Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Daryl

Wink

Had a 2011 303tg that we pulled with a F250. Even with this truck, sway was always an issue. Personally, I think the length of this camper gives it an inherent tendency to sway. Dealer installed a Husky W/D set up using friction plates, which bordered on the verge of uncontrollable. Upgraded to the Reese cam like you have which made a nice improvement, but still swayed in winds and the passing of 18 wheelers. My next step was the Hensley hitch but never got there since we ended up trading for the same floor plan in a fifth wheel.
I did a lot of research on the Hensley along with their competition, which I found were related if not identical products, and talked to various owners that had used the product with great success. Again, not cheep, but cheaper than a upgrade on a truck.
Another thing that might be worth investigating would be putting air bags on the rear of the truck. These will not increase the towing capacity of the truck, but do help stiffen the rear end up as well as help in keeping the truck and trailer level during tow. I know this is what the weight distribution hitch does, but this trailer has a heavy tongue weight, thus putting a lot of downward force on then rear end of the truck. I noticed a more stable an less bouncy ride when installed on my F250. I found, and almost everyone else here will probably agree, your best and most stable ride will occur when the trailer is level while attached to the truck and equal distribution of weight exist between both axles on the trailer. Airbags greatly helped in this area.
The 303tg is a really nice camper, and I remember the frustration I had with ours initially with the sway issue. I hope you find a comfortable solution so you can enjoy your new rig.
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
TrailBlazer

I am towing a 303tg with a ram 1500 and a equalizer hitch. Straight as an arrow no sway doing 65 in the right lane, even with semis going by. I would bet the hitch wasn't set up properly. Tires and a bigger truck don't solve a sway problem if the hitch isn't set up right. I feel safe towing my 8000lb trailer with this truck!
TrailBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote