if in that case.

Do any of you have CB radios? If so, is the talk mostly family friendly or trash talk? Thanks for any input.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
jsmith948

Sorry to say, but the 'knights of the road' are gone. The last time I listened to the CB was about ten years ago. I was appalled at the language (at least of those I could understand). I wouldn't want my grandchildren exposed to it. I'm an old trucker, and, I don't want to listen to it!!! FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Jay Pat

It can be horrible, trash talk without warning.
Handy for trafic jams (find out what's going on, the highway).
I keep mine on ch 13 with "ch 13" on rear of trailer so someone with a cb can talk to me if have a problem or just chat....No one has contacted me to chat.

Cash with a hand written gift card note might be better. Just saying.....
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
labs4life

Yep. The CB is a way of the past. Most of the time it is jibberish and foul language. Get him a GPS with traffic alerts and download a good weather app on his phone, these in combination will be much more useful!!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
f6bits

I have a CB, but only for going off roading with my buddies.

I second the vote for GPS w/traffic and a weather app. If he has a smartphone these apps are free or very inexpensive. It's what my wife and I use.

If you still want to play radio, get some FRS Radios for the family. The 11 year old might enjoy it too.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Jim Dow

Wazer

You might want to try WAZER along with the GPS and weather radio. WAZER is the "good buddy" of the current decade. It's either free or nearly free on the iPhone. WAZER "buddies" update traffic conditions in real time as they travel along; and you are always tracking along on the GPS-like map showing your own progress. It's interactive, so the grandkids feel it's like a video game. You earn points for making reports - instant gratification.

Try it; you'll like it.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
DieselMatt

I as well only have the CB to talk with buddies on the road while traveling to and from events. Outside of that it is never even turned on. I've tried a few times to get info on traffic jams and I've received no helpful responses. That said, I would recommend finding a different gift. I do think it is great that you still pay close enough attention to him to even think about this gift though!

TV - 2006 F250
TH - 2008 Fuzion 362

DieselMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post
You might want to try WAZER along with the GPS and weather radio. WAZER is the "good buddy" of the current decade. It's either free or nearly free on the iPhone. WAZER "buddies" update traffic conditions in real time as they travel along; and you are always tracking along on the GPS-like map showing your own progress. It's interactive, so the grandkids feel it's like a video game. You earn points for making reports - instant gratification.

Try it; you'll like it.
I certainly hope that when making those reports people stop the truck, type in the report, then get back on the road. There's a lot to be said about not texting and driving.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
crash

We have a set of the hand held ones and give one to our camping friend when travleing (its easier to call them on it then on the phone if we have a problem or need an emergancy pit stop)
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

I have had CB in every truck I've owned since the '60s. Before cell phones it was an important tool while traveling, especially in rural areas. I still use it to talk with friends traveling with us and at rallies. I only turn it on if traffic is backing up on interstates for real time reports. Most traffic reports on GPS systems are broadcast from local FM stations and sometimes can be hours old or predicted from daily trends. YES the language can be horrible and a big drawback if traveling with children. If you do get one be sure to get one with WX for local NOAA weather reports and warnings, I use this much more than CB channels. JM2˘, "Keep the shiny side up", Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
EricLynnAllison

I'm same as above. Wouldn't be without one just in an emergency. Cell phone coverage isn't 100%. Highway Patrol still monitors channel 9.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLynnAllison View Post
I'm same as above. Wouldn't be without one just in an emergency. Cell phone coverage isn't 100%. Highway Patrol still monitors channel 9.
I did not know that.

With such a variety of answers, maybe I better just ask my hubby if he wants one or not. Sounds like we couldn't just have it on rolling down the road when the little one is on board, though.

I also didn't know about WAZAR, and I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

Tags
cb radio, radio