Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Greysquirrel

Completed 2000 mile maiden trip.

Just go back from our trip to Key West, had no real problems, towed well, no flat tires, only had a couple of thing go wrong, nothing serious, and a realization.
First a real odd thing happened, our smoke alarm is too sensitive, but better that than not working. We can't even boil water without a lid without it going off. We ended up hanging it outside on the grab handle as opposed to removing the batteries every time we wanted to cook something.
The second thng we had go wrong is the door strut, we were sitting outside with the door open and the screen door closed and a breeze came up, not a gust of wind but a fairly strong breeze and hit the door and the door strut came out of the fitting on the door sill, stripped the threads, probably can be fixed with some gap filling epoxy something like GB weld, The dealer will take care of it as I took it to them after 2000 miles for them to do the roof recall, but we were in some bad storms and had no water anywhere.
Now the realization, you cannot use the microwave, electric kettle or a toaster if you have the fridge and AC on, you have to turn one of them off then you can run one other thing, we chose to turn off the AC as opposed to the fridge running on gas that I am paying for.
All in all things went well, except we have to figure a way to keep the cabinets closed when traveling, we had some come open and things fell out and broke, have not checked the mods threads yet to see if someone has come up with a solution, I was thinking of stick on hooks and small chock cords attached to the door, but still thinking about it.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
lightning79

My smoke detector is very sensitive as well, I wonder if anyone else will chime in on this one.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
Terrydactile

Sounds like you had a good time. BTW, the fridge uses a minuscule amount of gas. It is basically just an oversized pilot light, nothing like a furnace or water heater. You could probably run the fridge on gas for a month on a tank of LP, maybe more.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Javi

We use rubber bands to keep the cabinets closed.... a couple of wraps around the knobs and good to go...

30 amp service is that way... cut the air off when using the microwave...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
fla-gypsy

When we are cooking I take the smoke detector down and throw it on the couch. I am able to run fridge, AC, and HW on electric at one time with no issues. If I add the toaster it just depends on whether the WH is cycling if it will throw a breaker but most of the time it does not. The MW, hair dryers, etc require some power management. That is just the limits of 30 amp service. It is 3600 watts max no matter what.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Dhuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning79 View Post
My smoke detector is very sensitive as well, I wonder if anyone else will chime in on this one.
mine was doing the same, I took it down and moved it on other side of divider temp. to see if it wouldnt go off when cooking and it worked,had stove fan on and fantstic fan on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01183.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	3000   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01184.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	3001  

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Greysquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
We use rubber bands to keep the cabinets closed.... a couple of wraps around the knobs and good to go...

30 amp service is that way... cut the air off when using the microwave...
We only have one handle so that won't work, thinking about putting a Command strip hook inside the cabinet and on the door and running a small bungee cord between them, I have some very small ones that would probably work.
Ether that or cut a piece of thin plywood like a door skin half way up the opening and velcro it in from the inside. Right now the TT is getting the roof recall done when I get it back I will experiment and see what works the easiest.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote